DIY’ing my home.

Getting started laying the master bath floor. Tedious and labor intensive ugh. 😣 But I think it’s going to look good once everything else is in there!

The bathroom is done!!! There are more cosmetic tweaks needed (my job) but the hard work is complete and we’ve been using it for a few days now. I’m really happy with the way it turned out. Good thing too, because we agonized over every decision from whether to add wainscoting, to the subtle differences in paint color between the wall and the cabinet, to should we herringbone the tile. Guess all our decisions were right because the result is just what we were envisioning!

The granite is a leather finish rather than smooth, so it looks matte rather than shiny which I love.
DAA7B48D-9EC6-41F9-864C-1BAE09D506F7.jpeg

We returned medicine chest once way early in the build because we didn’t think it would work. So glad it was still available after most of the work in the bathroom was done and we realized it was going to be just right!
2FD9556D-CE7D-4F00-92B1-0252FB25D68A.jpeg

The herringbone pattern of the tile was so labor intensive! Ron has to cut almost every tile to get it to fit!! But it was so worth it.
DEED68CC-B3D0-4258-840A-24CEAE03EAFE.jpeg

That long slender area to the left of the shower is rolled up towel storage...they’re all in the wash right now 😉 And below it is a slanted TP holder..you take out a roll and another rolls into place.
D9CA1CD2-5717-4591-AF48-D72A8652377D.jpeg

@Ronni , how did I miss this?

I love the bathroom, love the vanity, love the color, the herringbone tile and that towel/ tissue roll set up!
Does the water splash above the vessel? Just curious.
Thanks @RadishRose! We’re really pleased with the result.

The first time Ron turned on the faucet was so funny! 😂💦 He jumped back and yelled some select words that rhyme with Moly Duck 😉 and immediately went under the sink and adjusted the pressure. It’s been fine ever since.

The old bathroom after we tore out the walls. As Ron investigated the old work (this part of the house was an addition from the 60’s) he was dismayed to find a bunch of stuff that he knew he’d have to repair. The shower pan had been leaking for years so the floor wood was rotted. Surprised we didn’t just fall through the floor it was that bad! 😱 And the plumbing OMG! Below floor level, the water lines and the sewer lines were just sort of swinging freely, about a foot off the ground in the crawl space, no support whatever! Can you imagine the wretchedness of the sewer line finally just giving way under the house??? 🤢 427AC2C7-EFE7-42CE-97EF-D4B48E52D21B.jpeg

So we had to pull up the entire floor so he could get the plumbing lines supported and then replace the nasty wood with new. Easier at that point to just rip out the whole floor and start fresh rather than trying to do a patch job.
D1AD92CE-389C-4566-9C97-6CF4A211B761.jpeg

And we have this dude to thank for all that. 😡 Found on one of the studs when we were demoing. We swore at him quite a lot while we were working, made many snide references to “that Roger!!” 😂
42573590-9325-4BCB-B6C8-6E7517B00130.jpeg

It was actually pretty cool to find it though. We decided to re-use that particular stud, with a bit of reinforcement, and then I insisted Ron add his moniker too!
7C39A65E-27BE-488F-8D63-F8950BC32852.jpeg

Now on to laying the sub floor, and then insulation, outlets and drywall!

The old bathroom after we tore out the walls. As Ron investigated the old work (this part of the house was an addition from the 60’s) he was dismayed to find a bunch of stuff that he knew he’d have to repair. The shower pan had been leaking for years so the floor wood was rotted. Surprised we didn’t just fall through the floor it was that bad! 😱 And the plumbing OMG! Below floor level, the water lines and the sewer lines were just sort of swinging freely, about a foot off the ground in the crawl space, no support whatever! Can you imagine the wretchedness of the sewer line finally just giving way under the house??? 🤢 View attachment 76335

So we had to pull up the entire floor so he could get the plumbing lines supported and then replace the nasty wood with new. Easier at that point to just rip out the whole floor and start fresh rather than trying to do a patch job.
View attachment 76336

And we have this dude to thank for all that. 😡 Found on one of the studs when we were demoing. We swore at him quite a lot while we were working, made many snide references to “that Roger!!” 😂
View attachment 76337

It was actually pretty cool to find it though. We decided to re-use that particular stud, with a bit of reinforcement, and then I insisted Ron add his moniker too!
View attachment 76338

Now on to laying the sub floor, and then insulation, outlets and drywall!
What a mess to fix! That dang Roger. It was cool tho', how you saved that part.

I like nothing better than to look at renovations. Yours are fantastic. I'm wondering about the wainscot though. I know you have tile in the shower area but do you think dampness from the shower will buckle it in time? I love the look though.

I like nothing better than to look at renovations. Yours are fantastic. I'm wondering about the wainscot though. I know you have tile in the shower area but do you think dampness from the shower will buckle it in time? I love the look though.

@Ruth n Jersey Ron says it won’t. He put a very powerful exhaust fan in the shower to help deal with moisture/mildew issues. Seems to be working fine....the mirror barely fogs and it’s gone by the time we towel dry and are ready to use it.

I’m not really a fan of oak flooring but that white oak looks amazing. Job well done.

Thanks Keesh!

I don’t expect everyone to like our various decorating choices.....what a boring world it would be if we all thought alike. 😉 I‘m sure not looking for approval from everyone, but I do appreciate the acknowledgement for the hard work. 💕

Thank you for an early morning laugh, Ronni. "Also much swearing, screw ups and aching muscles. We’re too old for this crap!" When the hubs and I do projects our intermediary results are similar. When we see a fix or project that is expected to take a certain amount of time, we double it because of the "Smith" factor (last name). When our daughter and son-in-law get involved, we add more time- because we're now working with the Smith factor plus we've got to "Jones" it up.

BTW, I sincerely covet your beautiful wood floor. Perhaps that's because I don't have any gen-u-wine wood floors in my home. Now that I think about it, in my entire life I've never lived with wood floors. How crazy is that? Anyway, I'm completely unfamiliar with any negatives associated with them.

Thanks Keesh!

I don’t expect everyone to like our various decorating choices.....what a boring world it would be if we all thought alike. 😉 I‘m sure not looking for approval from everyone, but I do appreciate the acknowledgement for the hard work. 💕
Oh I most certainly acknowledge the hard work it takes to lay a 3/4 inch hardwood floor. We did our entire upstairs floor with 3/4 inch maple and love it.

It was hard work but we certainly don’t regret doing it. It’s definitely a highlight in our home which we wouldn’t trade for anything.

We wore knee pads which helped some.
Of course that was 20 years ago as well. Doing it now? 🤦‍♀️ Ouch! 😝

I know I already posted pics of my master now that it's finished, but for continuity I wanted to also post here, because as we continue to work on the house, it's fun for me to have a running record of the rooms as they evolve.

Master bedroom before construction began.
IMG_0799.JPG

During construction:
BE236AE3-8F86-42B2-A382-D3DF2CAA87FE.jpeg

Done.
5BBB0785-F22D-47E4-BA95-9D42B6590EAE.jpeg

Back