Delete please. See “Bringing out the human” thread.

Ronni

The motormouth ;)
Dropped by my local Dailys for a pumpkin something for Paige. I started chatting with the gal there, to see if she could help me. When I expressed my disappointment on Paige's behalf that there was nothing, this sweet girl gave me a free iced latte and a HUGE bag of pumpkin spice creamers to compensate for not having anything yet, complete with this adorable pumpkin drawing on the bag! :D Recounting this episode to Paige because I thought she'd find it funny, and she said, "How do you have a way of bringing out the human in all service workers?"

What a fascinating observation! It never once occurred to me that I was trying to "bring out the human" in people when I find some point of connection, which is what I try and do with pretty much everyone I meet.

I'm not trying to make this about me here, but I wanted to recount that story for context so that you understand my question.....

How do YOU bring out the human in people? I would genuinely, honestly love to know. <3

I’m so sorry... I have no idea how this posted 😳🤷‍♀️

I already posted the thread “Bringing out the human in people” but then this shows up.

How do I delete it??

I've found out that if you share something "personal" with the person, you'll get far.

For instance, when my husband died and I was trying, over the phone, to arrange and re-arrange all the various insurance policies, pension, payments, etc with all the state agencies (he was a career state employee) all I would get from the people I talked to was "Yes, I suppose you can and yes, I guess you can and maybe you can and most of all: you'll need to talk to [fill in the blank] department - I'll transfer you"...….and when you finally got through to that department, they'd say "we don't handle that, you'll have to talk to [original] department...." and so on ad nauseum. I asked one young lady if my husband was the FIRST state employee to ever die because considering that Florida has one of the largest state employee benefits department in the country, it's strange that NOBODY knows what needs to be done." Silence. "I don't know what you mean, ma'am...."

So, the next time I called, the employee answered, "this is Desmond." "DESMOND?" I exclaimed. "This is wonderful! My father's name was Desmond! What a coincidence! I know we're going to get along because it'll be just like talking to my dad! I know I'm going to really enjoy working with you, Desmond!" It took us two hours on the phone, but man! we got everything done. I mean, how could Desmond pass me along to someone else when we were almost family? A note here, as I'm sure you're figuring out, my father's name wasn't "Desmond".

So, now no matter what name they answer with, that was my dad's or mom's or beloved grandfather's name. We're family! We just LOVE each other! When we get finished with the call, we're going to sing Kumbayah together and exchange Christmas cards. HEY, IT WORKS!

Back