Dr. Fauci Now Says Vaccine Won't Prevent Coronavirus; Only Symptoms

Thats how vaccines work. They can't prevent someone from being exposed to or contracting a particular illness. Vaccines "infect" people with non harmful bits of the virus' RNA so their bodies can develop antibodies to fight off the illness if they do get exposed.

Fauci's words:

“The primary thing you want to do is that if people get infected, prevent them from getting sick, and if you prevent them from getting sick, you will ultimately prevent them from getting seriously ill,” Fauci said during an interview at Yahoo Finance’s All Markets Summit on Monday. “What I would settle for, and all of my colleagues would settle for, is the primary endpoint to prevent clinically recognizable disease.”

It usually takes years for researchers to find an effective treatment for a disease. Even then, such a vaccine must be updated periodically as a disease "mutates"....flu, for example. Given that this corona virus is a new variant, I suspect it will be rather optimistic to think that any "cure" being rushed into production now, will be a definitive solution.

I think the headline is misleading. As long as the vaccine prevents clinical symptoms -- death being one of them -- then it looks to me like that's a great result, no?
Not quite. From the CDC:
Vaccines contain the same germs that cause disease. (For example, measles vaccine contains measles virus, and Hib vaccine contains Hib bacteria.) But they have been either killed or weakened to the point that they don’t make you sick. Some vaccines contain only a part of the disease germ.

A vaccine stimulates your immune system to produce antibodies, exactly like it would if you were exposed to the disease. After getting vaccinated, you develop immunity to that disease, without having to get the disease first.

This is what makes vaccines such powerful medicine. Unlike most medicines, which treat or cure diseases, vaccines prevent them.

Back