Did your parents ever have an argument about one particular thing that you still remember to this day?

MarkinPhx

When I was around 8 my parents came home after having just watched The Graduate and I still remember to this day the argument they had about whether they would allow my two older sisters see the movie. At the time they would have been around 15 and 17. It was a full fledged screaming at the top of their lungs argument and I remember hiding in the hallway listening to them. My dad was very conservative in most things but he was rather liberal when it came to allowing us watch movies so he had no issues allowing them to see it. My mom did not want them to see it though. To this day it is the one argument that me and my sisters still talk about .

Yes...the one particular thing they continually argued about was me. My mother was hyper-critical of everything I did...my dad stuck up for me all the time. This went on into my adulthood, through my first marriage and well into my second one. 2 days before my mother died, she was criticizing the outfit I was wearing and my dad was insisting, "She looks fine."...

Yes...the one particular thing they continually argued about was me. My mother was hyper-critical of everything I did...my dad stuck up for me all the time. This went on into my adulthood, through my first marriage and well into my second one. 2 days before my mother died, she was criticizing the outfit I was wearing and my dad was insisting, "She looks fine."...
Your dad must have been desperate for a wife. Mine was too.

About once a year my stepfather would go on a rant about the amount/value of wasted food my mother had stored in the freezer or the number of open bottles of salad dressing, mustard, etc... in the refrigerator.

The good news is that it made me mindful of using the things I put into the freezer or the things that find their way into the cold dark forgotten corners of the refrigerator.

My dad was a prankster, he once put a melon in each of the cups of one of my Mam's bras, he then hung the bra on the cloths rack and hoisted it up to the ceiling with all the other washing to dry.
Later, Mam came home from shopping with a few of her friends and her jaw dropped, then her mouth opened as wide as a cave when she saw the bra.

She nagged the b*lls off him for months after. 😊

My dad was a prankster, he once put a melon in each of the cups of one of my Mam's bras, he then hung the bra on the cloths rack and hoisted it up to the ceiling with all the other washing to dry.
Later, Mam came home from shopping with a few of her friends and her jaw dropped, then her mouth opened as wide as a cave when she saw the bra.

She nagged the b*lls off him for months after. 😊
No prizes for guessing where you got your sense of humour from then ferry ! :D

I remember us having a house guest when my mom and dad decided to install a new medicine cabinet together. How hard is it for two people to put up medicine cabinet? No electrical, just a level, and maybe four screws. They were at each other's throat for more than an hour. The house guest and I sat outside while they yelled and cursed at each other. All I remember is my embarrassment. Damn idiot people. No wonder at eight years old I wanted to move to my own place.

I never heard my mom and dad argue, ever. I've told people that over the years and they say that I just wasn't around when they did argue.
I don't believe that. My parents were a perfect match and were always on the same page about everything.

That's basically my story too. They only argued when my sister & I went at each other.
Same here. I never heard them argue, ever. My husband and I seldom argue, come to think of it. We may disagree but don't raise our voices with each other.

I remember us having a house guest when my mom and dad decided to install a new medicine cabinet together. How hard is it for two people to put up medicine cabinet? No electrical, just a level, and maybe four screws. They were at each other's throat for more than an hour. The house guest and I sat outside while they yelled and cursed at each other. All I remember is my embarrassment. Damn idiot people. No wonder at eight years old I wanted to move to my own place.
Me too! I can still remember the daydreams I'd have about living all by myself in a cute little house in a pretty forest somewhere; I can still kind of see the house in my mind's eye.

My mom was the daughter of a narcissist mom and an alcoholic father who fought all the time. She and my dad made a pact early on to discuss anything that might get heated away from us children. Major childhood rules were no yelling, no whining and no conflict or criticism at the table. We all got angry with each other, but we had to talk it through without yelling.

Did your parents ever have an argument about one particular thing that you still remember to this day?​

No particular thing
Just argued
Pretty much all Mom and Dad did
During diner was fun....not
.....on into the wee hours
Hell of a thing, getting woke at 2am from Mom's screaming
(Dad was quiet spoken, never physically abusive.....but played around)

I wanted to leave when I was 12......waited it out to around 14
Slept in a cot in the back of a store I worked at
Never slept so good
Came back for a bit
...but not for long
No ill feelings
They just didn't get along

Heh, they stayed together.....for the kids

Finally divorced....after 30 some years

My Grandmother and second husband raised me, I remember one morning my Grandfather was working on the old push mower, he purposely had my Grandmother hold the end of the coil wire while he cranked it over. I don't need to say anymore ...

Back