Ever go picking wild apples?

Georgiagranny

We used to just drive out into the countryside and pick wild apples from trees growing along the roadside. I have no idea what kinds they were, a mixture, but they certainly did make great applesauce, apple jam and apple pies.

Oh goodness yes.. all the time ..once upon a time, and scrumping for apples .. meaning stealing apples from someone else's tree , when we were kids was a given...

Since then of course I have had my own apple trees..but eventually the windfalls were too much for me to cope with .. I couldn't even give apples away in the end..

IMG-20131110-00287.jpg

I eat wild apples that I come across while out in the countryside. Sometimes I will eat them while they are still on the green side. I got quite a taste for the tart sour like taste of green apples. Me and my trusty pocketknife I would slice them open and cut of pieces and if there were no worms in them, then I would eat them.

As kids my brothers and sisters and I would pick green apples from the tree in our yard and sit on the back porch with salt shakers eating green apples.

Yanno that phrase about the "green apples quickstep"? Yeah. We suffered but figured it was worth it.

Years ago, the biggest apple processing plant in Washington state burned down and Apple farmers were left with the crop on their hands, much of which had already been picked.

Local pig farmers were free to take as much as they wanted. Can you imagine how good the pork was that year from apple-fed hogs? Mmm-Mmm.

Only once. 40 years ago, my ex wife & I visited friends in St. George, Utah. Our friend took us to a huge field with so many apple trees, everyone was welcome to pick as many as they wanted. I'll never forget how sweet they were. After I ate 4 of them, we filled 3 bags & took them home, without realizing it was illegal to bring out-of-state fruit to CA.

ETA: Just remembered it more clearly. Evidently, my ex wife did know it was illegal, but I didn't. When we stopped at that Agricultural Inspection station, the officer asked where we were coming from. I said, "Utah & Las Vegas." Then he asked if we brought anything. I was thinking about what he meant by "anything," & my wife said, "No." He waved us on.
My wife explained about bringing fruit back.

Last edited:
Oh goodness yes.. all the time ..once upon a time, and scrumping for apples .. meaning stealing apples from someone else's tree , when we were kids was a given...

Since then of course I have had my own apple trees..but eventually the windfalls were too much for me to cope with .. I couldn't even give apples away in the end..

IMG-20131110-00287.jpg
Or do like I do when I get a large crop of apples I make cider It sell better than the apples It is certainly more work but I do enjoy it I make around 20 gallons or more and always end up selling it all

Back