Dying For A Hot Meal

fmdog44

With the power & water went out this past week there was only cold food to eat-no restaurants open. I am craving anything hot. I finally found a small store so open so I went in and what do I buy? Two boxes of Kraft Mac & Cheese and one pack of spaghetti. Got home, put it in the cabinet then it hit me.

LOL - I can so relate to this kind of thinking, FM. When our power was out many years ago, my 9 year old daughter went to open the garage door using the wired clicker on the wall. I said, "Oh Honey, you can't use that to open the door - it's electric. Let me get the remote control from my car."

My husband raised his eyebrows and said, "Yeah, 'cause that'll do it."

Hope you get your power back soon, FM.

With the power & water went out this past week there was only cold food to eat-no restaurants open. I am craving anything hot. I finally found a small store so open so I went in and what do I buy? Two boxes of Kraft Mac & Cheese and one pack of spaghetti. Got home, put it in the cabinet then it hit me.
I'm surprised nobody followed you home - "Whoa! This guy found water somewhere!"

Go back and get bottled water....or does your stove not work, either?

If you can find a selection of meat in a store, buy up some steaks and smokies, FM, and get a fire going in your backyard.

1.jpg

If you can find a selection of meat in a store, buy up some steaks and smokies, FM, and get a fire going in your backyard.

1.jpg
My neighbor had a bunch of steaks and rejoiced in thinking he was going to grille them until I asked him how he would defrost when the temp in Houston was 26 F and we had no power indoors and all stores closed.

Once things return to semi-normal again, FM, do you have a hot dream meal floating around in your head that you're going to make?
AM, A large plate of vermicelli spaghetti with bell peppers, mushrooms, onions and Italian sausage links with French bread heavily buttered and wine, lots n lots of wine. This will take place tonight in about an hour and a half. Life is good.

Husband & I were taking stock of what we have on hand ,,in case we have power outage.

We have generators, bottled water, freezers full of food.
Propane bottles,, I said we didn't throw out those 2 small grills,, did we?
He even knew where they were!
My condo will not allow propane but then they don't allow charcoal grilles either but a lot of folks have them including me.

AM, A large plate of vermicelli spaghetti with bell peppers, mushrooms, onions and Italian sausage links with French bread heavily buttered and wine, lots n lots of wine. This will take place tonight in about an hour and a half. Life is good.
Now that's what I call spoiling yourself, FM!

Do enjoy!

I heated water over some candles a few years back. After about an hour the hubby and I split a cup of instant coffee.
I would be just that desperate for coffee, too!

After a severe earthquake in this area, all power was knocked out for nearly a week, water for a bit longer. The EQ occurred in January at 4:31 AM, so everyone in the neighborhood was quite bleary-eyed by dawn. Fortunately the weather was mild even by So Cal standards, so living on our front lawns for several days wasn't an extreme hardship.

Within 2 hours of the initial quake my husband had our camping stove set up on our walkway. We were sitting in lawn chairs, sipping coffee (our kids had hot chocolate), pondering the disaster that was our house, deciding where to pitch our tent, planning very quick forays into the house to get supplies, listening to a portable radio, and discussing our irritation that this had not, in fact, been "The Big One" aka the much feared San Andreas Fault giving way.

Our neighbor across the street peered over from her lawn chair and shouted, "What are you drinking?"
"Coffee!" hubby shouted back. "Would you like some?"
She yelled across, "I made 8 dozen oatmeal raisin cookies yesterday and just rescued them from my kitchen!"
"I think we can do some business!" he yelled back.

As an aside: We learned many important lessons from that EQ, including that during disasters, your immediate neighbors are your life line, and you are theirs. People at odds with their neighbors fare far worse than those with no bad blood between them.

All openly shared what we had: know-how to shut off gas lines, brawn to move large furniture that had toppled, babysitting while parents attempted to secure a single room for the family to occupy when it felt safe to go back into our houses, batteries to power flashlights and radios, bottled water, food, whatever liquor remained intact, and so forth.

An LAPD neighbor was on the overnight shift. He cruised the neighborhood several times every night, sweeping his car's powerful spotlight across people's tents as a reminder that he was watching over us all. Each morning he provided real information about what was happening in the rest of the city.

It was the worst of times, it was the best of times. Our family learned so many useful lessons during that episode and we carry them with us to this day.

Back