Do You Have A Budget?

Leann

Traveler
I have always had a budget, regardless of my income, in the early years on a scrap piece of paper then later in a binder but now on an Excel spreadsheet. Now that I am fully retired, it's even more imperative that I keep one. How about you?

I too use a spreadsheet now and keep careful track of income vs bills plus savings and investments.
I have never created a proper budget and told my Financial Rep that he could create a budget for me, if he wanted to, but I wouldn't use it. Somehow I created a system that worked for us and we've managed to retire comfortably after all!

I don't have a budget per Se.. except I know how much I have to spend... but I don't keep track of it on any kind of spreadsheet.. but check my outgoings every day in online banking... regardless of whether I've spent anything that day or not..

My dd has always kept a Financial spreadsheet on er computer, she can tell at any given moment what she's spent and what's available to her..

I know what my bills are every month, as far as phone, fitness club. Insurance and tags are planned out and prepared for. For example, I paid my tags on the 17th (expiration date) and then when SS deposit hit, I paid the insurance then.

So this month has been ok, except I gave in and bought some stuff on Amazon.....ah well, haven't bought anything since last January.....

Yes, I have a low income so it is more important than ever to make a budget. I write it out every month by hand and keep it on a clipboard nearby for the month. Then I keep all the past ones together in a loose leaf notebook so I can compare them from time to time. If I want to buy something, I usually put something aside for it in the budget until I can get it.

Yes, keep my budget on a spreadsheet that is updated daily. When working it was important to keep track. My checks were all over the place. Now with just my pension and SS incoming and little outgoing it's easier. Old habits are hard to break. I check all my financial accounts daily though for anything amiss. Knock on wood, no problems but if there were I would be alerted and do something about it. Helps to be OCD.

Last edited:
Yes, have always used budgets.
When young, married, starting out, was very important…..unnecessary purchases were to be saved for…..always a fund available for emergencies that we put into every month.
To this day, I still budget, not as strictly, but always keep track of ins and outs.
As many of you already know of me……I’m not a big shopper…..and that’s okay with me.

Everything is paid for, so no. We’re not big spenders. Even saying that, I’m going to start tracking the non-essentials. Just because I can afford it, it doesn’t mean I should be buying things that I really don’t need.
Good idea. I used to think, "It's only $20 a month," or, "It's only $100." Someone pointed out that it can add up quickly. So true!

I still buy nonessentials, but not many.

Good idea. I used to think, "It's only $20 a month," or, "It's only $100." Someone pointed out that it can add up quickly. So true!

I still buy nonessentials, but not many.

I'm mindful of essential monthly expenses too, and try hard to keep the nonessential stuff to a minimum.

But my budget seems to take a hit this time of the year, with insurance renewals and updating policies.

Last edited:
Helps to be OCD
Yeah, up at the cabin, expenses can get away from you

Not only kept a budget up there, but kept a log of what used what, how much, and when.
Maintaining generators was a biggie
Oil changes
Rotating 5 gal gas cans (8 or 10 of them in the hazmat crib)
Keeping plenty of pull cord (paracord) on hand

Things not thought of by the casual observer

Folks seem given to thinking 'living off the land' is cheap
Not so

Get hung out without something needful in the middle of winter?
Unforgivable

I check my balance, pay my board and phone at the end/beginning of each month. I make more than I spend without paying too much attention. I live a simple life.

Back