Dog-sized lizards spreading in southeastern US

"Exotic pets" are an increasing problem, especially in the warmer and more humid parts of the SE states....Florida, etc. People who get these "pets" often find out they cannot take care of them, and release them into the wild. The Python problem in Florida is a prime example. As the climate continues to warm, these tropical species will find the environment quite suitable for increasing their population.

We now see white-tail rabbits instead of small Geico lizards everywhere. Glad we decided to leave Florida and move back to Colorado. We also don't have any more large palmetto (water) bugs that are related to the cockroach. When we lived in Florida, they would show up in apartments. One lady, where we lived, told her mom "I'm paying this much for and apartment and it has cockroaches in it?" She was pretty disgusted.

I'll beat this story. I saw a doc yesterday about these cave hunters that found a cave filled with six types of bats and snakes that have adopted so they hang from the ceiling waiting for bats to fly by so they can eat them. Pleasant eh?

Back