Cracks

Have skin cracks beside my thumb nails.
I just get one set healed & the thumb on the other hand starts to crack beside the nail.

Have been washing our dishes by hand in sink full of hot water & Dawn Ulta,, 3X time grease cutting power.

When done washing dishes , clean up is done,,I put Vaseline Intensive Care on my hands.

Suggestions are welcome .

Have skin cracks beside my thumb nails.
I just get one set healed & the thumb on the other hand starts to crack beside the nail.

Have been washing our dishes by hand in sink full of hot water & Dawn Ulta,, 3X time grease cutting power.

When done washing dishes , clean up is done,,I put Vaseline Intensive Care on my hands.

Suggestions are welcome .
My cracks come from having to stoke the fire. Since i started putting some stuff called 'Udderly Smooth' on the finger tips i get them less often and when i do get them they heal faster. The first few winters here i also got cracking on the palm side of my thumbs. Since using the stuff i mentioned i don't get those cracks at all.
I also use a moisturizer on my forearms up to my elbows at least twice a day, cause they get so dry the skin itches. But for that almost any lotion seems to work.

I googled the question about Dawn dish soap:

Dawn and other brands of dish soap are extremely effective at separating grease from surfaces. This also means that it will separate the natural oils that act as a barrier on your skin. Repeated use of dawn dish soap without gloves will dry out your skin and may cause cracking or bleeding.

Solution: use gloves like suggested above and a heavy duty moisturizer:
  • Eucerin unscented Advanced Repair Hand Cream. ...
  • O'Keeffe's Working Hands hand cream. ...
  • Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Hand Cream. ...
  • Jack Black Industrial Strength Hand Healer. ...
  • Badger Balm for Hardworking Hands.

I googled the question about Dawn dish soap:

Dawn and other brands of dish soap are extremely effective at separating grease from surfaces. This also means that it will separate the natural oils that act as a barrier on your skin. Repeated use of dawn dish soap without gloves will dry out your skin and may cause cracking or bleeding.

• Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Hand Cream. ...
  • Jack Black Industrial Strength Hand Healer. ...
  • Badger Balm for Hardworking HandsEucerin unscented Advanced Repair Hand Cream.
Eucerin unscented Advanced Repair Hand Cream...this is the best moisturizer cream I've ever found.

I suggest vinyl kitchen gloves. I have that problem too.. if the cracks get bad, I used a product called Newskin. It stings going on but it heals the crack. And of course your favorite hand cream or lotion when you’re done.

Last edited:
Try rubbing Vaseline on your hands at bedtime and then wear a pair of those brown jersey work gloves on your hands, to keep the Vaseline from getting on your bedclothes.

Last edited:
I agree. I just started using O'Keefe's Working Hands recently, was recommended here a long time about by @applecruncher, but I just continued to use Curel. I like that is has no fragrance and it's not greasy, but it does stay on the skin for a long time and seems to really help with dryness.

I use it once a day, usually in the evening. I gave my husband a tin of it to keep by his end table in the bedroom, he hates any kind of creams and anything that's greasy, but he has used it mainly on the tops of his hands where his knuckles were really dry, and he likes the product. Gloves are a good protection, but many of us don't want to bother to wear them and take them on and off. I use Dawn dish soap, etc. and it's not like Palmolive was advertised back in the day. :)

During the winter, when my hands "take a beating"..
Vitamin E ointment...it is greasy...wear cotton gloves overnight.
Good Luck! 🤞

I have the same problem. Dry skin. The only prevention for me is Gold Bond lotion for Diabetics. But you have to reapply it every time you wash your hands or do dishes.
I also use their foot lotion to prevent cracks.
What I like most about it is it absorbs & doesn't leave the skin oily.

In the winter I waa always battling the skin around my thumbs cracking and skin splitting across my knuckles. It’s a painful thing.

I starting using Jack Black Hand Healer. It’s NOT cheap but MAN does it work! I use it morning and night at the least, and when the cracking and splitting gets really bad I just take it with me to work and use it after every time I wash my hands or when they feel dry.

I told Ron about it. He works with his hands (carpentry/construction) It’s the only stuff he uses on his hands now which start to feel like sandpaper after a couple days if he doesn’t. He also buys it for his crew because it works so well.

Jack Black Industrial Strength Hand Healer https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001B4Z6EO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_J1ZRNV6RZP180F4BHAP2

Back