Ever hear of Transient Global Amnesia?

Pappy

Living the Dream
A good friend of ours just suffered a day or two of this. One minute everything was fine, and then she lost all memory for about 30 hours. She seems fine now but is having an MRI today to see if there is a cause that did this.

Yes, I experienced a family member having it. It was more scary to me worried about them, than it was for them, I think. Though they were confused about what they were doing, and why they were in the specific location, etc...

They were tested and checked, as I took them to an ER, and nothing bad was found, and it never did recur.
They never did remember those few days they totally forgot, though. Nothing at all, in their memory, that they had done, prior to the episode, for that entire time period. All wiped clean. Shocking it was for me, who remembered important, significant happenings those days, that went missing for them.

I showed them the library books they had selected and taken home from the library. I showed them where a personal item was, that they were searching for, which they had hand-washed and set out to dry. NO recall on their part. It was strange.

I hope that your friend gets a clean bill of health too!

I remember it so vividly. I'd had a meaningful, but not stressful conversation with them, a few hours before their very sudden episode, exactly the way Pappy described it,
and they had no recall that we'd even discussed the topic, nor any of what they themselves had said about it, or any of what I had said.
That was coincidental that we'd discussed something personal, but then, in an instant, they didn't know what they were doing, and that conversation included in those previous couple of days, were just gone, for them.

I know it could sound like a convenient way to act, :sneaky: but it truly wasn't.
I was so very relieved the person I loved was fine, after all. I had feared what it might be, of course.

Yes. My parents had/have this. It’s sometimes considered the grey area where days of dementia are worse than others. It fluctuates ; at least it does/ did with them.

With the person I knew extremely well, they were then able to remember everything from before that 3 day period, and could form new memories, after that time period, and had no recurrences. Just everything from those days was gone for good.
Thankfully it hadn't been a longer time period.
I do hope that the friend Pappy wrote about, will be fine too.

It was scary, in my family case, but turned out fine.
There could be totally different causes, that might have different outcomes. I wouldn't know.

But the person i know, got that exact worded diagnosis, at the hospital, that is in the title of this thread. Testing was all clear, though.

Back