Dress Codes in Church

Do you think having guidelines for what people can wear to church services is a good thing?

I think that as long as it's tasteful and covers up the appropriate areas it's fine. I've seen some pretty high-hemmed skirts and low-cut blouses that I though were a little over-the-top. Also guys in torn jeans and dirty tank tops is disrespectful. A nice sports shirt and slacks would go okay there. Casual - okay, Grunge - not.

On the other hand, it's difficult enough to get people in church without dictating what people can wear.

I honestly think God doesn't care. Why dress for the snooty congregation?
I'm not suggesting one be rude and disrespectful but hope all might share in worship without judgement.
This is one reason I have never found a church where I felt comfortable attending more than once or twice.

Deb I believe people should dress appropriately but...I don't believe God is gonna love someone any less at church if they show up dressed in what they have or what they can afford. The fact that they're there and worshipping is all that matters. It's what's on the inside.

Just because someone comes into a church dressed to the 9's doesn't make them any more of a believer than the others.

I've always wondered about the different religious dictates that insist either men or women cover the head or some other ridiculous rule.
Then there are the weird nudist churches . . . :oops:
Basically I question who in the hell (and I do mean who in the hell!) comes up with this stuff???
There are so many rules and regulations made up in the name of whatever god one chooses to follow it shows nobody has a clue and I believe it's just an attempt to exert control over the masses. :mad:
Worship, or don't, at your own discretion.

I've always wondered about the different religious dictates that insist either men or women cover the head or some other ridiculous rule.
Basically I question who in the hell (and I do mean who in the hell!) comes up with this stuff???
There are so many rules and regulations made up in the name of whatever god one chooses to follow it shows nobody has a clue and I believe it's just an attempt to exert control over the masses. :mad:
Blame the apostle Paul for the head covers.

Blame the apostle Paul for the head covers.
Although I know who the heck he is I'm tempted to reply, "Paul Who?". I have no use for him. I do not worship him nor any other blabber mouth. I'll listen to the words of Jesus and need no interpretation. Geez (get it? Jeez?!?) I'm waiting for him to return as promised. He's late!!!

As regards to attire, I tried attending a church here a few times long ago and encouraged my son to join me. (He declined and I wasn't going to insist). What I liked is anyone and everyone was welcome no matter how they appeared. There were some down and out looking homeless folks who came to sincerely worship and they were happily included. But soon the so-called preacher started his personal rant and I had to stop giving that any of my attention.

Although I know who the heck he is I'm tempted to reply, "Paul Who?". I have no use for him. I do not worship him nor any other blabber mouth. I'll listen to the words of Jesus and need no interpretation. Geez (get it? Jeez?!?) I'm waiting for him to return as promised. He's late!!!
He will be right on time. Just you wait.

This is part of why I don't bother with church. Too many petty rules that don't have anything to do with learning about God.

Nudist churches? OK, I'm converted...where are these churches? :ROFLMAO:

Tony

I quit going because the teachings became repetitive. The people were dull and the music was too LOUD.
I found a really nice online church outta Wichita that I like. He's a good pastor. He keeps thing interesting. I also didn't like crowds even then. Never have. Crowds just freak me out.

I've been Catholic and I've been Episcopalian. Episcopalians dress up for church. Catholics (by and large) don't. Episcopalians see church in part as a social event. They stick around for coffee afterward. Catholics see church as an obligation and get it over with as quickly as they can.

If church is something you enjoy, then go and dress as you see fit. It's not up to the church to impose a code on you.

No St. Paul = no Christianity. Without Paul's evangelizing, writing and conversion efforts Christianity would have remained an obscure Middle Eastern cult. And there are no "words of Jesus," only gospels written down long after his (His) death.

The fact that people go to church at all these days is something to be thankful for. That said, I think a certain amount of respect is desirable and being smartly dressed reflects that.
My mother and I once attended Midnight service on Christmas Eve and just as it was starting, a young man hurried in, breathless. He was unshaven and his clothes were dishevelled...but it was obviously important to him to be there...that's what matters.

No St. Paul = no Christianity. Without Paul's evangelizing, writing and conversion efforts Christianity would have remained an obscure Middle Eastern cult. And there are no "words of Jesus," only gospels written down long after his (His) death.
Sorry but that is wrong. The Christian church was established here in Britain first, brought over by Joseph of Aramathea.

Back