Did You Get Your Penny Candy? :)

Ruthanne

SF VIP
I recall back when I was a very little girl going to the corner store with ten cents and thinking I was rich...😄🥳

I got one or two of each candies...bulls eyes, lemon drops, red hots, smarties, black jacks and the like..

What a great time it was!:p(y)

Do you remember the same or different?

yes, blackjacks, 4 for a halfpenny... same with fruit salads... or wax lips, or halfpenny for a liquorice pipe with sprinkles...

vint_label_grande.JPG

or 3 pennies (3d) for a lucky bag... or a penny for a sherbet dib dab...

6455e316b201b2dee8023e395d39c6e3.jpg
the lucky bag had various sweets inside and a couple of little toys, like a tiny pack of cards etc.. I think in some places they were called Jamboree bags

Sometimes we;d manage to get a penny worth of dolly mixtures, or jelly beans... and the shopkeeper would put them in a little twist of paper..

il_340x270.2219847812_7042.jpg

Last edited:
yes, blackjacks, 4 for a halfpenny... same with fruit salads... or wax lips, or halfpenny for a liquorice pipe with sprinkles...

vint_label_grande.JPG

or 3 pennies (3d) for a lucky bag... or a penny for a sherbet dib dab...

6455e316b201b2dee8023e395d39c6e3.jpg
the lucky bag had various sweets inside and a couple of little toys, like a tiny pack or cards etc.. I think in some places they were called Jamboree bags

Sometimes we;d manage to get a penny worth of dolly mixtures, or jelly beans... and the shopkeeper would put them in a little twist of paper..

il_340x270.2219847812_7042.jpg
ooh, that must have been quite exquisive!

I can remember vacationing with my parents, and going into stores in places like Provincetown where for little over a dollar your kid-bucks could net you a major candy score! Remember these little wax bottles filled with sweet liquid? You'd bite off the top to access the fluid, then try to spit out the wax...
image.jpeg

I can remember vacationing with my parents, and going into stores in places like Provincetown where for little over a dollar your kid-bucks could net you a major candy score! Remember these little wax bottles filled with sweet liquid? You'd bite off the top to access the fluid, then try to spit out the wax...
View attachment 95407
Oh goodness I'd forgotten all about those.. we never knew what we were drinking out of those tiny bottles, and I still don't know to this day..

We had two shops in town that sold penny candy.

The largest was an old general merchandise store where some of the stock was so old it was literally rotting on the shelves. The large circular candy counter was always busy after school. It amazes me to think that they could afford to have two women behind the counter handling those little purchases and still make money.

The second location was an old harness makers shop that had been reduced to repairing shoes, making belts, etc... The gruff old man that owned the shop lived upstairs and always sat in the large front window during business hours. He never had lights on other than the one over his sewing machine when he worked. He had a small penny candy case stocked with things that he liked so they were always fresh. I used to go in to get sixlets and chick O sticks that were not available at the other store. The old man was always a firm believer in children waiting to be recognized before they spoke and he always did his best to startle or scare them by rapping his old cane on the oak countertop. You could tell by the twinkle in his eye that he admired the kids that stood their ground.

1584191975842.jpeg
images

I remember buying sweet cigarettes, you couldn't buy them now and if you could, they certainly would not be called 'Fags', (a slang word for cigarettes) ...:eek:

View attachment 95413
We had similar chalky brittle candy cigarettes but my personal favorite was Fanny Farmer's solid chocolate cigarettes wrapped in paper to look like a real cigarette that turned up in our Christmas stockings, Easter baskets, etc...

1584193383057.jpeg

I wonder what innocent little things history will hold over our heads in fifty years.

We had similar chalky brittle candy cigarettes but my personal favorite was Fanny Farmer's solid chocolate cigarettes wrapped in paper to look like a real cigarette that turned up in our Christmas stockings, Easter baskets, etc...

View attachment 95414

I wonder what innocent little things history will hold over our heads in fifty years.
I loved those chocolate ones too...only ever got the chance of having a taste occasionally, but I loved that little chalky chocolate flavour...

View attachment 95407
I remember one of those little abominations as the worst gustatory experience I ever had: I bought one, for three cents, when I was about six. I was excited to try something new. I bit off the top. The wax, grossed me out. The sickly sweet, colored liquid ran into my mouth. I instantly spat that horrible stuff on the sidewalk. First time, last time!

Last edited:
I'm still hooked on liquorice. We picked up discarded pop bottles and bought jaw-breakers, liquorice that was wound up to look like a record - with a little red candy in the middle, and those fake cigarettes.

There used to be a big barn-style store here that sold all those old-fashioned candies. Of course, I had to purchase jaw-breakers (with aniseed in the middle). Unfortunately, it burned down some years ago and not rebuilt.

Our little corner store was right on the corner where our school was. Albert`s. So if we had a nickel or a dime,we would stop there on our way to school-we all walked to school back then,of course. All the penny candy was behind Albert`s checkstand and he would,ever so patiently,wait for us to hem and haw and make our selections,which he would drop into a small,brown paperbag for us. Yay,breakfast on our way to school LOL!

By the way,Albert`s is still there to this day-although it`s called Speedy Spot now and Albert and his wife Elsie are long gone. Not sure when they opened-in the 40s I would imagine. My mom did most all of her grocery shopping there for my entire childhood.

Back