Dark of night

squatting dog

We don't have as far to go, as we've already been
Sometimes here, 50 years later people ask me if I was afraid of the danger that surrounded us. I simply tell them that, in the dark of night and at the small sound of a twig breaking outside of our ambush site, I was at that moment, the most dangerous animal in the jungle.

No one spoke about being afraid, but at night, I think most of us were. You become hyper-vigilant. Your heart beats faster and your breathing becomes labored. If we were in the jungle at night, we stopped and rested. You can’t see anything and you tried to be as quiet as possible. During heavy rains, animals and reptiles also became another problem to deal with.

Sometimes here, 50 years later people ask me if I was afraid of the danger that surrounded us. I simply tell them that, in the dark of night and at the small sound of a twig breaking outside of our ambush site, I was at that moment, the most dangerous animal in the jungle.
Fear? There is always plenty of that to go around during war. Fighting men learn to rise above fear and become absolute destructive warriors. Whether on land, in the air or on the sea, our will to beat the enemy shall prevail.

I can not imagine what it is like. I remember having a dream which seemed very real and I can never forget it. I was in the middle of a battle and woke up thinking ..so that is what it is like..It was horrible but I am sure actually being there is worse than I could imagine or dream up ..Thank you for your service. (y)

It took only a few shared lines from their experience in Vietnam to have a better understanding of reality.

I can not imagine what it is like. I remember having a dream which seemed very real and I can never forget it. I was in the middle of a battle and woke up thinking ..so that is what it is like..It was horrible but I am sure actually being there is worse than I could imagine or dream up ..Thank you for your service. (y)
Very few words, but enough to know some were screaming for water in their sleep upon return, one held on to the outside of a helicopter during take off to survive and another said children had guns and were using them to help fight in the war..

Very few words, but enough to know some were screaming for water in their sleep upon return, one held on to the outside of a helicopter during take off to survive and another said children had guns and were using them to help fight in the war..
So sad and tragic:cry::(

Back