Does anyone remember the old craft of making fabric yo yo's?

Ruth n Jersey

As I mentioned in another thread my best friend went into a nursing home last year. She loved to sew and let me have all her fabric. I've never sewn before but am learning and enjoying it. A lot of the fabric was very silky. I'm not fond of silk and not being a very good sewer I found it hard to work with. The patterns were a bit to loud for me also.

Looking around on YouTube I discovered the old craft of making yo yo's also known as Suffolk Puffs in England. I gave it a try and liked the results and it works well with the bright and silky fabric. At first I tried them free hand. A little difficult to get them all the same, then I discoveredyo yos (800x600).jpg the Clover. A little plastic circle and insert which makes them quicker and all perfectly sized. I know I'm cheating. lol

At first I wanted to make a multi colored bed spread but found that to be a bit to ambitious. Figuring it out I would need over a thousand for a twin bed. I've decided on a runner for my dresser.

The photo shows the trial yo yo's in different colors on the leftclover (800x600).jpg. On the right are the ones I might use as the runner. Time will tell. They all have to have the thread hidden and I saw where I can put them together on the sewing machine. I'll try that also.

It is mindless work but I can do it while watching TV and the Clover makes it easier on the eyes. The stitches seem to find there own place without eye strain.

An entire bedspread? That’s certainly ambitious Ruth.
While I wouldn’t be interested in making these fabric yo-yo’s,
it made me realize I can make my own scrunchies for my hair.
The concept is a bit similar

I wondered what you meant by fabric yoyos until I read the thread. Yes, they are little Suffolk puffs, simple but effective. It's nice to have something you can sit with in an armchair, instead of sitting at a sewing-machine. I'm enjoying doing English paper piecing, and experimenting with different effects.

Sharonanne, that snowman is so cute. My daughter and family came for Easter,of course I just had to drag out the yo yo maker. They were not impressed. I didn't really care. Only doing it for pastime while watching TV but you can be darn sure my son in law who had the most to say is getting a yo yo tie for Christmas. I can't wait. lol

Back