Daughter to have ACL surgery...any director 2nd hand experience?

Probably 2nd hand about kids/grandkids would be best.

For people like us, ACL repair/replace is probably not indicated, nor do we often engage in the activities that cause a torn ACL.

I've had old-school knee surgery in the 70s/80s/90s but it's nothing like what they do now. No one would touch an ACL back then, so far as I know. Mainly just minicus.

Any experiences appreciated!

My son had ACL surgery in high school. It can be hard depending of the age and level of fitness. He did have a lot of pain but it was his first surgery. It was done in surgery center and he came home that evening.

They sent a contraption to the house. Set it up, got him situated. It was basically a thing his leg fit in and it moved the knee, like in a cycling kind of motion. It also had a pump where cold water was used to keep the swelling and pain down. He went throught physical therapy for a couple of months. He was on crutchs for a little while. He did do well and was able to compete in the spring, track and pole vaulting. He did wear a brace. Has not had any problems since.

She will need some one there to cook, help in the bathroom and just to move around at first. Someone should go thru the house and arrange furniture so that she can move about on crutchs, take up rugs that are a tripping hazard. Hope that helps. This was about 18 years ago, I am sure there have been advances made since then.

Back