Davey Do

Davey Do

I'm a 63 year old nurse who has worked in the medical field for over 40 years and desire to discuss this stage of Erikson's Integrity vs Despair. I can see the retirement light at the end of the work tunnel and desire to discuss my thoughts and feelings with like souls.

I work three 12 hour midnight weekend shifts and this is where I'm at right now:

retire2.jpg

Last edited:
Ha!! ^^^^^^^^ That's exactly how I felt 2 years ago at 62 when I took the jump to retirement.....

welcome61.jpg

Thank you for your post, hollydolly. As I previously stated, I wanted to discuss retirement with others.

What was it that caused you to make the decision to retire?

I have been retired for 4yrs now with my move ...to be honest it was getting to me --but when I did it took some getting used too'
but do not miss it at all now …….

Hi Davey Do welcome glad you found us
I used to work at a local hospital,3 days/wk as a pharmacy tech.My job was delivering narcotics to 16 floors nursing units/speciality labs e.g. ICU,CCU.It was alot of walking,bending,paperwork.I had enough,took early retirement in March'11
There is a 'retirement' section on the website,you might want to ck it out
You'll meet some wonderful people here from around the world,enjoy yourself
Sue in Buffalo,NY

I worked past retirement age because I absolutely loved my job. I'm a retired uni prof of sociology, so what's not to love - I love learning; I loved my students; I loved the challenge of research. . . I only retired when I could not stand being married anymore and got a divorce. Since my job was in his home town and not mine and I had no family there whatsoever, I retired and moved "back home."

As a follow-up, though, the university has changed so much in the past few years that I would have grown to dislike the politics, so I made the right decision as now I'm free to travel and do whatever I like.

I loved working and loved working 7 days a week 12 hours per day with one weekend a month off. But I always viewed retiring as a natural progression in my life like graduating from school and going to work. Maybe "stages" would be more suitable description of our lives. It was simply time to go. I emailed my co-workers the day I cleaned out my office, They trickled in throughout the day to say farewell. At the end of the day I simply walked out of the office jumped in my truck and drove away.

Welcome from Houston! I retired at 62 as we were all laid off at the office due to our hospital being sold to a group in St Louis. I still do accounting at home for a few friends so I guess I am semi retired!

Hi Davey Do, and welcome to Senior forums! I am 77 and retired 13 years ago. I never thought of retirement as another life, but rather as a doorway to another life. An escape hatch, really! Don't forget to close and lock the door, and move on. Wishing you many happy days ahead!

Back