Don't senior communities have the internet?

Senior communities are very different from each other. You have to check them out individually.
Some have communal computers in a common room much like the local public library. For me that would be unacceptable, I have a desktop computer, a flat bed scanner, a printer, a web cam, stereo speakers, and a 27" monitor.

If you pay for internet in your home now, ask if you can have private internet in your room. I’d be more than willing to pay for private internet. I don’t’ use public wifi.

At mine you have to pay for it. Most of the seniors here have cable, but not all have computers. All they have is an outlet to plug in for antenna service

Some do, and some do not.

And some have one, but not a reliable system.

There are ways to have one of your own, but which one, depends on the area as well as the rules.

I would think if they do, it would be open WiFi and I’ve heard of that causing problems.
Just call whoever is the local company, I’m in NY and it’s Spectrum formerly Time Warner and have it hooked up.

My apartment building is set for antenna service in each apartment. If you want cable or internet, you have to pay yourself. I have noticed that not a lot of residents here have computers, but most do have their cable

Sounds like you found a rockin' place to live, Sunny!
In some ways, it is, Star. We have about 8,500 residents, which makes it a fair-sized town, with a little bit of everything.

About the bar, restaurants, theatre, music, etc., our youngest residents are 55. Spouses who are 50 or more live here too. We're finally returning to live shows every month, put on by our very talented theatre group. It's been interesting to see the vintage of the music gradually move up in time, since I've been here. I used to complain that some of the residents think nothing happened musically since Sinatra. Well, the boomers took over, we've been through the 60's, and in September are finally putting on a show of pop favorites of the 70's. The director figured that some of our residents, the ones in their 50's, were born around 1966, and the spouses could have been born in 1971! So this show will even feature a few songs meant for children of those years. (I'm expecting to see a few Muppets on stage.)

Our last live show was the Irish show I wrote and directed, in March of 2020. We got in just under the wire. If we had scheduled it a week later, it would have been cancelled. I included a lot of very old songs, such as Danny Boy, but we also had songs by Enya and Van Morrison (not that they're so young any more, but they're a lot younger than Danny Boy!)

About the community, the best thing about it for me is all the activities. During the pandemic, I realized how important the activities with other people are, especially to those who live alone. It felt like I was just living in an ordinary condo, anywhere. There is much rejoicing that our activities have returned, let's hope these latest variants don't impose additional quarantines on us!

Too risky? Why? Of course, by now they probably all have wi-fi. Everyone has at least a cell phone.

Back