Daily Allowance

Allowances for children[edit]
Parents often give their children an allowance (British English: pocket money) for their miscellaneous personal spending, and also to teach them money management at an early age.[1][2] The parenting expert Sidonie Gruenberg popularized this concept in 1912.

Usually young children get "gift" allowances. For some parents, when children are old enough to start doing chores, an allowance becomes "exchange" money. Later, as the child grows older, some parents give children projects they can choose or ignore, and this type of allowance can be called "entrepreneurial."
A 2019 study by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants found the average allowance paid to U.S. children was $30 per week.[3]

WOW! Inflation $30/week. I got 10 cents/week in 1956. If your stock was 10 cents/share 65 years ago and $30/share today would you be happy?

I got 25 cents a week because my parents always said that this is what the Kennedy kids got (Kennedy was president at the time). For that, I mowed the lawn on Saturdays (it rarely rained in Los Angeles except in Feb-April), did dishes, and took out the trash. No work, no pay other than punishment.

Tony

I was always a tightwad. At least, that’s what my friends called me. I didn’t date much because that cost too much. A girl invited me to go to a dance with her when I was in the 11th grade. I thanked her, but told her I was broke. She offered to pay and that made me feel bad (guilty).

I relented and took her and paid for the evening. The next day, my dad asked me if I had a good time. I told him not really. Then he asked me how much I spent because he said, “I know you have it down to the penny. That’s why you didn’t have a good time.” He then said, “You better get over being a cheapskate.”

no allowance here. mom did give me 20 bucks on fridays to go to the arcade and play video games and pinball machines. oh and foosball.

It wasn't until later in life I found out we were poor. I thought delivering papers at an early age with my older brother was normal. No money for us that was handed over to my mother. At age 8 I lucked out & got a job at a local mom & pop grocery store stocking shelves & bagging groceries, my money was handed over to my mother. That lasted for a few years until I was big enough to mow lawns to make more money. I got to keep some but most went to my mother. In high school the ne D I [distributive education]program allowed for 1/2 day school the rest working at a job. Started making more than my father so I helped with buying clothes for my younger brothers & food. Of course buying my cars, car insurance & maintenance.

When I came home after Navy boot camp my mother explained to me that the money I gave her all those years bought food & clothes for our family. My Dad was legally blind but refused to feel sorry for himself & found a job he could do. Didn't make a big wage as I found out in my teen years.

Looking back maybe that was that catalyst for the successes I've had during my life. When my sons were teens I bought their 1st. cars but made them help get ready by brake replacement and every other repair needed before they drove their cars. They were also responsible for insurance, ongoing maintenance. End result responsible adults working at jobs needed during this pandemic.

While growing up, I had always felt guilty about money. I was a very fortunate child and then adult. I was one of those kids people talked about with being born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Enough said about this subject.

No allowance. My parents could not afford to give me any. My second husband had the same silver spoon as oldman. It was a disservice to him.

Back