Do you remember...Hats?

Fyrefox

Token fox furry
There was a time when a man, to be considered fully dressed, wouldn't venture outside without wearing a hat. Now I'm not talking ball caps, or worse yet, ball caps worn backwards; I'm talking real hats of recognizable style. Watch old black-and-white movies, and you'll see men wearing them. Watch old newsreels, and you'll find a sea of hats wherever a crowd of men are depicted. My father wore a hat going to or returning from work every day, even in summer heat. It was expected, and was part of the male uniform of the day. Even boys wore caps. Can you imagine Indiana Jones without his rakish fedora? I don't think so...

Do you remember when men routinely wore hats, those relics of a dressier age? What memories do you have of them?

image.jpeg

My grampa wore his fedora.....everywhere

except

inside

I think they came back for a bit after the Indiana Jones movie

I think caps/hats have traditionally been worn to block the sun
Especially when working the farm

Funny thing, you can recognize a guy that works the field, when attending church
No hats
White forehead stands out like a beacon

My handsome dad was a blond version of Frank Sinatra; not only did their faces resemble, but their builds (skinny!) and birthdates. My dad's handprints and footprints exactly matched Frank's at Grauman's Chinese Theater. Both wore hats. When I see this pic, I can see my dad. I know I must have a pic of my dad in a hat somewhere, but till then, this will have to do:

Cock your hat – angles are attitude.” Frank Sinatra | mymarilynmoments

Nothing IMO looks classier or sexier than a Homburg or Fedora on a well-dressed man. Separates real men from the boys...

My grandfather wore both, and he always looked so dashing and proper.

Today's ball-caps... ech!

Oil-stained, stinky, sweaty, dirty ball-caps! Seems it's the style nowadays (for men), to wake up and pull a ball cap over unwashed, uncombed hair.

I think the styles in the 30's and 40's were the best! I know hardly anyone agrees with me but the lady's suits with the gathered sleeves, long skinny skirts and HATS were so stlish and chic!
i remember my Dad always wore a hat inthe 40's and 50's. he looked debonair.
My late husband would never be caught without his cowboy hat!
And a man who can wear a baseball cap, a Stetson, or a top hat tells that he's confident and has his own unique style. (says a lot about him) He KNOWS who he is and what he likes!
I'm ALL FOR bringing back HATS!

There was a time when a man, to be considered fully dressed, wouldn't venture outside without wearing a hat. Now I'm not talking ball caps, or worse yet, ball caps worn backwards; I'm talking real hats of recognizable style. Watch old black-and-white movies, and you'll see men wearing them. Watch old newsreels, and you'll find a sea of hats wherever a crowd of men are depicted. My father wore a hat going to or returning from work every day, even in summer heat. It was expected, and was part of the male uniform of the day. Even boys wore caps. Can you imagine Indiana Jones without his rakish fedora? I don't think so...

Do you remember when men routinely wore hats, those relics of a dressier age? What memories do you have of them?

View attachment 117371
Just out of curiosity why did men dress so nice & always wear hats back then? And how could they afford those snazzy outfits?

Just out of curiosity why did men dress so nice & always wear hats back then? And how could they afford those snazzy outfits?
It was a different era with different objectives. Looking "snazzy" was held in high regard. Men were often judged by their impressiveness of character. Look at the movies from that era. How many times did you see Cary Grant in anything but a suit and tie?
Culture today has become more and more casual. Some say by abandoning this respectfulness and dignity also reflects the overall demise of mankind.
Affording the suits? Many only had one suit and it was a priority to finally get one; almost like finally getting into "long pants".

It was a different era with different objectives. Looking "snazzy" was held in high regard. Men were often judged by their impressiveness of character. Look at the movies from that era. How many times did you see Cary Grant in anything but a suit and tie?
Culture today has become more and more casual. Some say by abandoning this respectfulness and dignity also reflects the overall demise of mankind.
Affording the suits? Many only had one suit and it was a priority to finally get one; almost like finally getting into "long pants".
Well the women dressed nice too. I'm a slob in comparison. But you would never catch me dead doing something like this...
shopping-in-pyjamas.jpg

My dad hated hats. The only hat I ever saw him wear was what was called a "pork pie hat"(?). He only wore it a few times. I've taken after my dad. I hate wearing hats. I just don't like things on my head. I was always getting into trouble ,when I was in the Navy for not wearing my "cover". I loathed wearing the damn white dixie cup.
Yet, I have cousins, whom I would not recognize if they weren't wearing their baseball caps.

But the only type of men's hat that I love the looks of is a cowboy hat. They look good on women, too.

Yes, it's all about the hat around these parts ..;)
iu

Back