Could use a few suggestions...

I agree with one pf the other post - I would not trust Craigslist. There are a lot of seniors that are looking for a roommate. The hard part is finding the right one where you both get along with each other. I would have a simple application for them to fill out. I would check references, possibly background check (you never know). As one of the other post suggested, make sure you get to know the person. Talk on the phone a few times and definitely check references.

If it came down to me needing or wanting a roommate - God forbid if anything happens to my husband, I have a few people in mind. My brother in law will be one of them.. he is up in age, he lives in another State but I would trust him to rent a room in my home.

The best to you in your search.
Thanks. :) And yes, I would no doubt do a thorough background check.

Sometimes I wish I had a church home, but no, I don't. I just don't do well in churches. :(
Well, you don't have to have a regular church, just a church you could go to and ask the church secretary about it.
The church secretaries really are up on things. I used to belong to a large Lutheran church, and was friends with the church secretary. She was a fountain of knowledge. I'd be comfortable with someone that has been a long standing member at a local church being a room mate possible. Want to write up a room mate contract, though, here's one you can fill in and have printed out :

https://www.wonder.legal/us/modele/roommate-agreement
There are also senior roommate finding services out there on the web.

Yes, its important to remember we can sometimes find a good friend when we open our homes up. Years ago, we let a mother and her two kids, ages 4 and 14 (from California) live in our garage apt. free. She was a career Air Force vet, with a sad spousal issue - very smart and she lived there for about 6 months. She was able to buy a home on a VA loan and now is so very happy. She's become like my "soul daughter relation". Her youngest, now 11, thinks of us as grandma and grandpa. They come for Thanksgiving & Christmas and other special times throughout the year and we email about every day.

You never know, just need to be "prudent" about the whole thing, and go with your gut, too.

Roommate situations can be stressful at best, even between relatives, friends, and even with people who know each other. Sure, a written contract is mandatory but so many things come up that wouldn't necessarily be spelled out.

-One person might be a chatty drama llama, the other a closed book who prefers talking only when necessary
-Night owl vs early bird (some like to watch TV in wee hours)
-Loud talking on phone
-Heavy walking, door slamming vs tiptoe
-Use of kitchen, bathroom, washer & dryer (share condiments, detergents, toilet paper?)
-Separate or shared coffee maker, dishes, pots & pans?
-Refrigerator and cabinets - separate shelves?
-Sensitivities re: food odors and other smells (perfumes, air fresheners, etc.)
-Personal hygiene (some people are just dirty & smelly)
-Privacy...locks on bedroom doors?

^^These are only SOME of the issues which can cause problems, arguments, and even police calls. Yes, it happens.

My suggestion: Do whatever you need to in order to avoid a shared living situation.

Last edited:
Yes, its important to remember we can sometimes find a good friend when we open our homes up. Years ago, we let a mother and her two kids, ages 4 and 14 (from California) live in our garage apt. free. She was a career Air Force vet, with a sad spousal issue - very smart and she lived there for about 6 months. She was able to buy a home on a VA loan and now is so very happy. She's become like my "soul daughter relation". Her youngest, now 11, thinks of us as grandma and grandpa. They come for Thanksgiving & Christmas and other special times throughout the year and we email about every day.

You never know, just need to be "prudent" about the whole thing, and go with your gut, too.
You’ve got a great heart!

I had roommates when I first moved into my house. When I was still single. This was before Craigslist. I had no computer at the time (early 90s) and put an ad in the local paper. I was in my 40s at the time, and legally could not set a minimum age range. So I asked for a "mature female". I got everything from college students (but I am mature for my age) to people with children. Found my first, about my age and at first she seemed OK. Had references, etc. She asked if it was OK that she had a cat. I said yes, and decided to invite her to move in
Worked out well initially, but she turned out to be an odd one. Spent ALL her time in her bedroom. Even ate there. Aparently even when she was home alone. She started shorting me on rent. Turned out she was also very prejudiced and homophobic. My niece is gay, so that bothered me. Once I had my niece and her then partner over for dinner. Roommate would not even acknowledge them. After they left, she cleaned the entire bathroom...with bleach!! I only say that because she had never deep cleaned the bathroom like that before or since.
I ended up evicting her. For various reasons.
Get references. Even if they seem perfect at first, things may go sideways. Or it may turn out well.

Back