Do You Use Paperless Billing?

AprilSun

I'm considering going to paperless billing and was wondering how it is for those who use it? Do you like it? Which is better, paperless or paper bills delivered via postal mail? I keep thinking what if my email is sent by mistake to another email account but then I think, the postman could mistakenly deliver my mail to the wrong box so what is the difference. How has it worked for you? Has there been any problems and if so, do you mind sharing them with me?

I use it for my regular monthly bills, once the email is entered into the system it won't change unless it is updated by a human so the likelihood of it going to someone else is virtually impossible.

I like it, I file the emails in folders by merchant and also have online access to my payment history so I can printout a copy of my payment history or check to be sure that everything is up to date.

It took me a long time before I signed up for automatic payments and paperless billing but I'm glad I finally made the switch.

Stick a toe in the water with a small regular monthly bill and see how you like it. If you are not comfortable with it you can always cancel it and go back to the system that you are comfortable with.

Good luck!

I was thinking of trying it with my regular bills but as the saying goes I'm "on the fence" about it. That's why I thought I would ask someone that either is using it now or has used it and see how they like it.

I was thinking of trying it with my regular bills but as the saying goes I'm "on the fence" about it. That's why I thought I would ask someone that either is using it now or has used it and see how they like it.
I have some bills that go to my credit card, pay them off when come due..Never any problems..

How has it worked for you? Has there been any problems and if so, do you mind sharing them with me?

We have also been paperless for years. We do it partly for environmental reasons, but it is easier for us. We do monitor everything, however. Plus, as far as monitoring, we generally do that weekly. Paper bills are too far behind. We also pay for everything we can via paperless, automated, credit card. So, everything that we can pay with credit card means cash back. So everything we pay for is at least 3% discounted.

Just how does it work? Do they send you the bill via email or do you have to log in to their web site and view the bill?

I get an email about 3 weeks before a payment is due. I go online and set up a payment usually 2 days before it is due. I then enter it in my check register for that date and go about my business. I get an email thanking me for the payment and giving me a confirmation number that I enter in the register. No problems.

Just how does it work? Do they send you the bill via email or do you have to log in to their web site and view the bill?
Our experience is that you receive an email notification that your 'bill is ready'. You have to log on to the website to see the bill. That way, if an email is sent erroneously, no one is going to see your information.
This whole thing with online billing and payment is dependent on how far you want to take it. You can get a notice bill is due, but pay the 'old fashioned' way. Or you can get the notice, but set up the account so that the bill is paid automatically and taken out of your checking or savings, or set up so that bills are paid via your credit card (or debit). Sounds confusing, but it really is easy to set these options up.
I'm always 'pushing' for credit cards because of cash back. But, it's up to you.

Thank you everyone for your time and help. Right now I haven't decided but I do appreciate everyone's help. I'm arguing with myself about how many I would have to do this with and would it be worth it. But, then I also think, I could spend the time it takes me to go get my mail, doing all of it online instead. I pay my bills online with my bank now but I haven't been using paperless yet. Thanks again! At least I have a better understanding about how it works and now I can make an informed decision.

I do 100% of everything online. I don't trust the mail system to deliver 100% of all mail 100% of the time. It has never happened and it has cost me in late fines when my mail never got delivered and last year I had to pay a late fine for county taxes that never came in my mail.

Used to save everything, found that saving the statements took up a heck of a lot on storage. When the government finally accepted electronic statements. I decided that it would be easier to catalog, sort and/or print the statements from one flash drive.

I've used paperless for years. No postage, no trying to remember to take bill to mail box or post office when it's bad weather or can't get out. Some companies now charge $3-$5 a month if you prefer paper bills. I've also set all my due dates around the 1st of the month so I can sit down and pay them all at the same time. Easier to keep up with due dates, etc. and avoid those horrible late fees. Even utility companies will work with you in adjusting the due dates.

Getting bills in the mail became a real hassle for me since I never throw anything in the trash with my name and address on it, which meant more shredding time. Then there is the issue of our mail sometimes getting put in the wrong box after which it usually winds up on top of the mailboxes in our hallway or even in the next building. So paperless billing is the best way to go IMO. Plus, it's better for our environment.

Last edited:
We do paperless on most things except cable.......because when it’s time to renegotiate and cancel they are notorious to be difficult. I don’t want them sucking out of my checking and try to get that money back!!!
Just curious....why would going paperless with your cable company hinder your renegotiations or adversely affect your ability to cancel if you wanted?

I do everything online and have done so for at least 15 years. Saves time, saves the paper hassle, saves postage. I get an e-mail saying my xyz bill is ready and go to the xyz website and pay the bill. Quick as can be, no paper all over the place, no postage and no worrying about whether my payment got somewhere on time (I get an e-mail back saying "we've received your payment") and that's all there is to it.

I used to keep all that paper (paid bills, etc. ) and then I asked myself "when was I EVER asked to produce a paper copy of a bill I paid 5 years ago?" And the answer was "never." So I got rid of all that paper. During my work life I figure I must have kept track of 10 zillion tons of paper. I hate piles and files of paper. If I want to see payment history or anything else for whatever reason, I can just pull up my xyz account online and see whatever I want to see. And in the unlikely event that I should ever need a copy of a 5 year old bill, I can pull said bill online and print it.

It's really quite freeing.

Yes is a good idea and not much hassle to receive them and pay online.But of course, if you have chosen to DIRECT DEBIT, it can a hell of a job to stop the Direct debit "Personal Experience". So I won't choose the Direct option, but just pay out of normal savings account at the date that suits me .

Back