Dressing forward or backwards?

blue denim jeans worn until they were see-through, ragged, ripped, autographed, illustrated, and permanently grass-stained. I should have kept them - folks were paying hundreds of dollars not that long ago for "vintage" clothes that made them look like they actually did things!

In junior high and high school I followed all the fashion trends. I wore hot pants, combat boots, frayed bell bottoms and Mary Quant makeup with platform shoes in the late 70's that made me over six feet tall. 🙄

By college I wore sensible low canvas shoes, boots when appropriate, classic blazers and coats and a beret, always or a boater. ☺️

I just remembered something I did during high school to *fit in*. I used a blow-dryer and this gooey, sticky, green hair-gel called Dep to straighten my Jew-Fro.

I had super-curly hair, and not one other guy did; not one in the whole school. I spent massive amounts of time in the bathroom every morning trying to look like a Beatle or a surfer-boy; anything but a curly-haired male Orphan Annie of questionable descent.

I remember the first time I straightened that first strand, my hair was like 8 inches longer than I thought. Totally unexpected.

Back