Do You Remember the Fuller Brush Man?

The Fuller Brush Man & Watkins were always good products back then. Other than the vanilla, I can’t remember seeing either lately.

Back at work, I picked up a friend‘s Avon book. I only wanted one little thing. When it was delivered along with my friend’s goods, I was charged the shipping and handling fee. Never again. If my friend had known she would have just ordered it with hers. That S&H has stopped me from buying from these type of sellers.

Yes, I remember the Fuller Brush Man very well.
Because my brother looks just like him.

Door to door had to be a rough life. There is a documentary about guys that sell bibles door to door. Well worth watching.
I remember watching a television movie about a door-to-door salesman. It was sad.

The man was handicapped but remained steadfast in never missing a days work.

I wish I could remember the movie.

We had something called Betterware? or Tupperware which were essentially plastic containers or plastic 'things'. I think people had a Tupperware 'party' and invited people to look at the merchandise. Nowadays we do have booklets from Avon put through the door for orders. Think I remember an advert where the doorbell was rung and then the words Avon Calling! :unsure:
I still have an Avon lady who calls round in person.

Were we the only ones who had an "encyclopedia" salesman that would sell from door to door. I remember the set being quite expensive.

March 14, 2012 — The legendary encyclopedia collection is to be printed no more. So it's farewell to the salesmen too.

I sure do remember the Fuller Brush Man. There were a good number of wives living in the logging camp where I grew up. I'm sure most of them were seriously bored so when Mr. Fuller Brush showed up, it was a major social event.

Plus, he always arrived wearing a suit and fedora, things not common in the camp. Once he gave me a brown plastic letter opener which I think is still around here somewhere.

Were we the only ones who had an "encyclopedia" salesman that would sell from door to door. I remember the set being quite expensive.

March 14, 2012 — The legendary encyclopedia collection is to be printed no more. So it's farewell to the salesmen too.
Oh yeah! My folks bought the complete Encyclopedia Britannica Set. It was fun digging through the volumes.

I tried selling door-to-door back in the early '70s, I discovered something very important about myself: I ain't no salesman!
Amway, if I recall correctly. When I quit they made me pay for the $300 of crap they gave me to sell; I think that's how they made most of their sales.

I worked as a Tupperware agent going to various houses giving Tupperware parties but if a customer returned an item for a refund that amount of money would be deducted from what I had earn't at that particular party so I gave the job up.

I never did like Avon.

2008 people would leave avon booklet, at my front door...

Remembering milk deliveries, ice cream trucks before leaving the US as a kid...

Back