Covid goalposts just keep moving

Brookswood

Driving home today from a trip to the supermarket, I noticed a freeway traffic sign with this message:

Vaccinated or not, Mask Up!! Stay home! Only travel when necessary!

It got me thinking as to how the goalposts have been moved every time things get better. It's not that I am against wearing a mask, avoiding crowds (especially indoors), and keeping a social distance from people not in my bubble. I do all these things. But, being vaccinated, I feel I have the right to some relief from the constant nagging to do this, that and the other things to fight the spread of Covid. Apparently we are not to be allowed an relief from the Covid stress or to take any joy in the development of these wonderful vaccines.

Here is a good summary of how the Covid goalposts just keep moving.

1st - Two or three weeks to Crush the Curve
2nd - Six more weeks to keep the curve down
3rd - Deaths are rising and rising!!
4th - Deaths are down but look at all the new cases!!
5th - New cases are way down compared to a few months ago, but look at all those who are still possibly exposed to infection.
6th - A new variant may pop up that is even worse than the current variants!!! Stay home. Egads!!!!!

Of course covid goal posts keep moving...and... they shall keep moving. The world is dealing with a new virus. Trial and error will occur and as scientists know more... more will be done. This is completely normal!

Go back in history and see what happened during other pandemics and be thankful we have the technology and expertise we have today. When in history have you seen a vaccine produced in so short a time?

I am not discounting the learning that has gone on about this virus. What I am concerned about is the constant negative pounding we get from officials and the news media. No matter what good things happen, we are in trouble according to them. One official recently warned about "impending doom" from another wave of Covid. DOOM! Really?

Health officials in my area say it's now OK to travel if one is fully vaccinated, but we should still stay home.
????? No wonder people are confused.

Well England re-opens tomorrow, after almost a year of closure...It will be interesting to see how many people who have been vaccinated feeling that they no longer have to wear masks... we do of course, to protect ourselves as much as anyone else..., but we're fortunate in that unlike many places we don't have to wear them outside...

I am not discounting the learning that has gone on about this virus. What I am concerned about is the constant negative pounding we get from officials and the news media. No matter what good things happen, we are in trouble according to them. One official recently warned about "impending doom" from another wave of Covid. DOOM! Really?

Health officials in my area say it's now OK to travel if one is fully vaccinated, but we should still stay home.
????? No wonder people are confused.
Thinking people are not only confused. They're suspicious.

Yes, the mutation factor is the most frightening part of all this. We could have a 100% perfect vaccine which everybody on earth received, and the virus could produce a new strain that is impervious to the vaccine. All we can do is keep fighting, and if the vaccine is all we've got to fight with, everyone who is able to get it obviously should. It's like a whack-a-mole game. The virus wants to fight back.

OTOH, this has not happened with most vaccines. Yes, I know about flu, but it isn't that hard to get a new flu shot every year if that's what's needed. And at least most strains of flu don't kill us, or at least they haven't since that Spanish flu epidemic.

With most of the fatal virus pandemics, one shot of vaccine is enough to immunize us for a lifetime.

This pandemic has divided the people in many countries.
1. One group says let's open up the economy and get our lives back on track. The other side says let's lock everything down again.
2. One group says get the jab. The other bunch says getting the jab is dangerous.
3. One group says get rid of those ugly masks. The other group says we should wear masks all the time, even outdoors and you are alone in the woods.

Yes, the rules and recommendations surrounding this virus keep changing....just as the numbers of those being infected keep changing. No one has a definitive answer as to how things will look days/weeks/months from now, especially as this virus starts to Mutate. Then only things people can do is exercise caution, get vaccinated, and exhibit some common sense in their daily activities. We will probably continue to see Spikes and Dips in the numbers, and I expect that to continue for much of this year, at least.

Yes one does everything right to stop the spread of Covid 19 and some dope has too much to drink, hops in his car, and drives 50 mph head on into the poor sap. Hopefully he's driving a new Subaru SUV. 🙄

Thinking people are not only confused. They're suspicious.
Well, about a week ago we crashed through the 3 Million doses a day mark on our way to the 4 million doses per day mark. (Which we achieved yesterday.)

What do we hear from our medical leaders? "Yea! This is better than we planned." "This is GREAT!" We are making great advances towards getting back to normal."

No, we hear that we are on the verge of impending DOOM. DOOM. That means a disaster that cannot be avoided. Look it up.

Today, I heard that we are now thoroughly infected with the variant that is harming India. Yes, the current vaccines are showing they are effective against the variant. Is that cause for optimism? NO! Because we might get a variant that is totally untouchable by our vaccines. No data is given to support this, but it might happen. Horror!

I follow all the stuff we should be doing even though I am fully vaccinated. I avoid crowded places, indoors and outdoor. I wear a mask when indoors away from my house. I rarely hangout with others outside my home, and then only if they are fully vaccinated people. But there are people in positions of influence and power for whom corona virus is their shtick.
It's what makes them more important, earns them more money, garners them attention they would normally have, and allows them to wield power they normally would not have (Hey, it's a public safety emergency!)

No wonder people don't know what to believe.

OK. Enough venting for now.

Last edited:
Pay attention to the "R" factor in your area...that shows the trending of the virus. If the reproduction rate is 1> its going up, if its <1 its trending down.

What answers do you know of that are not honest? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment, but it sounds like you are suggesting that the researchers and physicians are lying to us.
Testing people who were killed in accidents & listing the cause of death as Covid if they test positive. And relying on a test that's 47% accurate.
That's likely how they arrived at the 550,000 deaths figure.
Reporting packed ER's & Hospitals filled to capacity & people dropping like flies, & so many dead bodies, they have to store them on meat trucks in hospital parking lots. I've taken friends to 4 different hospitals - nothing of the sort happening.
Getting immediate approval for an experimental drug by claiming our former president had Covid, was put on a respirator, & the drug cured him in 3 days.
First, masks are "useless," then they're required.
Developing an "effective" vaccine in less than one year & pushing it on frightened people, when vaccines take 10-15 years of study to establish safety & effectiveness.
Yeah.....I believe ya.........

Last edited:
This pandemic has divided the people in many countries.
1. One group says let's open up the economy and get our lives back on track. The other side says let's lock everything down again.
2. One group says get the jab. The other bunch says getting the jab is dangerous.
3. One group says get rid of those ugly masks. The other group says we should wear masks all the time, even outdoors and you are alone in the woods.
The division is terrible. I hate that. It helps nothing and causes more stress which is bad for everyone's health no matter what side you are on.

What you say about the woods is true. I can no longer go for a hike because the hiking area is loaded with people in masks and I feel like WTH. You're in the woods for heaven's sake. I give up.

The division is terrible. I hate that. It helps nothing and causes more stress which is bad for everyone's health no matter what side you are on.

What you say about the woods is true. I can no longer go for a hike because the hiking area is loaded with people in masks and I feel like WTH. You're in the woods for heaven's sake. I give up.
Wish you could come here @chic..as long as you stay at least a metre away from people.where possible.. you do not have to wear a mask outside, and where I live we have lots of woodland, rivers and parks..

Back