Do you live in a tropical climate? What is the best and the worst thing about it?

Youngster

I love the tropics but I've only just visited. I wonder what it's really like to live in a tropical climate. Is it as great as it seems or are there pitfalls hidden under that warm sun and those sandy beaches?

Have over 3 years without modern air conditioning. Worst issue without air conditioning, is trying to sleep at night in high humidity heat. One can get used to it. Most without actual modern air conditioning live in rooms with sweat evaporating ceiling fans.

I have lived in a tropical climate. Life as it should be. No downside.

Sure, it was "too hot" sometimes, but that's way better than too cold, snow, etc.
While I doubt I’d have many complaints living in a tropical area , I know I’d miss all the different seasons. Winter snow is welcomed as much as the beginning of spring to me. Without one, the other wouldn’t be as special or appreciated.

Umm…our part of Texas is tropical at times. The heat can be oppressive but that’s why we have AC. Winters are great, save for the occasional ice storm. But humidity and heat year round? No thanks.

Do you live in a tropical climate? What is the best and the worst thing about it?​

I've lived in tropical climates

Best;
When it rains, it's a warm rain

Worst;

When it rains, it's a warm rain
(doesn't cool things off)

I didn't have air conditioning

I lived in Miami for 18 years. The best thing about it was that winters were very mild. The worst thing about it was the humidity. I always say, since I've moved to Texas I can usually wear a shirt twice and not have to send it to the cleaners. Not so in a tropical climate.

Tropical climates are also more prone to hurricanes due to the heat and the moisture in the air. Preparing for and/or going through them is miserable.

Lastly, I prefer 4 seasons and the foliage that comes with it vs. palm trees and tropical foliage. I love it when the leaves change.

Not all tropical places are hot and humid. Look for places that are about 1500 meters (5000 feet) above sea level.

I lived in Oaxaca, Mexico, which had almost perfect weather. Lake Chapala and Ajijic (also in Mexico) are supposed to be similar.

In Guatemala: Antigua Guatemala, and small towns around Lake Atitlan.

Boquete, Panama.
Medellin, Colombia.
Vilcabamba, Ecuador.

Da Lat, Vietnam.
Various places in the Philippines.

Etc.

You can keep your tropics. I recently spent 2 months in a hot tropical country. Most days my shirt was full of sweat, so I had to wash it when I came home. Best to get out early before the noon day sun hits you. Perhaps going out after 5 PM is another good idea. Beware of noon day sun; especially if you are a senior unless you are trying hard to get sunstroked.

Remember that with global warming, the sun will just keep getting hotter and hotter. For my money, I prefer Canada, the Northern US or Northern Europe where there are 4 seasons. A lot of heat for seniors is not a good idea. Ignore those silly adds about seniors walking on the beach with white clothes and holding hands or sipping freshly squeezed orange juice. Those adds are geared to drive people living in the snow belt crazy and you know those adds usually work.

Back