Does Anyone Else Feel Especially Sad Lately?

I've been trying to fight it off but it's apparent that I am feeling sad in so many ways. So many things happening and it's just hard. I feel it must be the same for many
Absolutely. Frankly, at this point, I don’t know anyone who isn’t struggling. Covid makes life so stressful in so many ways. It amplifies one’s other concerns, difficult to remain cheerful rather than overwhelmed Living alone often exacerbates feelings of isolation, depression, anxiety, we just don’t know what will happen next. Trying to be patient and strong long term is exhausting.

Bless you too Mike. I find reaching out to people on forums such as this to be one of the touch stones which help me to remain more centred and calm. We are all part of the global human family. We will get through this together, sharing, caring, behaving responsibly in order to keep ourselves and others safe while we wait for the vaccine. I find meditation helpful also. 🥰

Read my new thread. If you don't want to be sad or depressed, stay away from toxic people.
Find someone upbeat.
Because some folks are passive aggressive it’s often difficult to realize who’s bringing you down. The covert nature of such people makes them difficult to spot. It appears that they are supportive, have your best interests at heart, offer well meaning advice etc, when in reality they’re cutting you down.

“You've done so well for someone with your level of education.”

"Don't worry; you can still get braces, even at your age"

"There are a lot of men out there who like plump women,"

They appear to be encouraging supportive statements but the inherent message communicates something very different.

Because some folks are passive aggressive it’s often difficult to realize who’s bringing you down. The covert nature of such people makes them difficult to spot. It appears that they are supportive, have your best interests at heart, offer well meaning advice etc, when in reality they’re cutting you down.

“You've done so well for someone with your level of education.”

"Don't worry; you can still get braces, even at your age"

"There are a lot of men out there who like plump women,"

They appear to be encouraging supportive statements but the inherent message communicates something very different.
This! OMG, this is so true!

I haven't seen it yet in my neck of the woods.

I checked with bar tenders and ask them what is the most popular liquor they serve.

Vodka. Why? It doesn't smell on the breath or so they claim.

Oh it does camper, don’t you believe them, Every alcohol smells on your breath, after a few....
That’s what my DIL thought,when she got stopped by the police one day.....
She had only a couple at a birthday bash,but they smelt it straight away.....!
6 points on her licience.....it could of been more,If she had been involved in an accident 🥺

What if......................
Since you're sad and depressed people stay away from YOU because now you are not upbeat and are bringing them down and oh my, so toxic.
This is also very true. I read an interesting article the other day about how--since about WW2--people want to be friends only with people who entertain them. It posited that where people used to want to be around people who were good-hearted, honest, etc., nowadays they want to be entertained by charismatic people since the entertainment culture, which really got going with people having TV in their homes, kind of spoiled people into being impatient with people who are perceived to be boring.

And remember that old saying, "Still waters run deep"? (Which I always took to mean that quiet people can be really interesting once you get to know them.) Well, I used that saying on another website a while back and nobody knew what I was talking about ("What does that even mean?! We're talking about relationships here, not water!") Sigh.

Lots of the Internet is optimized for making you upset. Whether it's outrage, sadness, despair... Some of our most negative emotions are the ones most effective at keeping us clicking around.

It's often a good idea to take a break and stick to the classics like reading a book, taking a walk, calling a friend - anything other than looking at a screen (even a TV).

When I'm feeling a bit down, I make my way to the big mirror in the hall. I turn and face the mirror and tell the bloke looking at me,"You are one really handsome beggar", but he always replies, "Why thank you, but I can't lie, Ferry, you're not."
Hmmmm......I've got the utmost respect for truthful mirrors, but it would be nice if it fibbed now and again. 😊

No Man Is An Island
poem: John Donne
song: Joan Baez

No man is an island
No man stands alone
Each man’s joy is a joy to me
Each man’s grief is my own

Learned this song in junior high. It runs round and round by mind. Someday there will be a national holiday when new generations remember those that were lost to the virus. People will look forward to a day off work and forget the high cost of that day off.

Over 250,000 dead and counting 😥. Sadness is expected.

I've been trying to fight it off but it's apparent that I am feeling sad in so many ways. So many things happening and it's just hard. I feel it must be the same for many
In my opinion it would be abnormal to not feel sad. Between the virus and all of its impacts and the toxic political/behavioral situation we are in you (we) are completely justified in feeling sad.

Intellectually, we know that "this too will pass", but emotionally it is another matter as we contemplate not being able to quickly return to a life that we knew and loved. The inability to interact with loved ones, travel, enjoy eating out, and feel good about our futures is very draining.

I suppose that this emotional strain is similar to that felt during WWI and WWII, when things were not looking good at all, but our parents and grandparent hung in there and the world recovered. We shall do the same. Our role is to do the best we can under the circumstances and fight our way through these times even as we do feel sad.

Ruthanne, I think there is real merit in raising this subject for discussion as you have done. This forum is full of supportive people and you are one of them. Hang in there my friend!

Back