Doctors and medical tests

Why do doctors order medical tests, then don't look at the results until you come in again for an appointment? What if there was something out of whack that should be addressed?

Possibly because they didn't think there was anything wrong to start with.

Ok, there is a nurse who looks over all the test results and lets the Dr. know if there is a problem. Then the Dr. tells front office staff to call and get you into the office. And if you are the 15th person to see the Dr. that day, several days after the test is run, no way do they remember in detail why you are there.

If results are normal or not far off, I'll get a letter from the doctor saying it's normal or should be addressed at my next regular appointment (i.e., cholesterol a little high, sugar a little high, etc.)

If results are abnormal, then I always get a call to come in.

I always get my lab work scheduled a couple of weeks before my yearly physical. That way, I have a copy of the results in front of me to discuss with the doctor.

I can see my test results in a patient portal, the individual tests have indicators that explain if the results are normal, elevated, low, etc...

I also get a call from the nurse to review the results and answer any questions.

I think jujube has the best idea to call and get a routine lab slip a couple of weeks before your appointment so you can review the results with the doctor while you are in his office.

I am amazed at all these doctors that actually seem to care about their patients! Where I live, there isn't a great deal of choices where medical care is concerned, unless one is willing t make a 60 to 100 mile round-trip.

What really bothers me is the way some of these Doctor's offices will wait until Friday afternoon just before they close up to leave a message on your phone to call them "regarding the results of your lab work." Then of course by the time you hear the message they have closed up shop for the weekend and you have to go all weekend worrying about whether or not you have some terminal illness before you can finally call them Monday morning to find out that "your chloresterol is a little high". This has happened to me twice. The first time was about my chloresterol. That time I worried myself all weekend running over various doomsday scenarios in my head. The second time was when my blood sugar was slightly elevated. That time I didn't worry as much because I had been through the drill before.

Kaiser Permanente sends me automatic emails when test results are in. Test results and doctor visit summaries are also posted immediately on an on-line patient portal.

I've had Kaiser for 3 years and all my test results and history are available for me to review my. That's my medical history including diagnoses, weight, BP, blood test results, etc. for that entire period.

Last edited:
Kaiser Permanente sends me automatic emails when test results are in. Test results and doctor visit summaries are also posted immediately on an on-line patient portal.

I've had Kaiser for 3 years and all my test results and history are available for me to review my medical history including diagnoses, weight, BP, blood test results, etc. for that entire period.

My daughter who lives out there in California has Kaiser and she likes it a lot. One of the very few times I have ever heard anything positive about a private health insurance company.

Back