Dolphins drag British girl, 10, underwater during 'ethical' swimming experience in Mexico

Why do people continually put themselves into dangerous situations with animals or fish or whatever?

People climb into the lion enclosure in a zoo. Stuff like that.

These people are crazy and if they get killed so much the better for the gene pool.

One of the main reasons I relocated to Florida was to be near dolphins. I am passionately in love with dolphins, and it breaks my heart to think of them trapped in an enclosure with strangers grabbing onto them. I refuse to go to any location that entraps dolphins or any other wild animals, it’s abusive.

I confess I have mixed emotions about this. I would like to point out that attractions like that put a lot of food on a lot of Mexican tables. I think the dolphins are well taken care of, and most. if not all, were born in captivity. Living in the wild is not without its dangers. We took our grandkids to a dolphin encounter in Cozumel, and we all enjoyed it. Cozumel looked much more prosperous than when we were there 20 years ago, and it was way, way more prosperous than, say, Belize, which was also a stop on the cruise. It's really easy to be preachy about animal rights when you don't have to worry about feeding your children.

Last edited:
That's quite a leap. Animal rights and human rights are not the same, are they? Humans have always used animals as work helpers, as food sources, as well as companions. Like I said, easy to be preachy.

Yes, Carol while it is a Leap we are still dealing with intelligent mammals who have rights they can't claim, a destiny to fulfill, and are working for the man! 😜

I have travelled a lot & have seen many tropical places advertising "Swim with the Dolphins" for tourists. I have never tried it. You wouldn't either if you were stung by jelly fish as I was swimming in the Indian Ocean off Zanzabar. I'll tell you, it really, really hurts. Anyway, why abuse animals for the gratification of some tourist's amusement?

Well, as I said, I have mixed emotions about it, but as far as I could see, there wasn't anything I would call abuse. Not even close. There are many intelligent mammals, not just dolphins. And we eat some of 'em. Is keeping the dolphins penned in abuse? Well, I keep my dogs in a fenced yard, and I'm sure they'd rather be roaming the neighborhood. I thought the experience was educational for the kids, and for us as well. And who's to say the dolphins aren't enjoying themselves?

You are always taking a risk when you enter the habitat of another creature. That being said, I've swam with the dolphins in Cozumel, too, and had an amazing experience. The area the dolphins are kept in is a large fenced area of ocean. They were not caged at any time.
The dolphins seemed to enjoy interacting with humans, but were not overly friendly. They were well trained and paid attention to their trainers.
I've been to other places that had "swim with the dolphins" attractions that had them in pools not connected to the ocean. I didn't want to swim with them in places like that.
Would I do it again? Yes, in a heartbeat. It was wonderful! Since I have swam with dolphins, there is no need to do it again. That one's been checked off my bucket list.
I also agree with CarolfromTX in that these attractions provide much needed income to people in third world countries.
The ECO attractions that I have visited in Mexico are really good about protecting both animals and people, but sometimes accidents happen.

I understand the need for taking care of your children and thankfully I don’t live in the third world so I get that, but if it’s not necessary for survival I don’t agree with forced captivity of animals for the amusement of humans.

Back