Does your retirement budget allow you to travel much?

Youngster

My travel budget is taking a hit these days. I still try to get to places close to home. I'm not going to stop altogether. I wrote an article about a place close to home. If you're an aviation or space buff you'll like this. There's a video at the end about the Howard Hughes built "Spruce Goose" you might enjoy.
Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum is an Aviation Buffs Dream Destination

No. I had a bit of money saved. I drove across the country, with plans to live there. Then changed my mind and drove back. Savings gone. But it was great.

Now I'm saving money again, hoping to travel to the tropics next winter. Savings will be gone again.

And so on. This requires a lot of penny pinching every single day. I wouldn't spend money on "close to home" travel. Not worth it to me.

Fairly new to retirement (less than 6 months); the *plan* is to travel out of state about three times a year--ideally Jan (beach/warm), May/early June (north) and October. Day trips can be fitting in as possible. As the months pass, I'll have a better idea if the $$$ situation will support this.

Been there (Mac) It was only about 30 minutes from Salem.
But haven't been there in 10+ years. The Boat didn't have viewing portals open then, they were working on it. Those Curtis-Wright engines are huge.
Other attractions in Mac is McMenamin's Hotel Oregon, and the wineries.

As I said earlier, visit Washington more often. The Future of Flight at Boeing/KingCo Airfield is very good.

Fairly new to retirement (less than 6 months); the *plan* is to travel out of state about three times a year--ideally Jan (beach/warm), May/early June (north) and October. Day trips can be fitting in as possible. As the months pass, I'll have a better idea if the $$$ situation will support this.
I hope you manage to do that CS,,,up until last year when the o/h left, we tried to get at least 2 trips abroad..I miss that now..

Nope. Not in my budget. I take "day trips" to just drive on unknown back roads though.
I might go find a mountain stream somewhere and that makes me happier than traveling
to a different country. Fun to "go adventuring" for a day or so.
If I have any extra money, I get my sculptures bronzed or buy non-fiction books I need.

Last edited:
I'll be traveling again come spring. I like to just pick a state, ask a girlfriend if she'd like to travel with me, then book a very nice hotel, choose what sights I might enjoy, and always leave two days for wandering around the area.
I always drive my SUV, so if I want to stop over to see something I can, no hurry to get back home.
It's so very relaxing....

I have thought about traveling. In fact, my dream after I retired was to buy a van and travel to every state. Time got away from me and I didn't find a van so it was just a dream. I have looked at Amtrak train trips and considered a cruise but I would have to make some arrangements for my dog and it just seems easier to do something that I can take her with me or stay at home.

No. I had a bit of money saved. I drove across the country, with plans to live there. Then changed my mind and drove back. Savings gone. But it was great.

Now I'm saving money again, hoping to travel to the tropics next winter. Savings will be gone again.

And so on. This requires a lot of penny pinching every single day. I wouldn't spend money on "close to home" travel. Not worth it to me.
I guess it all depends on where you live. I love the tropics. I must have lived there in another life. :cool:

It's good you have a retirement plan that includes travel. It's a great way to keep your sanity. :)

Been there (Mac) It was only about 30 minutes from Salem.
But haven't been there in 10+ years. The Boat didn't have viewing portals open then, they were working on it. Those Curtis-Wright engines are huge.
Other attractions in Mac is McMenamin's Hotel Oregon, and the wineries.

As I said earlier, visit Washington more often. The Future of Flight at Boeing/KingCo Airfield is very good.
I've stayed at that McMenamin's hotel a couple of times. Last time I was at the Museum they wanted $50 to sit in the pilots seat. Too rich for my blood. I really liked the old passenger plane on display. The inside looked luxurious for the day. Probably got hot meals with the ride too.

I'll be traveling again come spring. I like to just pick a state, ask a girlfriend if she'd like to travel with me, then book a very nice hotel, choose what sights I might enjoy, and always leave two days for wandering around the area.
I always drive my SUV, so if I want to stop over to see something I can, no hurry to get back home.
It's so very relaxing....
That's the great thing about being retired. No time restrictions.

We live in an area where millions of people from all over the world want to visit, so there's plenty to do here without needing to travel much. Spouse and I are not lovers of today's air travel hassles, so as long as I can continue driving we do car trips.

It's great! Instead of trying to cram fun into a weekend and hassling with traffic to/from popular areas, we can visit weekdays for 3-5 days at a time, able to enjoy our favorite areas in depth rather than stick to a strict schedule. We have our favorite restaurants to visit, and always try to reserve at least half our meals at new eateries.

We stay at moderate priced hotels because fancy ones have amenities we never use. We don't golf, swim, or play tennis. No interest in spas or massages since I have monthly appts with my regular masseur who is also a licensed acupuncturist. She turned to massage as she enjoys doing bodywork but we both have an interest in alternative medicine and Eastern practices (tai chi).

Being foodies, living here is ideal. Our home area has gentrified so much that we can't even keep up with the new restaurants opening in our 'neck of the woods', let alone other popular areas...but that doesn't stop us from trying, LOL!

This is a very HCOL area. Traveling locally costs us much more than if we did a cruise (been there, done that, not interested in doing it again) or did a group travel (ditto). To be honest, I'm astonished out-of-state tourists can afford to visit Northern CA. There are lots of budget things to do - don't get me wrong - and many extremely good "cheap eats". But it requires searching, a strict itinerary, and a careful eye on the budget.

However, if you travel as we do - roughly every 4-7 weeks, except in summer (tourist season; we try to avoid the crowded/hot areas then) - picking areas and eateries because they catch your fancy, then it can get expensive, very quickly.

We are fortunate as our retirement income has been sufficient to allow for travel to other states during the first decade of retirement. Now entering our second decade, we're starting to slow down a bit so there's still plenty of 'expansion room' in the budget to afford continuing trips.

Interestingly, we can track inflation by our daily travel costs. We started in January 2010, the height of the Great Recession, so it was a GREAT time to travel. Many Boomers were still working, travel vacancies abounded in hotels and group trips. We went on a fabulous Road Scholar (formerly Elderhostel) trip to New Mexico that year, led by one of the leading amateur local historians in the state. There were only 12 people on the trip, whereas the year before, the guides told us there were 50-60 on every trip!

We also went on a 6-week trip from Northern CA through the PNW, since I have relatives in Seattle. Great trip including an Alaskan cruise, but boy did I have to do hundreds of hours of research to make it all come out smoothly. Did various other trips over the years, including introducing my spouse to East Coast steaks (he was wowed, LOL) and doing an amazing Korean banquet down in Southern CA where the Asian food scene is so much more interesting than it is up in Northern CA.

Less than two years ago I remarked to my spouse that our travel costs had gone up about 30% from the start of our retirement, just for lodgings and restaurants. And of course, they've gone up since then as well.

Slowly we've settled down into more of a routine with the weekday regional trips. Having acquired a stray cat last year, it makes it a little more difficult to travel now. I don't really like boarding my pets, so right now we have someone who comes in to feed and clean the litterbox daily. But I'm reluctant to ask her to do it for two weeks straight! He's an older cat so upsetting his routine bothers him.

Ironically, the vet bills so far for the cat have totaled what we would spend on a week-long stay in the Napa Valley - one of the most expensive areas in CA to visit o_Oo_Oo_O

Meh. I guess I could if I felt like it, but my travel gene wore out. If there's such a thing as too much travel, that must be the problem...traveled for work a lot, traveled just for the sake of traveling, lived in a lot of places.

The only place I haven't been that I wanted to go was to Luxembourg.

Like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, I'm convinced there's no place like home.

Back