Critical Race Theory vs. Life Skills and Other Socially Significant Issues.

all hail brothers and sisters - since arriving in Oz some 40 odd years ago I have worked with and for Indigenous folk. I have been invited to their homes ; taken part in some of their rituals and awaiting the results of " A voice to Parliament" referendum with excitement it has been over 200 yrs in the waiting

Critical Race Theory
This has certainly taken on a very controversial meaning. I really did not know much about it and so looked it up on Wikipedia and found:

Critical race theory (CRT) is a cross-disciplinary examination – by social and civil-rights scholars and activists – of how laws, social and political movements, and media shape, and are shaped by, social conceptions of race and ethnicity. The word critical in the name is an academic reference to critical thinking, critical theory, and scholarly criticism, rather than criticizing or blaming people.

As defined above it's hard to disagree with the idea, but I know the term has taken on some real negative connotations, not sure why.

I can see the logic in critically analyzing our system to try and root out unfair treatment of any groups, intentional or not. More often I like to think its unintentional.

One example I can think of is sentencing for crimes, I understand black men are generally sentenced to more time in jail than white men for the same crime, and that men are generally sentenced to more time than women. Verifying the truth of this and, if true, fixing it makes a lot of sense, and I think the majority of Americans would agree. This seems to me to fall under the Critical Race Theory definition. So long as cooler heads and logic prevails this seems to me to be a good thing.

DEMOGRAPHIC DIFFERENCES IN SENTENCING
https://www.ussc.gov/research/research-reports/demographic-differences-sentencing

This has certainly taken on a very controversial meaning. I really did not know much about it and so looked it up on Wikipedia and found:

Critical race theory (CRT) is a cross-disciplinary examination – by social and civil-rights scholars and activists – of how laws, social and political movements, and media shape, and are shaped by, social conceptions of race and ethnicity. The word critical in the name is an academic reference to critical thinking, critical theory, and scholarly criticism, rather than criticizing or blaming people.

As defined above it's hard to disagree with the idea, but I know the term has taken on some real negative connotations, not sure why.
Like many issues and concepts, the slanted media has taken the meaning out of context, weaponized it and uses it to invoke fear and rage among the followers.

Like many issues and concepts, the slanted media has taken the meaning out of context, weaponized it and uses it to invoke fear and rage among the followers.
Thanks Nathan, this seems to me to be a growing problem, maybe its always been one but I think it is on the rise.

Don't know a word or name for it. It appears to me one side or the other kind of invents positions, attributes them to the other side and attacks. In reality they are attacking their own constructs... Easier to attack something you made up than to address reality.

Maybe because it's California, I didn't think East Oakland looked as terrifying as it's reputation.
I'm sure it's a different story at night. Pictures I've seen of Baltimore and other cities appear much worse.
Some of the houses were cute, some of the streets were in good shape. I guess the fences with barbed wire would be a clue though.
Maybe I'm equating crime cities with homeless cities, the homeless ones looking much more third world.
"Black flight". Interesting.

Maybe because it's California, I didn't think East Oakland looked as terrifying as it's reputation.
I lived in Oakland for 20 years, trust the reputation. The hills tend to be safer, although some friends bought a house in those hills, rented a truck and did their own moving. During the move they went to lunch, returned, and had been cleaned out. I knew of someone who went to Oakland to do some err, shopping, and was never seen again. A neighboring town, Richmond, is a great place if you are in the window bar business, and the high school has achieved internet fame.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/richmond-high-gang-rape-victim_n_3389573

Last edited:

Back