Elevated Heart Rate

Laine

My heart rate has always been on the high side, but for the past year or so it easily goes up to the 130s or higher, after walking up a short flight of stairs, etc.
With strenuous activity, 160s, and I start to feel bad.
I am 65, thin, blood work is all good. I have normal EKG's.
At my physical my doctor said, "well, you're 65 now, your heart is not in good shape."
Does that strike anyone else as odd?
Your heart suddenly is in bad shape according to your birthday?!

I've been going to the gym frequently or walk in my neighborhood. My heart rate goes up, but I tolerate it ok.
I am on medication that can cause tachycardia, but had it before starting meds too.
Should I insist on a cardiology referral?

At my physical my doctor said, "well, you're 65 now, your heart is not in good shape."

Should I insist on a cardiology referral?
Based on that comment from your doctor, yes I would ask for a referral.

He worded it pretty poorly is all he meant was you have 65 year old heart. I would assume he actually meant what he said. I am 69 and have had some cardo testing, my doctor always says my heart is fine. If and when I hear "not in good shape" I will get it checked out.

Hi Laine, I read your post and had a question -

1) What is your resting heart rate?

I know when I exercise, my heart rate goes up, and that's normal. The thing is, after you exercise and your heart
rate goes up, does it come back down? Or does it stay up? Just curious.

You may be aware of this, but sending a link by the Mayo Clinic with information about tachycardia -
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tachycardia/symptoms-causes/syc-20355127

Tachycardia can lead to atrial-fib and other complications. Age does matter. The older we get, the more probability
that things start breaking down. A relative of mine had atrial fib and had to take medication for it. Also, keep in mind,
what may have worked in the past regarding medications, may no longer work. If you're taking a medication that may cause tachycardia, I would strongly encourage you to talk to your doctor about switching to something that does not have that side effect.

Also, get another opinion from another cardiologist. Just to be safe. Hope this helped.:)

Have you had your magnesium levels checked lately? I was amazed to find that lots of people are magnesium deficient. I went through a scary time about ten years ago, where my heart rate would suddenly soar, for no reason and stay up. Then the atrial fibrillations started; I visited the ER at least 3 times! They said that my stress test was fine, but still wanted me to consider ablation surgery. The doctor thought I had suddenly developed high blood pressure and put me on blood pressure meds. It got much worse. Then a friend had me read a book called "The Magnesium Miracle." I started taking Magnesium Taurate, (which is the best one for the heart. In about six months, I was back to normal. It might be something to think about.

Have you had your magnesium levels checked lately? I was amazed to find that lots of people are magnesium deficient. I went through a scary time about ten years ago, where my heart rate would suddenly soar, for no reason and stay up. Then the atrial fibrillations started; I visited the ER at least 3 times! They said that my stress test was fine, but still wanted me to consider ablation surgery. The doctor thought I had suddenly developed high blood pressure and put me on blood pressure meds. It got much worse. Then a friend had me read a book called "The Magnesium Miracle." I started taking Magnesium Taurate, (which is the best one for the heart. In about six months, I was back to normal. It might be something to think about.
Yes, I think most of us are probably deficient in magnesium. That's a good reminder, thanks!

Back