Do You Wash Your Hands Better Since The Pandemic? I Do.

Remy

I've been a good handwasher but sometimes wouldn't scrub them for that long. Since the pandemic I started washing them for a longer time period and still do. I carried handwipes in the car prior to the pandemic and still do. Didn't use hand sanitizer though.

I don't go nuts about it but try to be careful.

No difference between washing before or after. Like you, we've always kept wet wipes in the cars. On vacation, I always put clorox wipes in there too.

I try to keep individuals wipes in my purse for times you pick something up that's sticky/oily in the stores. Not every store has them in the meat section & if some do, it seems the container is out.

Is it me, or does it seem that a lot of businesses don't have hot water in their restrooms any more?

I saw this video where a university student of science put a slide prepared with a common virus under a microscope (in the university lab). The microscope was fitted with a camera, so he was able to film what happened to the virus cells when he added a drop of soapy water made with regular bar soap. The virus cells started breaking down on contact. Every cell was destroyed within a few seconds.

Last edited:
@Murrmurr, Grandma always said to wash with soap & water. I remember years ago that doctors said to do the same thing during the flu season. It seems the simple things may still be the best. New isn't always better.
I know first-hand that when the CDC recommended washing your hands for 20 seconds, somehow through the chatter-mill it became 20 minutes. Surgeons don't scrub-up for that long, and they're not just washing away viruses, their main objective is to kill bacteria, which are harder to kill.

Yes, I do. I carry a sanitizer in my car as well as one in my purse. At home, I wash my hands frequently with soap and water. I also have a box of Clorox Disinfecting Wipes in the kitchen. I like to use those on the kitchen counters on a regular basis.

I carry the small spray Trader Joe's sanitizer in my purse in case I need to clean my hands in a store or something. Sometimes I've encountered sticky produce. Those were not available prior to the pandemic I don't think.

Do You Wash Your Hands Better Since The Pandemic?

No, not really. Being a building maintenance mechanic one of our many tasks was dealing with plumbing drain stoppages. I think that experience made me a bit OCD, I not only washed my hands like I was going to do brain surgery, I was acutely aware of and on guard against cross contamination. I'm still like that....

I don't think I've changed the way I wash my hands or the frequency, but since Covid, when I do wash my hands, I'm thinking about the process more. Before, it was almost like an unconscious activity.

Well, now I carry hand sanitizer. I didn't do that before the pandemic. I've developed the habit of not touching my face while I'm out and about. After I go into a store I use the sanitizer, and when I get home, the first thing I do is wash my hands.

I'm almost OCD about hand-washing.. honestly.. particualrly since Covid. In fact my nail technician told me off the other day.. he thought I was washing up without gloves ( I never do that )... I told him it's because I wash my hands a lot

Not really because I've always washed my hands so much that it borders on OCD.. One morning I counted that I washed my hands 20 times before I even had breakfast. People used to tease me about my excessive hand washing, then when the pandemic came I felt validated. :D

No because I wash them pretty well anyway and the pandemic had nothing to do with it. I'm not obsessed.
I think what changed for me was the length of washing time. Not frequency. I try not to be obsessed over it either. Because my mother could be. She even raged about it. You can get nuts about things for sure.

I'm almost OCD about hand-washing.. honestly.. particualrly since Covid. In fact my nail technician told me off the other day.. he thought I was washing up without gloves ( I never do that )... I told him it's because I wash my hands a lot
I know my hands are kind of thrashed. Arms dry too. I'm using argan oil and a lotion bar.

Back