Do You Own A Swiss Army Knife?

Meanderer

Supreme Member
Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Logo_861be695-bb44-4836-be9a-e3dcf46b2a05_2000x.png

I have had one for 15 years, that was a 30 year award of sorts, and it was so bulky and well built, I never used it. Last year,I thought "Might as well get it dirty", and began to use it. I used to carry a pen knife, but this one is in the toolbox. I think they also make Swiss Navy knives too.:) Do you have one?

Last edited:
Yes, I've got one. When my children went to university, I bought them a Swiss army penknife each. Well, I figured that it had all they would need to survive - a knife, a can opener, a bottle opener and a corkscrew! On another forum, an irate parent called me an irresponsible parent because in all likelyhood my daughter would probably get drunk at a nightclub and end up killing someone. I wasn't going to stand for that, so I took my Swiss army disintegrater ray gun and zapped him.

My daughter didn't end up killing anyone, but she did get a first class degree, a scolarship to study for her Phd, a prestigeous fellowship and is now a senior university lecturer. Such is the power of the Swiss army penknife.

Gee, I only have a cheap imitation SWA, used to take it traveling, but I'd be scared to put it in either the checked or the carry on these days.

SWISS ARMY KNIFE

The first weighed light dense heavy in my palm
back in the day when Ann and I’d go trekking,
stalking the wild asparagus. Two blades,
can-opener, screwdriver, toothpick, auger—
all stowable in one sleek plum-red case
emblazoned with a logo silver shield
that bore the foursquare cross of Switzerland.

Lost, at what point in that decade, unknown.
I rummaged, searched and—not there. Stolen, maybe.
Time, plotting its zigs and zags, cuts both ways.

Well, one such knife’s much like another; its blithe
replacement could have almost duped the wielder.
Repertory stretching as years raced by,
we learned to clean a grubby nail, to pop
a cork, and (if not always those I hoped for)
to open letters—some with compliments
phrased for eyes that read between the blades.

Next time I could cite theft—of the overnight
bag that Chris had packed it in, at least.
Rage a hack might describe as blind or stabbing
slid in between adjacent ribs. So did I
march off again to find a duplicate?
Mm-hm, but chose instead a variant
in black, the unfathomable color favored
by mourner, artist, urbanite, and priest.

Helpmate, to keep acumen keen you seldom
venture out these days and always with core
safeguards. Disapproval, hopeless grief?
No, but I’ve heard your thoughts: “Today’s a salt
synonym for all that is. Walk softly,
and keep me close. Your black-and-silver ally
will throw the outcome into strong relief
and lend an edge to years that came before.”

by Alfred Corn

I've owned a few Swiss army knives but they were always too bulky, and I rarely used more than the knife blade.

So, I got into the habit of carrying bigger, heavier-duty folding knives that doubled as fighting knives (my martial arts background again). Flatter, built-in belt clips, aren't as fragile and I've used them for some pretty serious chores.

Yabbut...if you try to tighten a screw with a spork, the tines break off. Or the handle breaks off. And you can't get the cork out of a wine bottle with it, either. This stuff is important in the overall scheme of things.
Very true, but I'll just get another spork for my pocket. It's a lot simpler; I just lick it off and stick it back into my shirt pocket. Oh, and lest we forget....sanitation I launder that shirt at least once a month.

I assumed these were for boys?Never needed one anyway. Our woods are not big enough to get lost in.

Oh, but they're for more than just the woods!

On city streets you can carve your initials in cement, carve spears out of branches to throw at the girls, dissect bugs ... there's just SO much you can do with them! :playful:

Oh, but they're for more than just the woods!

On city streets you can carve your initials in cement, carve spears out of branches to throw at the girls, dissect bugs ... there's just SO much you can do with them! :playful:
They also come in handy when you have to rescue a friend locked in a port-a-john when the lock is broke, ....and the little screw driver can be used to adjust the hearing aid of the old guy, who is letting you call a tow truck, when your car got stuck in his ditch.

They also come in handy when you have to rescue a friend locked in a port-a-john when the lock is broke, ....and the little screw driver can be used to adjust the hearing aid of the old guy, who is letting you call a tow truck, when your car got stuck in his ditch.

Hmmm ... methinks I smell a few short stories a-bornin' ... ;)

Yep, ever since I was a kid I've always had a pocket knife in my pocket (where else?). The one I've got at present is a near top of the range one, the 'Champ' I think it's called. It was a 60th birthday present. Sadly, nowadays in the UK, I'd probably get done for carrying an offensive weapon. I wrote this little 'Ode to a Swiss Champ' a couple of years ago on another site ...

I have a knife I carry 'round
It cost me nearly fifty pound
It's a genuine Swiss Army Knife
The best I've had in all my life

A pocket knife's a man's best friend
It won't desert you in the end
It's got two blades, one large one small
A Phillips screwdriver, and that's not all

A pair of scissors and of pliers
with a thing for cutting wires
I thing for which you all must wish
for getting hooks out of a fish

A magnifying glass and a saw
a thing, I don't know what it's for
A needle for mending rips in sails
and a device for extracting nails

A tiny screwdriver for fixing specs
Whatever will they think of next
A little biro in the side
and tweezers, in there, also hide

Then a little plastic tooth pick
when, in your teeth food does stick
The other side's got a flat head screwdriver
and a thing who's use I don't know eiver

On the back there is a small hook
It's use I looked up in the book
Used for lifting parcels with strings
and other sorts of heavy things

And last of all but not the least
Inside of this fearsome beast
are five different ways of getting
drink from containers and your whistle wetting

I have had one for 15 years, that was a 30 year award of sorts, and it was so bulky and well built, I never used it. Last year,I thought "Might as well get it dirty", and began to use it. I used to carry a pen knife, but this one is in the toolbox. I think they also make Swiss Navy knives too.:)

swiss.png
They used to make Swiss Air Force Knives but every time you sat them down, they just flew off somewhere and you couldn't find them when you needed them.....

I have one called a Gerber 400, given to me by a friend in Alabama. He got something he liked better so gave me that. I love it, and when I open it, it stays open if I ever had to defend myself with it. There are places I have to reveal I have it, but I also have to give up my nail-file in some of those places;) Funny thing about that knife though, it was made in Portland Oregon, my State, and given to me by an Alabama boy when I lived down there;)

this is mine.jpg

Back