Do You Do Your Own Tax Return Or Pay Someone To Do It For You?

Do You Do Your Own Tax Return Or Pay Someone To Do It For You?​

Turbo Tax for this tax payer
Five years and running

I love it

Heh, six years ago I went with H&R (or one like it)
This retired dude was using Turbo to do mine
......and started arguing with me on some obvious (to me) deductions

I said 'Are you using Turbo?'

'Huh, yeah'

'Well, stop, and gimme my tax forms back, I'm outa here'

If I remember right, I was laying down three or four hundred bucks
......to have someone regurgitate the Turbo Tax questions

We do our own, they're all online on the Swedish IRS website. All the details about income, savings, mortgages, bank loans etc are already filled in and all you have to do is check that everything's OK or make whatever changes you need to and then sign digitally. Takes us about half an hour and it doesn't cost a penny.

How about if you want to claim a tax rebate for interest costs on your mortgage or something like that? And how do pensioners do theirs?
Well we have an accountant so if we need to do anything out of the ordinary then we give it to him... as for pensioners I haven't a clue, I'm not a pensioner yet so I don't know, but I would imagine it's as we used to do when we were self employed, and just fill in the online forms.. ( they were paper forms for us back then)

Last edited:
Well we have an accountant so if we need to do anything out of the ordinary then we give it to him... as for pensioners I haven't a clue, I'm not a pensioner yet so I don't knw, but I would imagine it's as we used to do when we were self employed, and just fill in the online forms.. ( they were paper form for us back then)
OK

H & R Block. They did away with the EZ form & with all the insurance changes & whatnot...I don't trust myself to not mess it up. We have a place we can take it to get it done free if we make less than $50,000 a yr but the waiting line can be up to 4 hrs long. No way am I sitting there that long.

Years ago when my tax return wasn't so complicated I use to do it myself,at the time I was unemployed
I had H&R Block do my taxes for 30 yrs,for the past 10 yrs I had Rose who was terrific,sadly she passed away,then every yr I would have somebody new,I decided 2 yrs ago to make a switch went with a local accounting firm.I'm very happy with them knowing I'll have the same person do my taxes

Up until this year, I have done my own (with forms and a calculator)...
Due in part (mostly) to an excessively complex K-1 form; this year I'm having them done.

Enjoy!

We do not get a tax rebate for mortgage or interest on credit cards etc. Oh, H&R for me.
OK. We can get tax reduction for interest we pay on all loans, labour costs if we have work done on our home like say electrical or plumbing, having a cleaner come in and even costs for traveling to and from work like gas or train fares if you meet certain requirements

OK. We can get tax reduction for interest we pay on all loans, labour costs if we have work done on our home like say electrical or plumbing, having a cleaner come in and even costs for traveling to and from work like gas or train fares if you meet certain requirements
So jealous with my money pit of a house if I got those credits I’d never have to pay taxes again 😂

Just looked it up... these are the people who have to file their own Tax returns in the uk..

Self-Assessment tax returns​

More than 11.5 million people in the UK filed a self-assessment tax return for the last tax year. You may need to file a self-assessment return if you:

• Are self-employed and earn over £1,000 per year
  • Are in a business partnership
  • Earn over £1000,000 per year as an employee or pensioner
  • Claim child benefit and your income (or your partner’s income) is over £50,000
  • Earned £2,500 from other untaxed income, for example from tips, property rentals, savings, investments, dividends, or foreign sources

I do a back-of-the-envelope calculation and then send it off to a CPA.

I've been using the same accountant for well over thirty years and we've never met.

I really should do it myself with TurboTax but old habits die hard.
I do it this way too. I have used the same CPA for over 20 years. My taxes are quite complicated since we have a small business, investments and other complications.

I've used H&R Block software, on my computer, for years. Our taxes are fairly simple, as we have no debt, etc., to deduct, so I can usually do everything in about an hour, and e-file both Fed and State. For most people H&R, or TurboTax should work quite well.

I have used the same accounting firm since 1987.
I am a schedule C so I can deduct a lot of things. My wife gets a W2
Also rental income properties and all that tax stuff that goes with those.
I leave it to a pro. Plus I ALWAYS file an extension so I don't have to fine tune it until October.

I do ours with Turbo Tax 8 yrs. now @ a tenth of the price were were paying a tax preparer.

Back