Desperately need computer help...

JaniceM

"Old-fashioned" desktop computer.
A couple of months ago, I started having trouble getting it to start. Sometimes it won't, despite numerous attempts. (I'm currently using very old laptop that won't access much).
I didn't have any trouble with either the tower or the monitor before a couple of months ago. When the difficulties started, I hadn't moved anything. Both are plugged into a power bar. Although all components are kinda old (some more than others), I tried a different powerbar and didn't have any better results. I also tried plugging them directly into wall outlet, but that didn't help either.

This is what happens: the monitor either stays black, or briefly flickers the brand name on and off; when I turn the PC tower on, the tower appears to be on and working fine, but the monitor doesn't seem to want to connect. Too often, it either continues to flicker the brand name periodically, or does nothing at all.
Like I said, this began awhile back when I hadn't moved anything or changed anything, and I've also checked all cords/connections on both ends of everything, so I don't know how anything could be loose or not secure.

I'm losing work time, have important emails to deal with, and can't do them on laptop. Hopefully someone here has insight as to what's wrong with my PC, and hopefully some kind of easy fix to resolve it. (I can't afford to have anyone repair it, nor buy new parts). PLEASE HELP...!!!!!

P.S. I don't use the off/on button on the monitor, as it doesn't work. When PC actually works, I simply log off computer when finished, and then turn powerbar off and disconnect at wall.

@JaniceM , if I could lay hands on that computer I could know what's wrong, perhaps even repair it in short order.
But, I'm thinking from what you've described there may be a hardware problem, power supply, graphics card or motherboard.
If you could give the make and model that would be a help in diagnosing it.

@JaniceM , if I could lay hands on that computer I could know what's wrong, perhaps even repair it in short order.
But, I'm thinking from what you've described there may be a hardware problem, power supply, graphics card or motherboard.
If you could give the make and model that would be a help in diagnosing it.
Lighting in here isn't very good, and I don't have a flashlight, so all I know about computer tower itself is it's a Dell.
The monitor is an Acer- model # AL2016WB.

Try another monitor with it to see if that solves the problem. If you don't have an extra monitor laying around, you could use your TV, proving it has the right port and you have a cable that will connect. Or you could connect your monitor to the laptop to see if it works. Or you can just go to a computer shop or BestBuy and let them diagnose it, which they might do for free if you buy something from them.

Have you tried a different power cord from the AC to your computer?
I'd been using the monitor with a different computer, as the cord that connected the two didn't work with new/current computer I was given some cords that were compatible. It's worked fine since I received it a couple of years ago.

If you mean cord that connects power supply, I don't have a different cord for the monitor.

Try another monitor with it to see if that solves the problem. If you don't have an extra monitor laying around, you could use your TV, proving it has the right port and you have a cable that will connect. Or you could connect your monitor to the laptop to see if it works. Or you can just go to a computer shop or BestBuy and let them diagnose it, which they might do for free if you buy something from them.
The only other monitor I currently have is a very old Gateway.. and the connection cord isn't compatible with this PC tower.
Is there a way to connect/attach PC to this laptop so I could use the screen as a monitor???

The only other monitor I currently have is a very old Gateway.. and the connection cord isn't compatible with this PC tower.
Is there a way to connect/attach PC to this laptop so I could use the screen as a monitor???
If you're talking about using the laptop monitor with your PC, I don't believe that would work. You could probably get your old Gateway monitor to work with the PC with an adapter. We would need to know the model numbers or perhaps a photo of the connectors to determine the adapter.

I think if the video card is bad the computer would beep and might not start. It sounds like the monitor has gone bad. If you could borrow a monitor from someone to check that would tell you...but I think that is it, hope I am wrong. :)

If your monitor turns on but flickers as you said then my guess is that it's a graphic card issue which has been mentioned before. I'm guessing that you have an onboard graphic processor which could be an issue. As has been mentioned , it would help a lot if you could use someone's monitor to see if that works.

With that being said, if your monitor happens to be connected to a stand alone video card then there should be another port which you could connect your monitor to. This would connect the monitor up to your onboard graphic card and hopefully that would work.

Not sure if I am making much sense but it would help to know if your monitor was connected to a stand alone video card or not.

Back