Do you remember what your grandmother wore?

yep my granny wore clothes like that. She wore an apron almost always as well.

Her thick stockings were held up with garters, so sometimes when she sat down her dress would ride up and we could see the garters .

She'd wear leather shoes which would go out of shape because she had bunions.. ..and in the winter she'd wear black ankle boots.. with zips up the front...
images

When she visited us every Wednesday, she came at mid-day, and had lunch.. and went home a few hours later.. but during her visit she never removed her hat...:D

She always ...always had a hankie up her cardigan sleeve

My paternal grandmother was always beautifully dressed. She had long black hair, streaked with with white, that she rolled up into a "corona" around her head. Put a tiara on her and she would have looked fine for dinner at Downton Abbey. She loved velvets and heavy brocades.

She sold beautiful costume jewelry, so she always had some "sparklies" on.

I can't remember her ever having a house dress on unless she was out working on her flowers.

My maternal grandmother, though always neatly dressed, was the quintessential housewife. Housedresses at home, day dress for the supermarket, suit and the usual dead critters draped on the shoulders for church. She spent most of her time in the kitchen or working around the house, so that's all she needed.

Last edited:
My wife's paternal grandmother always, but always, stepped out in style. She wore a hat, she wore little lace gloves, she wore a pearl necklace and as well as her handbag she carried a small wicker basket. Her two piece suits were hand made on her old Singer sewing machine. So who do you think was my wife's inspiration when we go to revival festivals?
Tina.jpg

My country grandmother always wore inexpensive cotton dresses with a full apron. They were always faded and worn thin. The odd thing is that I don’t remember her ever wearing a new cotton dress or apron.

My city grandmother always wore snap front brunch coats around the house. When she went out she always wore a nice outfit that had originally been purchased for church or some special occasion.

My grandmother wore those house dresses shown above. Sometimes w/an apron.
She had long grayish hair, she'd let me sometimes braid, or she wore it in a bun.

What I remember most, and makes me smile every time I think of it...are her nylons.
She'd wear them up to , or just past her knee and then tie them in a knot. Of course her long dress would hide
this, but it was still visible at times.

Grandma dressed up to go shopping in town.

grandma (2).jpg

My grandma had a farm and she made most of her clothes as well as her kids. When she lived in the city, she worked at the shoe factory as well as had a big garden and canned a lot of food. During the depression, they still lived good thanks to her. My grandfather was not always around.

feedingchickens.jpg

My granny was already almost 60 when I was born, so I never got to know her wearing any kind of modern clothes or looking young.....always granny clothes.

I remember being astonished when I first met my granny's youngest sister who was childless ( I was about 10 or so)... and this great aunt of mine , aunt Jenny... was in her 50's.. by then my granny would have been close to 70.. and Jenny wore a skirt above her knee.. and high heels, and had her hair dyed black and it was all styled and long... and I thought she looked more like my granny's daughter than her sister

My grandma wore yoga pants,a ribbed knit turtleneck sweater and Earth shoes. That is all I remember her ever wearing,except when I was very,very young (3-4ish) and she lived in downtown San Francisco. Then she wore stylish dresses and dress coats. But once she moved out of the City,it was yoga pants always. Oh,and she always wore an Ankh on a chain around her neck. She was a strict vegetarian. She was one of a kind-although not always in a good way.....

I do remember what she wore. For working around the hose she'd almost always wear one of my grandpa's shirts. All of them had paint stains on them because that's what grandpa was, a painter. But when she'd take me downtown and she'd dress to impress and impress she did! She was a beautiful and petite woman but she's still the largest person that I ever had the pleasure to feel loved by!

Back