Do you know your onions?

When we lived in the county, we lived on a sharp curved highway. In the fall when they harvested sugar beets and onions they stored the excess up on the hill above our house. When they were in full process working with both beets and onions, they would haul them to the factories for months.

I never had to buy any food for my livestock or onions for my family or friends. I had a steady supply rolling off the trucks into my borrow pit from the overloaded vehicles. I sent my kids to pick them up. Pigs couldn't eat the beets fast enough

Last edited:
Normally I buy inexpensive yellow onions. I never seem to use a whole onion. I refrigerate the leftover chunk in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid and whittle away at it for up to a week.

In the fall and winter I look for two pound bags of small boiling onions. The smaller ping pong ball size is just right for me.

I know my onions. I didn't know it at the time but when I went to dinner at my in laws home for the first time I couldn't believe what big onion eaters they were. If they weren't on something, they were in something and if that wasn't possible they surrounded something. Even the dog ate them.
I found out pretty quick I needed to know about onions and it was probably one of the first veggies I planted,
It ended up working quite well for me. If I made something the hubby might not eat all I had to do was add an onion and he would gobble it up.
I've been doing this for over 49 years. That's a lot of onions.

Back