Do you join in your local community?

Rose65

I used to, years ago. But then I eventually withdrew for certain reasons, by pleading health problems to save face. It wasn't easy to get out but I managed it.

It was the power struggles, petty arguments and cliques. I became disillusioned with the people who got carried away with their power to put upon others. Every community has one or two mature persons who seem to have enormous energy, they dominate and thrive on ordering everyone else around.

These days I stay out of it all, I make myself invisible. I might attend the odd event but I am glad not to be involved in organising it. I like my peaceful privacy.

Of course you might enjoy being involved, it depends on your energy and personality. It can be very good for your mental health to be active and helpful, in a good social life.

I used to be in education so dealt with people each and every day. When I retired I sort of became a long wolf type of guy. I enjoy reading, travel, playing my guitar and watching old westerns. Don't want to join any group and give up my hard earned liberty. They say that "man was born free" but today I see them all in chains. I don't like to wear chains.

In my community we have 100 plus clubs (activities, hobbies, sports, politics, nature, etc). We also have an Activity Director that organizes trips, outings, dinners, entertainment, shows, conferences, etc.
The calendar is busy and diverse interests are presented to us.
I enjoy going to the conferences, the nature trails club, and like to follow the local politics, and the book club. That is about it at this point. Previously, I enjoyed playing sports and swimming. Not so much anymore except for walking. I also like to watch films.

Nope; around here it's all grandmothers' clubs, religious stuff, and athletic fanatics who like to run around in 100F heat and smoke. There was one local group that I didn't hear about until the covid lockdown; it was called WOW (Wonderful Older Women) and sounded like it'd be my cuppa but it actually got disbanded before covid due to a conflict between 2 of the members. I was warned it'd probably never start up again but I do check every once in a while.

I used to be in education so dealt with people each and every day. When I retired I sort of became a long wolf type of guy. I enjoy reading, travel, playing my guitar and watching old westerns. Don't want to join any group and give up my hard earned liberty. They say that "man was born free" but today I see them all in chains. I don't like to wear chains.
I feel the same way. Dealing with the public so long made me want to be alone.
That may change at some point.

I think it might be nice if a group of the people I used to work with could get together several times a year (quarterly or so?) for a breakfast or something. No commitments, just show up at the agreed place and time. But maybe it just sounds good because we aren't doing it and haven't faced even that much commitment?
,If you can find one other person to help you get the ball rolling it would probably be worth your while. I am a bit older and our monthly senior lumcheon is an asset to our community.

My sister invited me to go to an Over 60's group luncheon which is held on the 1st Tuesday of the month. I'm glad I did go as they are a nice group of people; some are still married and some of us are single. It's usually held in an old pub and the food is great. I'm also attending the local church's day trip in a bus to travel to the South Coast to see the Blow Hole at Kiama, it's quite a tourist attraction, then off to the local R.S.L
for a smorgasbord luncheon. My social calendar is starting to fill from now until Christmas.

If I spoke Russian, which I refuse to do.............However, seems my local library has finally brought back our English speaking book club, which I have been heavily lobbying for with local and main branch. Never gave up, bothered them at least once a month.

As my ma would say to hers "Speak United States!"

Nope; around here it's all grandmothers' clubs, religious stuff, and athletic fanatics who like to run around in 100F heat and smoke. There was one local group that I didn't hear about until the covid lockdown; it was called WOW (Wonderful Older Women) and sounded like it'd be my cuppa but it actually got disbanded before covid due to a conflict between 2 of the members. I was warned it'd probably never start up again but I do check every once in a while.
I've always said I was smarter in the morning and lose IQ points as the day goes on. So I guess this early hour is why it finally dawned on me that "Officer Ripley," refers to Sigourney Weaver's character in "Alien" and I just leaned in close enough to read her cap which says, "EVE WAS FRAMED." :love: :D
I LOVE IT!

My sister invited me to go to an Over 60's group luncheon which is held on the 1st Tuesday of the month. I'm glad I did go as they are a nice group of people; some are still married and some of us are single. It's usually held in an old pub and the food is great. I'm also attending the local church's day trip in a bus to travel to the South Coast to see the Blow Hole at Kiama, it's quite a tourist attraction, then off to the local R.S.L
for a smorgasbord luncheon. My social calendar is starting to fill from now until Christmas.
Wow, I wish this area had activities like that. There were only a few things before covid and since, pretty much nothing.

We know our neighbours (I'm quite fond of many of them) … even the couple of sourpusses down the street. Alhough there are time constraints because we do have many other pursuits… we connect often, but don’t run into each other’s house at the drop of a hat.

Just yesterday, we enjoyed a delicious brunch at a neighbours and caught up with a number of old friends in another county during the brunch.

Brunch...sigh...one of my favorite things.

images

Back