Elder people face eviction and homelessness

Why weren't they interviewing people who were living month-to-month, paying $800 per month and whose rent had increased to $1,500 per month? These are the people who are losing housing completely. BTW, rhetorical question.
good question indeed ...
i find most of these news stories that simply they did not THINK about how it would look to the viewer ....
no one i know would feel sorry for someone who was comfortable paying 3000 a month but NEWS addressing the lower end opens a can of worms about how many will end up on street or couch surfing perhaps.

Comparing to other countries that are a fraction of size and not as diverse etc is not a real comparison.....

One of the biggest reasons for people living in poverty....and seldom mentioned....IMO, is Divorce. Today, almost 40% of marriages end up in divorce. The old "adage" of "two can live as cheaply as one" holds a lot of truth. When a couple splits, they have to contend with all the expenses of maintaining two households, which leaves both parties with limited means of saving for their retirements.

Marriage is certainly a challenge...staying together for decades can be difficult. But, if a person can learn to compromise, and not engage in arguments over every little issue, they stand a far better chance of not having to face a bleak retirement.

That is very good Military-Industrial Complex thinking, and what I want to say is a whole different topic. Our conflict with Puttin is like looking in a mirror and finding fault with ourselves. We have lost our understanding of what made the US a world leader and now argue in favor of dumping our disabled people on the streets and using the police to drive them away and keep them out of sight? Poverty kills and civilization might want to pay attention to that. We are the richest nation in the world and what we should be proud of is our military strength? That is like a college being proud of its football team, and not noticing the importance of all the other graduates.

I didn't say anything about being proud of our military strength. My point is that Western European countries are free to spend more on social services because they rely on the US to shoulder the burden of defending them. If those countries would pay their fair share (at least meet their NATO obligations) perhaps we would have more to spend on social services ourselves. As it is we are $30 trillion in debt and the hole gets deeper every day.

By the way, the interest on that $30 trillion is about $400 billion a year. That would buy a lot of elder care. People don't realize that we have spent ourselves into a terrible predicament.

By the way, the interest on that $30 trillion is about $400 billion a year. That would buy a lot of elder care. People don't realize that we have spent ourselves into a terrible predicament.
Yup, and that 400 million/yr. going to bond holders is at the present Fed rates of nearly Zero. If the Fed increases its rates substantially, half or more of the annual budget will be going towards interest on this National Debt. This nation is going to suffer greatly due to debt.

Don M. and JimBob

What if the government owned social media and could run it for the same profits private industry does? And what if each state had its own theme park for the purpose of collecting state revenue? There are great ways to raise revenue and I think we should start being creative and stop being trapped in doom and gloom.

One of the biggest reasons for people living in poverty....and seldom mentioned....IMO, is Divorce. Today, almost 40% of marriages end up in divorce. The old "adage" of "two can live as cheaply as one" holds a lot of truth. When a couple splits, they have to contend with all the expenses of maintaining two households, which leaves both parties with limited means of saving for their retirements.

Marriage is certainly a challenge...staying together for decades can be difficult. But, if a person can learn to compromise, and not engage in arguments over every little issue, they stand a far better chance of not having to face a bleak retirement.
I can attest to the financial challenges associated with divorce. My marriage was doomed after multiple instances of infidelity and abuse (all on his part) so there wasn't the remotest possibility of compromise for me. I was in my early 50s when we divorced and I was still working full-time. And yes, dividing assets at that late stage of life is financially difficult. But, through the grace of God, I landed on solid ground. Mind you, I'm not wealthy by most (any) standards but my primary goal after selling our marital home was to eventually buy a home of my own. Which I did. I felt safe and secure having a place to call my own.

I can attest to the financial challenges associated with divorce. My marriage was doomed after multiple instances of infidelity and abuse (all on his part) so there wasn't the remotest possibility of compromise for me. I was in my early 50s when we divorced and I was still working full-time. And yes, dividing assets at that late stage of life is financially difficult. But, through the grace of God, I landed on solid ground. Mind you, I'm not wealthy by most (any) standards but my primary goal after selling our marital home was to eventually buy a home of my own. Which I did. I felt safe and secure having a place to call my own.
I agree with this too. Every single instance of divorce that I've known of with the exception of my own, one spouse or the other made out like a bandit and the other was impoverished. And I think that the reason my own didn't fall into that category was because we had no children.

Don M. and JimBob

What if the government owned social media and could run it for the same profits private industry does? And what if each state had its own theme park for the purpose of collecting state revenue? There are great ways to raise revenue and I think we should start being creative and stop being trapped in doom and gloom.
have you ever seen a government run program that staying in budget let alone made a profit .....?
when my state legalized recreational weed they promised the sun moon and stars to citizens about rolling in tax money ........
EXCEPT that the legal stuff with all the added taxes.......from state approved stores cost 75% higher then street so most major users buy street ..........

They had promised huge fees to be a grower license etc.... yet no one is really watching found a man with Bogus license for the last few years selling to state oversight stores and a grow operation as big as 3 Costcos less then a block from the capital
too many in government do not have ANY common sense or ANY real business skills.

I agree with this too. Every single instance of divorce that I've known of with the exception of my own, one spouse or the other made out like a bandit and the other was impoverished. And I think that the reason my own didn't fall into that category was because we had no children.
In my case, it was my ex-husband who profited the most...initially. He was 10 years older than I and quickly remarried to a woman who was at least 20 years his junior who was unemployed. I think the intent was for them to not work and move outside of the United States to Latin America where they could have a good quality of life and live off of what he got in the divorce. I'm not sure what became of them nor do I wish to know.

My concern was to keep a roof over my head until I could own a house again someday. I continued working, saving as much as I could. It was challenging at times and I can't say that I am in the same financial position as I was when I was married but I am oh so much happier now.

have you ever seen a government run program that staying in budget let alone made a profit .....?
when my state legalized recreational weed they promised the sun moon and stars to citizens about rolling in tax money ........
EXCEPT that the legal stuff with all the added taxes.......from state approved stores cost 75% higher then street so most major users buy street ..........

They had promised huge fees to be a grower license etc.... yet no one is really watching found a man with Bogus license for the last few years selling to state oversight stores and a grow operation as big as 3 Costcos less then a block from the capital
too many in government do not have ANY common sense or ANY real business skills.

😂 I had not thought of that money scheme. How about the money it makes on booze though?

In 2020, revenue from alcohol tax in the United States amounted to 9.49 billion U.S. dollars. The forecast predicts an increase in alcohol tax revenue up to 9.53 billion U.S. dollars in 2026. The total revenue of the U.S. government in 2020 totaled to 3.42 trillion U.S. dollars.Aug 3, 2021

• U.S. - alcohol tax revenue 2026 | Statista

In most states, the legal burden of remitting beer excise taxes falls on retailers, but some collection variations exist from state to state. For instance, some states levy taxes further up the supply chain by taxing brewers, importers, or other wholesalers at a percentage of revenue generated or at a fixed price per gallon, bottle, or case of beer sold. Many states also generate revenue by collecting license fees from beer distributors.
https://taxfoundation.org/state-beer-taxes-2021/

The increased cigarette tax by $2 per pack is projected to yield an annual revenue of $134.86 million. Lane County passed the tobacco and nicotine tax 67.2% to 32.8% with a major lead from voters.Dec 30, 2020

about the Oregon tobacco and nicotine tax increase that starts ...

I never looked at things this way before. I think some interesting philosophical questions could be asked about all the levels of government sucking off the ingenuity and work of others, rather than being the direct provider of something we all want and will gladly pay for.

It is all rather confusing, isn't it? We expect the people we put in office to make decisions that improve the economy. But you are saying "too many in government do not have ANY common sense or ANY real business skills." We are a democracy. That means we all hold responsibility for what happens. Perhaps we need better organization and communication?

How about publically owned utilities? Are they succeeding?

What if we all owned the hospitals in our communities? Instead of paying for insurance, we own shares in our medical care systems? Maybe we need to think outside of the box?

Last edited:

There are people who have thought they must accumulate wealth and property and pass this on to the children, or at least the oldest son who has duties to the family. We might want to rethink things like family relations and what are our rights and duties in the family? Can even do that? Our lives are so wrapped around careers and politics and religion, but what happened to thinking in terms of family?

😂 I had not thought of that money scheme. How about the money it makes on booze though?

I never looked at things this way before. I think some interesting philosophical questions could be asked about all the levels of government sucking off the ingenuity and work of others, rather than being the direct provider of something we all want and will gladly pay for.

It is all rather confusing, isn't it? We expect the people we put in office to make decisions that improve the economy. But you are saying "too many in government do not have ANY common sense or ANY real business skills. We are a democracy. That means we all hold responsibility for what happens. We need perhaps need better organization and communication?

How about publically owned utilities? Are they succeeding?

What if we all owned the hospitals in our communities? Instead of paying for insurance, we own shares in our medical care systems? Maybe we need to think outside of the box?
the fact is many products are taxed at various levels of production on top of taxes to the actual consumer.........many states if you travel to others you may look at cost of cigarettes or alcohol etc and see a huge price discrepancy ....... because one state taxes heavy the other not.

I had private utilities in my first house and public in second ......... with NO explanation the public is costing me about 13- 15% more....most likely because Public options etc are subsidizing other items .. or diverting to other programs etc....

but what happened to thinking in terms of family
Family changed...... Many are estranged not like olden times where people just put up with mom and dad or the wayward child etc..... most cut them off.

Best thing to do like ANY troubled business etc is to go through the books line by line and fix the problem ....most government things have HIDDEN items..... paying for other programs with .02% of this fee or that fee UNRELATED items skimming off the top.

Last edited:

Don M. and JimBob

Many states already run lotteries and collect enormous amounts of revenue that way. Most states also have balanced budget requirements so that they can't run endless deficits.

The idea of government-owned social media doesn't sit too well with me, but I do agree there are ways to raise revenue, lower costs and spend money more wisely.

@Vida May I have to ask, are there no religious or mental health workers that go in once a week to clean and help them?
Over here we have Baptist and Anglican care as well as Homecare nurses that will visit once or twice a week.
I used to do home care nursing, which consisted of helping them bathe and checking on medications as well as treating wounds and basic medicals.

We have those services and I think it is pretty easy for social and mentally normal people to access help. It is no problem if a person can pay for the services, but can be a problem for those who can not pay. The restrictions on getting help for low-income people can be a barrier.

We have qualified people who are not capable of accessing services because of mental problems. They have always been on the margin of society and do not know of the services or do not know how to access them. For this reason, I would like a system that results in someone helping them access help, BEFORE, they are evicted.

Back