declutter

When my two grandchildren were each 2 at the time I opened an account for each at a brokerage with $6000 each. The accounts have grown considerably since 1998 and 2002. I told this to a friend of mine and suggested she do it for her baby grandson. She told me she is buying Disney collectibles for him instead. I wanted to say something similar to Debodun's article, but shockingly managed to keep my mouth shut. I remember one economist saying that collectibles are hobbies and not investments.

All that said. One of our most celebrated and eminent Antique experts here in the UK, ( and we have several antique shows on TV as well where people bring their items along to be auctioned off)... said that , the antiques of tomorrow are the disposables of today.

Everything that you would think would belong in the bin, plastic free toys in junk food meals, badges, older mobile phones ..the list is endless, but he said if he was to start as a young collector nowadays and be sure things would be worth a lot in 50 years it would be the throwaway items of today...

When my two grandchildren were each 2 at the time I opened an account for each at a brokerage with $6000 each. The accounts have grown considerably since 1998 and 2002. I told this to a friend of mine and suggested she do it for her baby grandson. She told me she is buying Disney collectibles for him instead. I wanted to say something similar to Debodun's article, but shockingly managed to keep my mouth shut. I remember one economist saying that collectibles are hobbies and not investments.
It'd be better if she bought Disney stock...

It'd be better if she bought Disney stock...
You're damn right! I bought it for myself at $47 and it's now $146. I bought Netflix for my granddaughter with profit money from Marvel Comics (bought by Disney) and have sold some shares for profit so many times to buy other stocks that her remaining shares are actually "below zero cost".

I moved; sold some stuff; gave a lot to charity shops. I don't miss any of it. Feel real good about being free. Don't even like shopping. Today people are shopping "like they are possessed by the devil", since it's ONLY 4 days until Christmas. I'm staying at home & watch my plants grow. No sweat; no stress; money stays in the bank & I'm looking forward to my charge card bill on January 21!

I moved; sold some stuff; gave a lot to charity shops. I don't miss any of it. Feel real good about being free. Don't even like shopping. Today people are shopping "like they are possessed by the devil", since it's ONLY 4 days until Christmas. I'm staying at home & watch my plants grow. No sweat; no stress; money stays in the bank & I'm looking forward to my charge card bill on January 21!

One of my (weird) rituals in December is to try to start the new year with a ''blank slate''. So, I not only pay my credit card in full but also pay for charges made in December but not due until January. THAT makes me feel good!

I am in desperate need to downsize and declutter- does anyone have any first hand experience with similar situations ?-most importantly a free local sell on line classifieds garage sale type of buy sell trade site—declutter convert to cash. These treasures are invaluable - most importantly I would like to avoid the hassle and uncertainty of craigslist. And the potential drama.
Facebook has a free marketplace that is free to trade or sell. I've used it quite successfully to get rid of things I no longer need.

Nothing feels better to me then to get rid of things that I no longer use. I do not like a cluttered house although I have many of my moms collections on my walls, I could never get rid of these things, I will forever link them with my sweet mom.

I have a system, I move something 3 times without using it. Out into the back of the truck and gone. Some goes to people I know , some gets donated. On the other hand come the fall and the end of the cottage season I sometimes come back with more than I left with.:devilish:

Back