Dear Diary... Giving This a Try!

CallMeKate

I'll admit I'm curious about this "diaries" section of the forum... but not quite sure what we're supposed to be doing with them. Just add random thoughts as we wish? Are there guidelines? And we just keep adding to our own diary thread when we have something new to add and not start a new diary thread for each new topic, right?

I used to be into diary/journaling pretty heavily when I was a teen and onward until a few years ago. I lost my precious brother... and then a beloved pet a year later... and then my daddy, the dearest man in the world. I just couldn't take starting journal entries with "I can't believe I'm having to write this" with trembling hands from the shock... so I pretty much stopped writing anything at all.

So how many of you keep a diary thread here❓ And how would I get a notification when you post... by hitting the "follow" in your profile?

Yes you just keep adding to your diary. People will pop in and post their thoughts on your posts ..sometimes a lot sometimes not...

Funny thing is..I keep a regular Diary at home.. journal every single day , have done for since my DD was born almost 47 years ago... but in the 9 years I've been here, never been tempted to start a public diary.

Good luck..

Yes you just keep adding to your diary. People will pop in and post their thoughts on your posts ..sometimes a lot sometimes not...

Funny thing is..I keep a regular Diary at home.. journal every single day , have done for since my DD was born almost 47 years ago... but in the 9 years I've been here, never been tempted to start a public diary.
Thanks, @hollydolly ... should be fun. Let me know if you start one! No idea what I'll be writing about, but I can pretty much guarantee that it won't be the same kind of things (well, usually!) that I would write in paper (i.e. private) journals. :oops:

Well here we are again... nearing bedtime. I used to look forward to it... to just relax for a while. But I haven't had more than 4-5 hours of sleep for about 15 years now. It's always the same... eyes pop open at 1:30 a.m. (or 2 if I'm lucky) and that's it... stare into the darkness for a few hours until I get up at 5. Oh my, that sounds depressing :oops: but I suppose I'm used to it.

I won't take meds for it... I don't like taking anything. I've tried melatonin and I wake up four or five times *before* 2 a.m. when I do that. Valerian is like taking an M&M but haven't done that for years and it's now recommended to not be taken for more than 28 days. Oh, and melatonin also gives me vivid dreams which are not the good variety.

So what do I do? I try my very best to have a restful and deep 4 hours and call it a success. Fortunately I have no trouble at all falling asleep... just waking hours too early with no chance of falling back to sleep. I have some work to do here now and then it's bedtime in a few hours. Nighty night, all. :sleep:

Good luck..
I wish so much I'd kept a diary. :(
I have a blank journal next to my bed and plan to start writing memories as they pop up.
You've motivated me to "get ur done!" thanks!

I'll admit I'm curious about this "diaries" section of the forum... but not quite sure what we're supposed to be doing with them. Just add random thoughts as we wish? Are there guidelines? And we just keep adding to our own diary thread when we have something new to add and not start a new diary thread for each new topic, right?

I used to be into diary/journaling pretty heavily when I was a teen and onward until a few years ago. I lost my precious brother... and then a beloved pet a year later... and then my daddy, the dearest man in the world. I just couldn't take starting journal entries with "I can't believe I'm having to write this" with trembling hands from the shock... so I pretty much stopped writing anything at all.

So how many of you keep a diary thread here❓ And how would I get a notification when you post... by hitting the "follow" in your profile?
I've wondered too but I think I'll start with a private one.
Others may do better in a forum setting.

I've kept a diary since I was about 15 years old. Adding entries every night except for a few misses was my quiet mode and quiet time. Eventually I stopped when I was married. Since I've been divorced, I started up writing again. But, after about every five years or so, I throw one diary out. It is amazing what personal thoughts I enter. No way would I ever start one online. I don't share everything I do, know, or think for the public.
For those that are comfortable doing this, I am happy they can. I enjoy their posts.

A keto YouTube channel and community I am in is a married couple. The husband, Joe had trouble sleeping for years. In the fall, they changed their bedtime to earlier and set their television in their bedroom to turn off early. At 8 PM. They would then read or talk or even play a board game. No electronics in there, even phones. They started going to sleep by 10:30 and now sleep the whole night. Oh yeah, they do not eat anything after 6 PM. He says it changed him. I think he also takes magnesium, not sure if he continued with it.

I have one. I don't often read other member's Diaries, though. Maybe because I use mine to write about personal things. Mostly stuff that bums me out or sets me off....emotional stuff, I guess. But probably not everyone uses theirs in the same way.

I should check out a few.

Bereavement is a pain like no other, truly my condolences to you. About keeping a diary, elsewhere you might see a photo of my vintage MG, my avatar will give you some idea. We have had much fun and many adventure with that lovely old MG. It's featured on the front page of Germany's MG club magazine, a publication called MG Kurier. Here in the UK there's a famous motor museum run by one, Lord Beaulieu, called The Beaulieu (pronounced Bewley) Motor Museum. We have been on the front page of their brochure. Our car has become quite a celebrity locally, appearing on the New Forest MG car club's website. So much more, it's even carried a bride to her nuptials,and what has all this to do with a diary? Old fashion me has kept a journal of all our adventures, lots of photos as well as press cuttings and my own ramblings. Dinosaur that I am, none of it is on line, on line? Trains run on line, I write, not quite with a quill pen, although I can write in italic script, it's all typed out and entered into a journal.
Jessica's file 001.JPG

I have one. I don't often read other member's Diaries, though. Maybe because I use mine to write about personal things. Mostly stuff that bums me out or sets me off....emotional stuff, I guess. But probably not everyone uses theirs in the same way.

I should check out a few.
I'm still not sure I'll be using it much... I don't intend to write really personal things. I'd probably start a new post in another section if something is grinding on my nerves. I want to check out a few others here, too... but to find out what's really swimming around in this head of mine, (scary place sometimes!) you'd need a superpower to mind read. 🤯

Bereavement is a pain like no other, truly my condolences to you. About keeping a diary, elsewhere you might see a photo of my vintage MG, my avatar will give you some idea. We have had much fun and many adventure with that lovely old MG.
Thank you, @horseless carriage ... and yes, it really is. That old thing about time healing... it's a fabrication. Your MG is stunning (if a vehicle can be called stunning!) Beautiful. And I think it's wonderful that you hand journal.

Back