Don't Mess with Alabama

Packerjohn

Packerjohn
I have been in Texas and I have seen those signs: "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS." Well, today I have come across this little story about a little ole' lady who did not pay her trash bill in Alabama. Can you image that? Maybe she had no money. Well, poor excuse and the police in Alabama are going to accept it. Yap! They have arrested her. I hope they are not going to put her on a chain gang and make her work on the roads during the heat of summer. Bet her heart wouldn't take it.

Anyway, if your from Alabama or thinking of retiring there, take my advice and pay your bills or else!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63829128

I have been in Texas and I have seen those signs: "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS." Well, today I have come across this little story about a little ole' lady who did not pay her trash bill in Alabama. Can you image that? Maybe she had no money. Well, poor excuse and the police in Alabama are going to accept it. Yap! They have arrested her. I hope they are not going to put her on a chain gang and make her work on the roads during the heat of summer. Bet her heart wouldn't take it.

Anyway, if your from Alabama or thinking of retiring there, take my advice and pay your bills or else!

The Irony of the BBC reporting it, who have people arrested...and Jailed .... for not paying a TV licence in the UK ...

Due Process was satisfied when she was issued a Citation. She seems to have not paid it either purposely or negligently and it appears a warrant was issued for her arrest. It was not technically because of an unpaid bill.
Yes, she was playing the odds they wouldn't harm a "little old lady"

You can also be arrested for not showing up for jury duty (saw three warrants get issued) and if you don't respond to a "Debtors examination" (simple questions regarding what you own, in bankruptcy court) or even refusing to sign a traffic's ticket

Yes, she was playing the odds they wouldn't harm a "little old lady"

You can also be arrested for not showing up for jury duty (saw three warrants get issued) and if you don't respond to a "Debtors examination" (simple questions regarding what you own, in bankruptcy court) or even refusing to sign a traffic's ticket
Yes, in Ohio, for discussion, if a person does not sign a citation, it can result in an arrestable offense, even if the offense charged was not arrestable initially.

This is new to me. Arresting people for not paying a bill. It reminds me of the movie “A Christmas Carol.” The part where he says, “Have they no prisons, or debtor’s workhouses.” Or something to that effect. Depends on what version you watch.

What if she appeared as she was summoned to do, and said she could not pay it?

(I'm not saying this is what happened in that particular case, just asking in general).
That is quite different, as she would not have been arrested. If she can not pay, that is I am sure, negotiable with the govt.

The Irony of the BBC reporting it, who have people arrested...and Jailed .... for not paying a TV licence in the UK ...
You can't actually be jailed for not paying the TV licence. It's when a court imposes a fine for non payment and you fail to pay said fine that you can be sent to jail. The charge being: "Contempt of Court." It has happened, there have been a number of reviews to decriminalise non payment of the TV licence.

Read the whole article. She wasn't arrested for not paying her bill. She was arrested for not appearing in court in answer to a summons. This would be true in any state in the Union. She was booked and released immediately.

I'm sorry this happened, she's 82 and all, but even if you're old you're supposed to obey the law.

Update, I read the whole thread and see that ohioboy has addressed this cogently as per usual.

Back