English Language - Queries, Quirks and Quandries

SeaBreeze

Endlessly Groovin'
This thread is all about our everyday use of the English language, including questions and comments about words and phrases, and the parts they play in daily conversations and writing. Please use this thread to ask any questions you may have, or to voice your opinions on the rapidly changing English language.

Since we're all seniors here, we've seen some words in our lifetime lose popularity, while others have just been created and actually added to official dictionaries such as the Merriam-Webster dictionary. I have the New Webster Dictionary (deluxe encyclopedic edition) from the early 80s...so I'm sure there are many new words that are missing. Here are just some words that have been added in recent times...

The 2012 update includes a range of new words that you can judge as delightful or reprehensible, including bucket list, mash-up, craft beer, sexting, and f-bomb..
From Merriam-Webster's Peter Sokolowski, here's the full list of words:

aha moment n (1939) : a moment of sudden realization, inspiration, insight, recognition, or comprehension [Oprah Winfrey's signature phrase]

brain cramp n (1982) : an instance of temporary mental confusion resulting in an error or lapse of judgment

bucket list n (2006) : a list of things that one has not done before but wants to do before dying [popularized by the movie title]

cloud computing n (2006) : the practice of storing regularly used computer data on multiple servers that can be accessed through the Internet [technology]

copernicium n (2009) : a short-lived artificially produced radioactive element that has 112 protons

craft beer n (1986) : a specialty beer produced in limited quantities : microbrew

earworm n (1802) 1 : corn earworm 2 : a song or melody that keeps repeating in one’s mind ["this summer's example being the inescapable Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen."]

energy drink n (1904) : a usually carbonated beverage that typically contains caffeine and other ingredients (as taurine and ginseng) intended to increase the drinker’s energy

e-reader n (1999) : a handheld electronic device designed to be used for reading e-books and similar material

f-bomb n (1988) : the word f**k — used metaphorically as a euphemism

flexitarian n (1998) : one whose normally meatless diet occasionally includes meat or fish

game changer n (1993) : a newly introduced element or factor that changes an existing situation or activity in a significant way

gassed adj (1919) ... 2 slang : drained of energy : spent, exhausted

gastropub n (1996) : a pub, bar, or tavern that also offers meals of high quality

geocaching n (2000) : a game in which players are given the geographical coordinates of a cache of items which they search for with a GPS device

life coach n (1986) : an advisor who helps people make decisions, set and reach goals, or deal with problems

man cave n (1992) : a room or space (as in a basement) designed according to the taste of the man of the house to be used as his personal area for hobbies and leisure activities

mash-up n (1859) : something created by combining elements from two or more sources: as a : a piece of music created by digitally overlaying an instrumental track with a vocal track from a different recording b : a movie or video having characters or situations from other sources c : a Web service or application that integrates data and functionalities from various online sources ["Whether it's a politician contradicting him or herself with excerpts from different speeches shown in quick succession or Danger Mouse's Grey Album, mixing Jay-Z with the Beatles, we've come to expect combined and rearranged elements that bring new perspectives and new creativity to our culture with mash-ups," says editor Sokolowski. "It's a recent phenomenon, made possible with digital editing, and it has a fun and descriptive name."]

obesogenic adj (1986) : promoting excessive weight gain : producing obesity

sexting n (2007) : the sending of sexually explicit messages or images by cell phone

shovel-ready adj (1998) of a construction project or site : ready for the start of work

systemic risk n (1982) : the risk that the failure of one financial institution (as a bank) could cause other interconnected institutions to fail and harm the economy as a whole [the global financial crisis]

tipping point n (1959) : the critical point in a situation, process, or system beyond which a significant and often unstoppable effect or change takes place

toxic adj (1664) ... 4 : relating to or being an asset that has lost so much value that it cannot be sold on the market

underwater adj (1672) ... 3 : having, relating to, or being a mortgage loan for which more is owed than the property securing the loan is worth
Sokolowski's personal favorite in the 2012 list is gastropub, he says: "The highbrow/lowbrow combination—highbrow gastro, lowbrow pub—is very much a trend I appreciate."

It's probably not a surprise that we wanted to know both how words get into the dictionary, and whether they ever get cut (they do!). Sokolowski referred us to a couple of M-W.com videos on the subjects. When a word is removed, he says, it's usually because the thing it names is no longer used; other times the word itself becomes dated, like hodad, used in the Beach Boys era to mean a non-surfer who pretends to be a surfer.

Terms made up of two or more words, he says, are particularly susceptible to removal. (Removed words remain in the Unabridged Dictionary.) When a word is added, Sokolowski explains, the process begins with reading.

Merriam-Webster editors look for words in "their natural habitat for real evidence of the language in use," and select them for entry based on new meanings and frequency of use. That doesn't mean these words haven't existed, even for centuries, as you see in the dates listed next to each of them. The dates indicate "the first use of that word in English that we can find," says Sokolowski. In 1802, earworm meant the actual creature.

Sokolowski tells us, "In the Collegiate, as in the Unabridged (and the Oxford English Dictionary), senses are in strict historical order. The first sense is the oldest; the last sense the most recent. In this way, you read the history, or "biography," of a word as you read down the entry. Many words move from the concrete to the abstract, from the literal to the metaphorical. Think of vitriol, for example, or, in this list, underwater.

The new sense is metaphorical, i.e. "underwater mortgage." The lesson is that words are mutable, traveling through history as humans put different meanings on them. As Sokolowski says, "That's actually the whole story, told over and over and over again. Only dead languages are static." http://www.thewire.com/entertainmen...s-new-words-f-bomb-sexting-bucket-list/55745/

There is a word that is mispronounced very often. There were several people where I worked that all said it the same way. I'm not sure if it was the way it was said where they came from, they learned to say it that way as a child...or what. :p

The word is height. It should be pronounced hit (long "I", so it's sounded like the letter "I").

They pronounce the word like heith (like the "TH" in "thanks" at the end).

I've tried to reason with a couple of them, that they should also say weith, instead of weight.

Does anyone here say height like that, do you know what I mean??

Their pronunciation of height as hit is incorrect. North, south, east and west, the pronunciation is height, not hit, regardless how long the "i" is. You can get a regional pronunciation of many words but they are incorrect.

If it was a short "I" then it would be hit...as in, "He hit you". But being a long "I", it's pronounced as height...so I think we're both in agreement with that, and we're both pronouncing it correctly. :)

Another one is creek, pronounced with a long e that some pronounce as crick. Do you say route or route, long o or short. In the South here, y'all are "fixin' to" do something. I don't care how long I live in the South, those words will never cross my lips..lol

For mispronunciation, this is the one word that drives me crazy, both in pronouncing and misspelling....prolly, for probably.

Jilly, you're correct, and I've seen loose misused a lot as well.
images

I've heard a few doozies that were either just too cute to correct, or I didn't mind the particular person making an arse of themselves every time they said it.

One I've heard a few say is Heightth, I guess because we tack 'th' on to say width and depth they think it applies to height as well.

One had a problem with applying the past and present tense of ring and rung. A time honoured practice of clearing scrub is to ring-bark a tree and let it die, get eaten out by borers and termintes and fall over eventually of it's own accord. A rural Aunt would announce she was going down to "ring-bark that stand down the gully" and when she got back she would tell us that she had rung-barked them. No, I wasn't going to correct her while she still carried the axe.

It was a family thing, I met her brother once and he used the same term. (None of them were well known in the schoolyard, they lived a long way out of town when they lived in a house at all, and travelled with their parents following work around the country for most of their school age years so they had a good excuse. They also had some really strange turns of phrase.)

Pronunciation is a lost cause these days as there is such a mix of accents and overlapping languages that it's becoming a matter of make your own arrangements and if people still understand what you said you're in front.

If you want to get into pronunciation problems try talking to a Kiwi for an hour. When you recover from learning that six is pronounced 'correctly' as "sex" then you'll realise that they switch all the vowels around to make themselves talk funny. (Fern is busy loading )

Who are we to judge when we have towns like Goonoo Goonoo which is pronounced Gunnergunoo? Or Wauchope which is Warhope in NSW and Walkup in the NT? Even many of the old established words have differing 'correct' pronunciations in different places. I used to care but I'm about over it.

Many take offence at being corrected too and you end up with the grammarnazi tag. siiiiigh.
If they ask fine, if it's going to cause them severe embarrassment in future then it's worth the risk, but otherwise I let it pass.

e.g.... yeah can't 'elp meself... Mum was a stickler for manners and decorum but had the quirk of never saying "knife and fork or just cutlery". Her youngest brother couldn't contain the smirk any longer and one day when she said "could you bring me a fork 'n knife please?" He asked did she want "a fork 'n spoon too?" We were all propped on walls laughing uncontrollably while she sat there in total bewilderment.

When everyone had gone she demanded to know what we were laughing at. So I explained. Was she embarrassed? Nooooo. I was told off in no uncertain terms for even thinking she would mean such a thing. She just didn't understand that it was the fact that she didn't mean it that made it so funny.
We came from different planets Mum and I.

Just thought of one which flashes a person's IQ in neon on their forehead. "Arksed" instead of asked. ... and of course there's Dubya's iconic mispronunciation of nuclear. I've even heard professional TV journos say "nukula". That one makes my ears hurt.

The 'new' words. I gradually got used to them, and now fully appreciate that they are usually a great improvement to the ability of the language to cover complex situations simply, aptly and conveniently.
Jane Austin would have taken a chapter to cover "clusterf***" and 7 paragraphs to explain an 'aha moment'. I won't use it to replace epiphany though, that remains a favourite.
Cartoonists did it best when the light bulb was pictured over a character's head. It was a brilliant innovation in 'sight' language and perhaps the birth of the emoticon?

Anyone else see emoticons as a mighty fine replacement for words when used thoughtfully?
Maybe in the future the English language will be written like heiroglyphs. Full circle.

Ozarkgal, I've always said creek, and Jill I agree it's lose, not loose. :playful: Prolly...ain't even goin' there, if I knew anyone that was saying that I'd have to slap them, LOL! :p

What about coupon...I say the OU...but some people say coopon. :confused:

One I've heard a few say is Heightth, I guess because we tack 'th' on to say width and depth they think it applies to height as well.

Many take offence at being corrected too and you end up with the grammarnazi tag. siiiiigh.
If they ask fine, if it's going to cause them severe embarrassment in future then it's worth the risk, but otherwise I let it pass.

Just thought of one which flashes a person's IQ in neon on their forehead. "Arksed" instead of asked. ... and of course there's Dubya's iconic mispronunciation of nuclear. I've even heard professional TV journos say "nukula". That one makes my ears hurt.

Now I can understand better where these people are coming from with heightth (good way to spell it!). I always had to compare it to weight when I explained it to them. But you're right, people do take offence and I only correct someone if I'm very friendly with them, and if it's important to let them know (and they'd appreciate the info).

Who can forget Dubya mispronouncing nuclear, LOL! :witless:

Is it depot..long e , or depot, with a short e?

Coupon with a long u.

Di..I really like emoticons because sometimes the typed word just needs some emotion for emphasis during internet conversations.

:saywhat:

I was listening to roomie talk on the phone this evening describing her visit to the doctors (I had correctly diagnosed that she had had a TIA and insisted she go) and she was telling her friend how she had to have a "bunch of testes". :hypnotysed:

I thought I had misheard, but after the fourth or fifth time I was sure of what she was saying.

I don't quite get how "energy drink" was first used in 1904, though. :confused:

Pennsylvania is full of mispronunciations, but to be fair so is every other place I've ever lived - people seem to love embracing their regionalisms. In New York it was that NY pronunciation - "New Yawk", "Dese, Dem, Dat" and "Dose" for "These, Them That" and "Those", "fodda" and "mudda" for "father" and "mother".

Here in PA what drives me to drink is the old "H'ain-it" or "Hain't" or even "H'ain-it or no?" (not sure how they would spell it even if they could spell) for "Isn't it" or "Isn't".

A pair of phrases I've heard from both sides of the big pond is "go with" and "have you been yet" - they seem to be excessively lazy phrases that the utterer can't be bothered completing.

"Are you going to go with?" Go with WHOM?

"Have you been yet?" Have I been WHAT?!? Finish your &$^#% sentence, you gibbering twit!

(This last example came to mind because I was once again watching all the old episodes of Fawlty Towers and a proper British lady used it :D).

Emoticons are nice, I suppose - I use them myself, almost to distraction - but truth be told they're a lazy person's way of using descriptive writing. I don't doubt that they'll be the future English language though - Buddha knows it's been destroyed enough as it is.

It's depot, with a long E. Another one that bugs me to hear is conversating. Instead of someone saying they were conversing with another, or having a conversation. Seems like I'm hearing that one more and more often, usually when shopping at Walmart, lol! :D

What about often? I was always taught not to pronounce the T, and say it like offen. But many people say the T.

It's depot, with a long E. Another one that bugs me to hear is conversating. Instead of someone saying they were conversing with another, or having a conversation. Seems like I'm hearing that one more and more often, usually when shopping at Walmart, lol! :D

There was a time a few years back when it became fashionable in the corporate world to make verbs out of nouns. So we had conversate, decruit, diarize, partnering ... the list is long and irritating.

What about often? I was always taught not to pronounce the T, and say it like offen. But many people say the T.

"Offen".

I was listening to roomie talk on the phone this evening describing her visit to the doctors (I had correctly diagnosed that she had had a TIA and insisted she go) and she was telling her friend how she had to have a "bunch of testes". :hypnotysed:

I don't quite get how "energy drink" was first used in 1904, though. :confused:

A pair of phrases I've heard from both sides of the big pond is "go with" and "have you been yet" - they seem to be excessively lazy phrases that the utterer can't be bothered completing.

"Are you going to go with?" Go with WHOM?

"Have you been yet?" Have I been WHAT?!? Finish your &$^#% sentence, you gibbering twit!

Hope your roomie is okay Phil, my mother in law was having those TIAs, not a good thing at all. :( But it's pretty cute that she said testes, we can lovingly forgive her on that one. :love_heart:

Maybe that's when they started putting coke in coke soft drinks, and might have referred to them as energy drinks back in the day?

I'm going for a walk now, wanna come with? :p

Hope your roomie is okay Phil, my mother in law was having those TIAs, not a good thing at all. :( But it's pretty cute that she said testes, we can lovingly forgive her on that one. :love_heart:

She's OK, thanks for asking, but it's her third one in several years. Still smoking those cheap cigarillo things, though. :( Doctors said the problem was that she stopped taking her Plavix for a few days, and while I don't doubt that had some bearing I still believe it's lifestyle-related - lack of exercise, smoking and over-eating.

Maybe that's when they started putting coke in coke soft drinks, and might have referred to them as energy drinks back in the day?

I hadn't even considered that. Still, seems a bit odd ...

I'm going for a walk now, wanna come with? :p

GAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :mad:

:playful:

What about people who say irregardless, instead of regardless. Got my hair cut recently and the gal was a real chatterbox. She must have said irregardless around 30 times in 15 minutes. :eek: Never corrected her though, not that anal. :)

What about people who say irregardless, instead of regardless. Got my hair cut recently and the gal was a real chatterbox. She must have said irregardless around 30 times in 15 minutes. :eek: Never corrected her though, not that anal. :)

I have to admit somewhat sheepishly that until a few years ago I was guilty of the same thing. I don't know how that one got under my Good Grammar Radar but it did.

Radar, there's a weird one for you ... started off as an acronym, RADAR, but has now entered the language as the noun "radar".

That's just an overly polite euphanism for did you remember to go to the loo before we leave? :)

We in OZ and NZ have been bombarded with all manner of weird and wonderful pronunciations from birth through our exposure to foreign (yes you too are technically 'foreign' here) entertainment media. The majority of movies were US made, and in our house at least, most TV shows sprang from the UK. Not to mention the many and varied accents of European and Asians immigrants around us every day.

The US has it's own range of accents of course but nothing compared to variety of them from the UK where the further North they come from the more words seem to be pronounced with an 'ook' in them.

While all this was being absorbed we still had our own distinctive accents and pronunciations (wish I could invent a shorter word for that!) to preserve.....or.. if you grew up in NZ.... Wheel ill thess was being ibsorbed we stull hid our own dustunctive iccents and....

So we subconciously processed the translations without thinking too much about it really.
Word...... pronounced in OZ.......=.........US...........
New..........Nyew...................................Noo
Coupon.....Coopon................................Cowpon to Cyewpon?
Couth.......Cooth, same as youth................can't recall hearing it.
Laugh.......Larf......................................Laff
Vase.........Varze...................................Vayce/Vayze
Class........Cl arse..................................Cl ass (see a pattern there? )
Depot.......Deppo...................................Deepo
Often........Offen
Defence....da fence................................Dee fence

But then we come to the best one/s.
Route .......Root..(not used much)...........Rout
Rut...........if it's in the road =rut. If organisms are involved it's =root. (Who's gonna bother with saying fornication when root will do and it is every so slightly less confronting than the F bomb?) By extension the term "he was firmly rooted" doesn't mean he was settled in, it means he was pretty much f****d up. Less than impressive, or disliked, men named Ted are often nicknamed 'Roo' for that reason.

We don't use route much because of that little problem. You won't hear an Aussie ask another "Which route are you planning on taking?" because it would imply they were being asked if they'd made a decision about which intimate friend would be accompanying them.
A 'rout' here still means an embarrassingly messy defeat and would simply elicit a "What?" The travel plan would be queried instead as "Which way are ya going?''
The problem with 'route' all stems from it's differing pronunciation bending it's meaning.

I tend to write as I think and sometimes as I imagine how those who I write about, or to, 'hear' or 'say' things rather than read them, and so write in an 'accent' when it seems appropriate, does that bother people at all?
It probably won't change my way of writing but I'm kind of curious as I've never really given that much thought before. Just wonderin'.

It is interesting to hear how those in Australia and New Zealand pronounce certain words. Don't bother me at all to write with an accent, makes it sound like you're really speaking to the person. Sometimes I'll write in different accents to get the point across. :)

I've noticed lately when I go to the library that a lot of people are sending or receiving cell phone calls. :rolleyes: Anyhoo, full grown adults will tell the other person that they are at the "liberry". :p

One word I've always struggled with is February. It should be pronounced Febrooary...but it's much easier to say Febuary, and leave out that R.

I've noticed lately when I go to the library that a lot of people are sending or receiving cell phone calls. :rolleyes: Anyhoo, full grown adults will tell the other person that they are at the "liberry". :p

The mind reels at what could happen if only they would put down their phones in that place ...

One word I've always struggled with is February. It should be pronounced Febrooary...but it's much easier to say Febuary, and leave out that R.

It DOES seem a more natural ponuonsiation, doesn't it? :p

I know, the library used to be like a church...not anymore. Another one is people who say "I'm not for sure", instead of saying "I'm not sure".

Back