Darn Those Statins!

Packerjohn

Packerjohn
For the last several years I have been experiencing chest pains. Told my doctor a couple of times but he wasn't excited at all nor did he do anything more than send me for chest X-rays. Now for the last few days I keep getting a sharp pain on the left side of my chest near my arm pit. I think it is those darn satins I have been taking. The name of the drug is Rosuvastatin Calcium.

Think I will talk to my pharmacist tomorrow as they often are more up to date than some doctors. What do you think? Anyone here have a history of Satin use & sharp jabbing pain? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

I use that same drug but have not had any pain. If you are experiencing pain on left side you might be having a heart attack, need a stent, something like that. You should go to the ER. You are describing a classic symptom.

On a more serious note, I take that same Statin you do. Rosuvastatin Calcium. The brand name is Crestor. I've been taking 10mg a day for a long time and never had any side effects that I know of. My doctor back in Florida bumped me up to 20 mg because one of my chloresterol numbers was just a tiny bit out of the ideal range. After being on that for a while I was getting muscle aches. I read up on it and found that Crestor can do that, so I started cutting the 20mg tabs in half and the aches went away. When I told my doctor that he went back to prescribing the 10mg dose. No problems since.

Do you think your pain might be muscle aches? If so, the drug might be the cause. But chest pain can also be a sign of something serious. I'd say get it checked out.

Last edited:
I was taking Atorvastatin (Lipitor) but stopped due to muscle pain.

Then the count went up, so now I'm taking Finofibrate with no muscle pain.

My doctor said Coq2 supplement can help with the muscle aches.

@Packerjohn it may be statin induced cramps but you absolutely MUST report this pain to your doc. Be well.

I mentioned this before:

You guys who take statins & experience muscle pain are actually luckier than you realize. You had side effects that warned you before things got really bad.

A retired pharmacist in my diabetes support group was angry at me because I brought some literature that talked about the muscle issues caused by statins & also how they can raise blood sugar & bring on diabetes. He told us he had been taking statins on his doctor's advice & how much they "helped" him. Helped him??? He already had a stroke & a heart attack while on statins, so....how did they help him?

He missed the next several meetings & when he returned, he was in a wheelchair. It was terrible to see a previously - active, tennis-playing guy in a wheelchair, especially when he told us it was permanent.

He explained what happened. He was relaxing after a game of tennis, watching TV. When he got up from his chair, his legs wouldn't work. He couldn't even crawl to the kitchen or bathroom. He was on the floor for 4 days with no food or water before his son came by when he couldn't reach him on the phone. After the hospital, he was in a convalescent home for a month. That was the last time we saw him.

Rosuvastatin 40mg here . Been thinking about weaning myself off it all together. I was on Lipitor 80mg , that booger hurt.

I recently tried to get off my pain meds...not a fun experiment . Might try again, but at a more gradual rate.

Last edited:
We are all lay persons, we have only 'hearsay' information.
Get on phone, TODAY- tell your doc to refer you to a Cardiologist today.
or do as Pepper said on Post #3.
(My doc passes off my complaints as, 'Well, you know at your age...')
Sounds like you doc is sluffing you off due to age.

For the last several years I have been experiencing chest pains. Told my doctor a couple of times but he wasn't excited at all nor did he do anything more than send me for chest X-rays. Now for the last few days I keep getting a sharp pain on the left side of my chest near my arm pit

I would want to have this all checked out, by someone other than that doctor of yours.

Simple easy tests like EKG, (in office or outpatient in hospital) and Echocardiogram, (Outpatient; And neither test is invasive or difficult)
could rule in or out, so many possibilities that would be better to know about,
and would let you know if any further tests are advisable.
No way to guess if the Statins are causing part of your difficulties or not, imo, even though pharmacists generally do have lots of great knowledge.

We are all lay persons, we have only 'hearsay' information.
Get on phone, TODAY- tell your doc to refer you to a Cardiologist today.
or do as Pepper said on Post #3.
(My doc passes off my complaints as, 'Well, you know at your age...')
Sounds like you doc is sluffing you off due to age.
Ditto to all the above!!!!! Don't go to the internet, go to your doctor!!!!!

I agree with Ken N Tx 100%. There is a lot of misinformation on the internet. There are reliable site, like Mayo Clinic, but many sites are being sponsored by some drug or other so don't expect good advice without self-interest. By the way, I have been twice for stress tests at a hospital over the last few years so I know my heart is OK. I also have a complete medical every year since I turned 50.

STOP! All of those statin drugs are derived from research on RED YEAST RICE! It is a natural product that's been used for over two thousand years in Asian countries. I turned my old doctor onto it, after my dad told me about it. That doctor had his nurse call me to tell me he'd never doubt me, again.

It cut my cholesterol and trigs in half, after only one month! I take 500 mg. in alternation with 500 mg. of Niacin.

Do your own research! It works, no side effects, whatsoever. I've been taking it for over twenty years.

You know it's serious stuff, because Big Pharma tried to get its sale banned.

I agree with Ken N Tx 100%. There is a lot of misinformation on the internet. There are reliable site, like Mayo Clinic, but many sites are being sponsored by some drug or other so don't expect good advice without self-interest. By the way, I have been twice for stress tests at a hospital over the last few years so I know my heart is OK. I also have a complete medical every year since I turned 50.

A dear friend of mine had a detailed stress test workup before his shoulder surgery. He was told he was in superb shape. He died less than two months later from Sudden Cardiac Death while bicycling to work, something he'd been doing for the past year. He died in spite of the fact that a nurse was riding behind him, administered CPR, and he was in one of the best hospitals in Chicago, within ten minutes from the onset of the event.

I did research on his tragedy and found that cardiac events after shoulder surgery are a definite associated risk.

STOP! All of those statin drugs are derived from research on RED YEAST RICE! It is a natural product that's been used for over two thousand years in Asian countries. I turned my old doctor onto it, after my dad told me about it. That doctor had his nurse call me to tell me he'd never doubt me, again.

It cut my cholesterol and trigs in half, after only one month! I take 500 mg. in alternation with 500 mg. of Niacin.

Do your own research! It works, no side effects, whatsoever. I've been taking it for over twenty years.

You know it's serious stuff, because Big Pharma tried to get its sale banned.

I have researched red yeast rice , and while I did find that it does lower cholesterol, as well/nearly as well as some statins......I also read on several sites that the side effects are nearly the same. Including muscle aches .

Also, the main active ingredient monacolin 'k' is not regulated by the FDA or anyone for that matter, as such could be at danger levels for kidney health?

Not disputing your word, or what you may have found. Just sharing what i have found.

My doctor put me on zimvastatin (Zocor) only because she deemed me diabetic because of an A1C of 6.1, She started me at 40 mg and my LDL went down 50 but that wasn't good enough for her. Anyway at the same time I was reading in the newspaper about Zocor and how there were bad side effects such as muscle problems especially at the higher strength levels. So what did she do? She said she was going to up me to 80 mg. At the same time, I had a bone density test via my gynecologist and the result was normal. But my doctor said she was going to put me on Actonel anyway, just in case. That same medication that can cause jaw bones and thigh bones to break. And I didn't even need it!

That was it! I never went back.

Last edited:
My doctor put me on zimvastatin (Zocor) only because she deemed me diabetic because of an A1C of 6.1, She started me at 40 mg and my LDL went down 50 but that wasn't good enough for her. Anyway at the same time I was reading in the newspaper about Zocor and how there were bad side effects such as muscle problems especially at the higher strength levels. So what did she do? She said she was going to up me to 80 mg. At the same time, I had bone density test via my gynecologist and the result was normal. But my doctor said she was going to put me on Actonel anyway, just in case. That same medication that can cause jaw bones and thigh bones to break. And I didn't even need it!

That sounds like a good doctor to stay away from. She must be getting paid by the drug companies to push their stuff.

My A1C usually runs around where yours is or even a little higher and all I've ever been told is that I'm pre-diabetic and should watch my sugar intake. And an LDL of 50 is crazy low.

Exactly! 50 LDL is already darn low. What did she think she was doing? Was I some kind of experiment to see if a person could live without LDL?

Another thing, one time when I had a bad cold, I developed pink eye, I guess from rubbing eyes being they were watery and irritated. So, I went to my Ophthalmologist to get it checked out and getting some medication for it. Right after that appointment I went to my doctor to get some cold medication and then she noticed my pink eye and I told her I had just been to my Ophthalmologist and got something for it. And she was perturbed because I hadn't gone to her for it.

And when after a blood test where after she said just the same as someone would talk about the weather that I was diabetic, she sat there and smiled and said that now I have to come see her every three months. Oh, joy.

Exactly! 50 LDL is already darn low. What did she think she was doing? Was I some kind of experiment to see if a person could live without LDL?

Another thing, one time when I had a bad cold, I developed pink eye, I guess from rubbing eyes being they were watery and irritated. So, I went to my Ophthalmologist to get it checked out and getting some medication for it. Right after that appointment I went to my doctor to get some cold medication and then she noticed my pink eye and I told her I had just been to my Ophthalmologist and got something for it. And she was perturbed because I hadn't gone to her for it.

And when after a blood test where after she said just the same as someone would talk about the weather that I was diabetic, she sat there and smiled and said that now I have to come see her every three months. Oh, joy.

Sounds like her main concern was generating as much revenue as possible.

My doctor put me on zimvastatin (Zocor) only because she deemed me diabetic because of an A1C of 6.1, She started me at 40 mg and my LDL went down 50 but that wasn't good enough for her. Anyway at the same time I was reading in the newspaper about Zocor and how there were bad side effects such as muscle problems especially at the higher strength levels. So what did she do? She said she was going to up me to 80 mg. At the same time, I had a bone density test via my gynecologist and the result was normal. But my doctor said she was going to put me on Actonel anyway, just in case. That same medication that can cause jaw bones and thigh bones to break. And I didn't even need it!

"Doctor?" Legalized drug pusher is more like it.

I think you're referencing P:ackerjohn, because I'm not having those things. What you need to do is go to his post and click on "reply" so that there's no confusion.

My mother-in-law’s doctor put her on Lipitor I guess it’s a cholesterol control medication, her liver became inflamed and she was hospitalized for almost 2 weeks and she came close to dying. Apparently one of the side effects is liver damage!

My mother-in-law’s doctor put her on Lipitor I guess it’s a cholesterol control medication, her liver became inflamed and she was hospitalized for almost 2 weeks and she came close to dying. Apparently one of the side effects is liver damage!

Yes, absolutely!

Besides the risk of statins, the worst thing about them is the questionable benefits.
When my doctor suggested I start taking statins "to protect me because I have diabetes," I did some research that was interesting. Studies in areas where people had high cholesterol had lower heart disease & stroke rates. Very few doctors will tell their patients that, for obvious reasons.

Back