Do you ever find yourself alone on holidays?

As someone childless not by choice, my holidays are always atypical events spent just with my significant other. I have extended family over 200 miles away, but wouldn't fit in with them plus don't care to have my face rubbed in their wealth and accomplished children...

I'm never alone, but I hate holidays. I want them to be exactly the way they were when my kids were growing up. I want to eat the same food, decorate the tree the way I always did, have everything the same. I just about had a meltdown two years ago when we switched from a real tree to an artifical (even though the darn thing is so much easier.)

My youngest son tries really hard to spend time with me, or make sure there's someone here. My oldest son is in Iowa, and I never get to see him. Easter totally sucks. My middle son died right before it, and we drove home from the funeral on Easter sunday, so yeah, I hate Easter. I miss him on all the holidays. My oldest son's birthday is right at Thanksgiving, so that messes me up too.

I'm a big baby, and always want my way, so I spend the holidays being pretty unhappy. The 4th of July passed pretty much unnoticed around here. I don't like holidays, can you tell?

A couple weeks back I talked with my cousins, who I always have had over for Thanksgiving. Told them that this year will be the last time I will be "doing" Thanksgiving. Just getting too hard, as I have been the only one doing all the cooking and cleanup (my husband and two male cousins, more interested in Football). I had tried speaking up and asking for assistance, but best I got was one of the guys helping take the bird out of the oven.
Of course, I was nice, and did not give this as a reason. Just said that I wanted to maybe start going out for the day. I feel no regrets.
)

I'm never alone, but I hate holidays. I want them to be exactly the way they were when my kids were growing up. I want to eat the same food, decorate the tree the way I always did, have everything the same. I just about had a meltdown two years ago when we switched from a real tree to an artifical (even though the darn thing is so much easier.)

My youngest son tries really hard to spend time with me, or make sure there's someone here. My oldest son is in Iowa, and I never get to see him. Easter totally sucks. My middle son died right before it, and we drove home from the funeral on Easter sunday, so yeah, I hate Easter. I miss him on all the holidays. My oldest son's birthday is right at Thanksgiving, so that messes me up too.

I'm a big baby, and always want my way, so I spend the holidays being pretty unhappy. The 4th of July passed pretty much unnoticed around here. I don't like holidays, can you tell?

Grammie, very sorry to hear about your middle son. I can't even imagine how it feels to lose a child. I can totally understand your feelings about holidays.

At one time, I had a real tree but the straw that broke the camel's back was cleaning up all those needles. I swore I wouldn't do that again and bought an artificial one. I've never really missed the real one much.

Grammie, very sorry to hear about your middle son. I can't even imagine how it feels to lose a child. I can totally understand your feelings about holidays.

At one time, I had a real tree but the straw that broke the camel's back was cleaning up all those needles. I swore I wouldn't do that again and bought an artificial one. I've never really missed the real one much.

thank you, Uptosnuff. It's been horrible. He was a great guy.

I hated those needles too. And my cat used to climb it. I have a great tip about cats though. They hate citrus! I laid some orange peel around the bottom of the tree, and she stayed away.

and I do miss my real tree. Terribly. I'm not really sure why. The artificial one is so much easier. I think it's because I'm a bohemian kinda gal.

Back