Cooking for One - A Couple of Recipes

SeaBreeze

Endlessly Groovin'
These look like interesting dishes for those who live alone. http://energytimes.com/pages/departments/1203/cooking1203.html

Eating alone is no excuse to not enjoy healthful creations from your kitchen.
By Lisa James
March 2012
Ratatouille-CIA-Ben-Fink.jpg

According to the US Census Bureau, more than 31 million people live alone. While that doubt*lessly means a number of lives filled with dinners eaten out and take-out eaten in, for many people “cooking for one is a fact of daily living. Far from dreading it, they find it to be a satisfying, fun, rewarding activity,” say Mark Erickson, CMC, and Lisa Erickson, graduates of the Culinary Institute of America and authors of Cooking for One (Lebhar-Friedman).

The Ericksons believe that solo cooking requires a strategy. First, approach mealtimes intentionally to “make cooking and eating dinner an integral part of the day.” Commit to making food that includes a variety of fresh, flavorful components so that boredom doesn’t set in (and to make meals healthier as well).

It also helps to take the drudgework out of cooking, starting with proper equipment. “You don’t need a lot of tools, just the right tools—sharp knives, good pans and a few hand tools,” say the Ericksons. They recommend getting an instant-read thermometer and a pair of kitchen shears, which can handle heavier jobs than regular scissors.

A little menu planning can make both cooking and shopping easier. The Ericksons suggest looking for fresh, seasonal ingredients and using them in a variety of recipes; for example, figs bought for skewering with meat one night can serve as part of breakfast the next morning. Double the ingredients in a recipe and pop the extra portion into the freezer. Use time spent waiting for food to cook to start something else: Soaking beans for soup the following evening, roasting a chicken breast for the next day’s lunch.

Living alone doesn’t mean always having to eat out of containers. You can make healthy, enjoyable meals for yourself.

ET Recipe

Ratatouille

2 cups large-dice eggplant
1/2 medium zucchini, cut into large dice
1/2 medium yellow squash, cut into large dice
1/3 red pepper, cut into large dice
1/4 onion, cut into large dice
1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground black
pepper, to taste
1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tbsp red wine
1/4 cup chicken stock (homemadeor low-fat and -sodium)
2 tbsp slivered basil

1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place vegetables (except tomatoes and garlic) on a lipped baking sheet, drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss until evenly coated. Bake, uncovered,
for 20 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic, turn with a spatula to distribute evenly and bake until all vegetables are tender, another 10 minutes.

2. Remove from the oven. Add wine and stock; mix well, scraping the sheet bottom. Pour into a small casserole, return to the oven and bake, uncovered, until vegetables are tender and wine has mellowed, another10 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper, and sprinkle with basil.

Serves 1. Analysis per serving: 320 calories, 5g protein,
21g fat (3g saturated), 10g fiber, 25g carbohydrate, 62 mg sodium
Recipe from The Culinary Institute of America's Cooking For One (Lebhar-Friedman, 2011) available at bookstores nationwide or at www.ciaprochef.com/fbi/books.html.

Polenta

1/4 cup medium-coarse or coarse stone-ground cornmeal
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp butter (optional)
1 tbsp grated Parmesan
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Whisk together cornmeal, water and salt. Pour into a heavy 1-qt casserole dish and bake,
uncovered, for 40 minutes. The polenta will be nearly done at this point.

3. Add the milk and butter, and stir well until the butter is blended in and the polenta is smooth.
Continue to bake until the polenta is fully cooked and creamy, 10 minutes more.

4. Stir in the remaining ingredients and serve.

Serves 1. Analysis: 266 calories, 10g protein, 5g fat (2g saturated),
44g carbohydrates, 5g fiber

Source: The Culinary Institute of America's Cooking For One
(Lebhar-Friedman, 2011) available at bookstores nationwide or at www.ciaprochef.com/fbi/books.html.

Will give this a try!

This looks like a great recipe that could be used all year by changing the combination of vegetables.

I think the leftovers would make a nice soup for lunch the next day, just run a knife through the vegetables, add some tomato juice or chicken stock and zap in the microwave until hot.

Keep those ideas coming, this could make a very helpful thread!!!

Cherry Tomato and Basil Omelette for One

1490_1_1436957856.jpg

More information here. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/eggs-recipes/tomato-and-basil-omelette/

Tomato and basil omelette

A super-quick, easy and delicious meal

“The classic combination of tomato and basil makes this simple omelette really sing ”

Serves 1

Cooks In 25 minutes

Difficulty Super easy

Eggs, Gluten-free, Vegetarian

Ingredients

• 2 sprigs of fresh basil
  • 3 cherry tomatoes
  • 2 large free-range eggs
  • sea salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • olive oil

Method

• Omelettes don’t always need to be folded in half with the filling inside, you can leave the omelette open and sprinkle over your favourite ingredients before finishing it under a hot grill until it’s bubbling and delicious.
  • 1. Pick the leaves off the basil and roughly tear them.
  • 2. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half on a chopping board.
  • 3. Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl.
  • 4. Add a tiny pinch of salt and pepper.
  • 5. Beat well with a fork until fully combined.
  • 6. Place a small non-stick frying pan on a low heat to warm up. Meanwhile…
  • 7. Add ½ tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and turn the heat up to high.
  • 8. Carefully add the tomatoes and fry for 1 minute.
  • 9. Turn the heat down to low and sprinkle over the basil leaves.
  • 10. Carefully pour in the eggs, then tilt the pan to spread them out evenly.
  • 11. Using a fork, swirl the eggs around the pan a little.
  • 12. When the omelette begins to cook and firm up, but still has a little raw egg on top, use a spatula to ease around the edges of the omelette, then fold it over in half – when it starts to turn golden brown underneath, remove the pan from the heat and slide the omelette on to a plate.

Dijon Brussels Sprouts Grilled Cheese

http://www.acozykitchen.com/dijon-brussels-sprout-grilled-cheese/#more-18019

In the meantime, if you’re searching for a relaxing dinner for one (or two or three – this recipe is easily expandable), look no further. This dinner is perfect for the have-no-time-category.
I have a thing for dijon-spiked Brussels sprouts.

Something about their crunch, along with the bright flavor of mustard I just love. I used some gooey brie for this recipe, but I bet comté, gruyére or even smoked gouda would be amazing. I like my bread seeded because I like seeds. And I dipped in good-quality store-bought tomato soup. If you’re looking for a homemade tomato soup, this one is my favorite.

brusselsproutssandwich.jpg

Dijon Brussels Sprout Grilled Cheese

Yield: 1 sandwich

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
  • 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 shallot, minced
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 6-7 Brussels sprouts, shaved with a mandolin (or sliced thinly using a knife)
  • Sea salt
  • 2 slices bread of choice
  • Brie cheese

Directions

• In medium skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the dijon mustard, minced shallot, pinch of freshly ground pepper and shaved Brussels sprouts; toss the mixture together and cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Salt to taste (my Dijon mustard was very salty so I added only a teeny pinch). Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
  • Spread the remaining 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter on both pieces of bread. Flip the slices over (the buttered sides are the ones that are gonna hit the pan) and liberally add brie to one piece of bread. Top with the Brussels sprouts mixture and the other piece of bread. Carefully transfer to the skillet and cook on low until the bread is toasty and golden brown on both sides and cheese is gooey and melty, about 10 minutes.

Cooking for one. If the recipe is complicated with a lot of ingredients I don't have on hand I'm not about to go out and buy all that stuff.

I like simple recipes.

One I made yesterday.
One red pepper
1 small package of boneless chicken breasts
1 Onion
About five small carrots cut into strips.
1/2 cup of rice.

Cut the chicken breasts into thin strips.
Put them in a fry pan with cooking oil and cook them until white
Set aside.
Cook the rice. 2 water to one rice portion. Bring to boil and then simmer on low heat.
Cut the pepper into thin strips.
I usually steam the vegetables until tender.

Fry pan. Add everything to the pan. Stir fry. Add stir fry sauce. Add soya sauce to the rice.

That's it. Better than a chinese restaurant.

Just missing an egg roll.

These look like interesting dishes for those who live alone. http://energytimes.com/pages/departments/1203/cooking1203.html

Polenta:
We never baked it. It's just cornmeal.

Always in a cast iron pot on the stove and just keep stirring until it's cooked.

That's it. Dump the pot over and cut it with a string.

Maybe next day if you have any left over, fry it in a frying pan.

Usually served with a thin tomato sauce and rabbit is the way I remember it.

Hardly suitable for a single person.

Basic bachelor meal for one

Tagliatelle- Purchased. Egg Pasta
Frozen meatballs- Purchased

Boil the noodles. Cook the meatballs..

Then the noodles get a tomato sauce and the meatballs get a barbecue sauce.

Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. And a crusty bun and a glass of wine should do the trick.basics.jpg

Simple Ham and Potato Skillet Dish

We usually make this once when out on a camping trip, nice easy comfort meal on cooler days. Adjust the amounts of all ingredients to suit yourself.

Ham steak (can be cut and leftover frozen for another time)

Canned Whole White Potatoes (usually buy Del Monte)

Onion

Canned Sweet Peas (or Green Beans)

Butter or light olive oil

Directions:

Saute sliced onion in skillet, using either butter or light olive oil, until soft and caramelized (browned)

Add sliced potatoes when onions are half done, saute together until potatoes are soft and caramelized

Chop ham steak into large bite sized pieces and add when potatoes are tender and browned

Mix and let everything warm, flavors melding

Add sweet peas last, so they don't get mushy

A simple meal to make for one is a grilled cheese sandwich and canned soup. We like to make ours with American Cheese, a thin slice of onion, on Orowheat Oatnut bread, but really any type of bread can be used. For soup we like Wolfgang Puck's Tomato Basil Bisque, but it's not available in all stores.

8129Y2S082L._SY355_.jpg

Back