Derek Chauvin's Phony Federal Sentence

Out of curiosity, are consecutive sentences the norm, and why are some consecutive and others concurrent? I've often wondered on how that decision is made.
It likely has to do with cost of inmate upkeep - which goes up as he ages.
If his federal sentence was served consecutively, he would be in prison in his 80's, which means higher medical costs.

Average time spent in prison for murder is 13.4 years. Chauvin is going to spend 22 years and get out at age 68, enough is enough.

He will probably spend most if his time looking over his shoulder, or in solitary confinement. A cop allowed to move freely among a bunch of inmates will be a target.
If it was my loved one, he wouldn't be a target.......until he was released.

He will probably spend most if his time looking over his shoulder, or in solitary confinement. A cop allowed to move freely among a bunch of inmates will be a target.
In California's prison system(CDCR) there are special 'yards' for protective custody inmates(SNY), mainly gang dropouts, informants, sex offenders, and former law enforcement officers. As you might guess, ex-cops and child molesters are at the bottom, in prison culture.

No parole in the federal system.
Correct, however, inmates can be released earlier prior to the serving their entire sentence by receiving credits for good behavior and/or a Federal judge may also reduce sentence, if requested by the prisoner’s legal team. There is also another way the sentence may be reduced, but it’s argumentative, so I won’t raise the issue. Most likely, Chauvin will serve at least 85% of his sentence, which I believe reduces the sentence to possibly being 19years 1 month. (If he makes it that long.)

Even though cops have a pretty good life in prison and especially in Federal prison, other inmates in the general population have ample opportunities to have contact with inmates in protective custody. Nathan may be able to add more to this, but there have been inmates killed in Federal prison at the hands of other inmates, even while under protective custody.

Nathan: Were you a correction’s officer in state or Federal prison or do I have you confused with another poster?

I have always wondered if prisoners are able to file motions without an attorney’s help and is the prisoner entitled to act as his own attorney in court? I may be mistaken, but weren’t some of these procedures changed after judges made errors during Ted Bundy’s court appearances?

Nathan: Were you a correction’s officer in state or Federal prison or do I have you confused with another poster?

I have always wondered if prisoners are able to file motions without an attorney’s help and is the prisoner entitled to act as his own attorney in court? I may be mistaken, but weren’t some of these procedures changed after judges made errors during Ted Bundy’s court appearances?
Prisoners can always file papers Pro Se. They can also assist other prisoners to draft papers and it is not an unauthorized practice of law, the Supreme Court refers to these as "Jailhouse Lawyers".

Prisoners can file motions. They can also represent themselves in court. Both of these are very bad ideas. I am speaking of federal court.

Derek Chauvin has been moved from a Minnesota state prison where he was often held in solitary confinement to a medium-security federal prison in Arizona, where the former police officer convicted in George Floyd's killing may be held under less restrictive conditions.

Chauvin was taken Wednesday from a maximum-security prison in a Minneapolis suburb, where he often spent most of his day in a 10-by-10-foot cell, to the Federal Correctional Institution in Tucson, according to the Bureau of Prisons.

The Tucson facility houses 266 inmates, both male and female, as part of a larger complex that includes a high-security penitentiary and a minimum-security satellite camp.

Bureau of Prisons spokeswoman Randilee Giamussoau declined to detail the circumstances of Chauvin's confinement, citing privacy, safety and security concerns.

Experts said earlier that Chauvin was likely to be safer in the federal system. It typically houses less-violent inmates, and he'd be less likely to mix with inmates he had arrested or investigated as a Minneapolis police officer.

Back