Defensive Driving Course

The driving school classes I went to, way back when, taught defensive driving courses. It has stuck with me, all these years later.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how I have a perfect driving record for the past 53 years & never took a "Defensive Driving Course."

For the life of me, I can't figure out how I have a perfect driving record for the past 53 years & never took a "Defensive Driving Course."
It's just common-sense driving, like keeping distance on the highway, etc.
I would think that most people drive defensively, by using their mirrors constantly and all that other stuff in the driver's handbook. My insurance was discounted for taking the Defensive Driving course through Young Driver's of Canada.

Last edited:
My wife took her course at AAA for free. By doing so, we were given a 5% discount off of our insurance, which we buy through AAA.

No never. It's more necessary than ever the way people are driving these days. I had three near accidents last Fri.

Driving is Always a bit risky. It used to be that weekend nights were the worst....when the drunks were hitting the bars, but now those who are playing with their cell phone while driving are a 27/7 risk. Defensive Driving is a "habit" everyone must adhere to if they want to arrive safely.

I have taken many different driving classes, mandated through work..
defensive driving is a funny name.... Offensive driving is a better term.... your already planning, not defensively reacting.

I "was volunteered" to take a DD course while serving in the Navy in my early 20s. To my surprise, it turned out to be very worthwhile. The way in which the class was taught benefited more than just my driving skills. I learned how to look at, and beyond, my current situation, whether behind the wheel or otherwise, to anticipate possible eventualities.

What could unexpectedly go wrong? How can I minimize the chance of that happening? What would be my response options were it to happen? Whether driving, entering into a contract, talking with a friend, or any other activity the answers are not usually difficult. Rather, it's a case of developing the habit of continual situational awareness and anticipation.

That habit has served me well through the years.

Perhaps because all those around you took the Course? :cool:

I never took one of those courses either. The only accidents I was in is when I was hit from behind. Twice. That's one of my pet peeves about drivers. Why do they follow so close behind when they don't have enough room to stop? Winter driving here is terrible on the first day it snows. Cars ending up in the ditch. Rear end accidents.

Back