Evidence of Stroke in eye test

Pauline1954

My Dad had Macular degeneration eye disease. So Ive always been careful about making sure I watch out for signs of eye disease. Earlier this year the eye doctor found abnormal vein enlargement. It still is but seems healthy not progression. So now rhe doctor instead of addressing this condition to tell me Im good come back in a few months he had the assistant give me visual eye test. So the visual eye test turns out evidence of a stroke. Doc asked me if I ever had a stroke. I sais not that im aware of. A person goes through life with little things happening to their body only to go away without causing serious concern. So who know.

Anyway, doc has me come back to retest to make sure positive or negative. I suspose two tests at two differrnt times can give a better picture if there needs to be concern. So tomorrow I go back. Im not sure what can be done if I did have one unbeknownst to me. Anyone else have anything simular. I just do not want to be a moneybag to my doctor as he orders this test and tbat test his own office gives. He sees an excessive amount of seniors from the looks of people in the waiting room. So Im wondering if anyone else has felt being used or odd about tests.

Thanks

My eye doctor found that I had developed glaucoma in one eye, but what was really significant was that he told me there is a relationship between blood pressure and health of the eye. In my case my medical doctor had me on a BETA blocker called Bisoprolol to lower blood pressure. The eye doctor said that the BETA blocker has been known to cause glaucoma. I'm off it now and I am taking eye drops. Like the rest of the body, the eye has blood vessels as well but we never think about it. See your medical doctor about the issue too.

No sign of a stroke. I said So this means I wont have to come back for 6 months or a year, right? My doctor finally said yes. I feel he was trying to create another test to run. Frankly, I had already decided not to go back should he say somethiing different. Just because medicare will pay does not mean they can wrack up any other excuse to run more tests.

Taking good care of our eyes is paramount to having a decent life as we age. My old Dad also had Macular Degeneration in his later years, and it sure cramped his lifestyle. Years ago, I started having a good thorough eye exam every year, and my eye doctor recommended a daily supplement of Lutein and fish oil....and so far, all is good. The cost of such exams is a pittance compared to what happens if the vision goes away, and any reputable eye doctor will Not be using these exams as an excuse to get into your wallet. If you are concerned about your present doctor trying to fleece you, it might be a good idea to try a different doctor, so as to get some good comparison.

My eye doctor once told me that he can see if his patients have certain diseases like; high cholesterol, diabetes and others. I find his eye exams to be very eye-opening (weak attempt at a pun).

Back