Exercise Bike Commercial Causes Outrage

It was a gift from her husband and the woman indicates she's worried about using it while making scared-puppy eyes. Plus it's a $2200 stationary bike. For 22 grand it should at the very least take you somewhere. :rolleyes:

It is not 22 grand...it is just a-bit over $2000.00

There is a lot going on here especially with the bike and accessories. I'm old school so I don't get the desire or need to be constantly coached, motivated during a workout. Once you learn correct form & technique and types of workout one shouldn't need accompanying videos or even music. I know people that refuse to workout if they cant' have their music.

That being said this bike/system falls right in line with the crowd that wants a personal trainer every workout. They need their hand held and be told/coached what to do and do they need the screaming for motivation/adrenaline. Some need gimmicks, tricks etc in addition to technique and regimes. But this is exactly what this bike offers and reflects on their target audience.

Note same could be said for some of these luxury car commercials. It's intended for those that can already afford with a spouse that would want it.

It says I can’t read the article without subscribing .
No thanks. My man wouldn’t do such a thing. He buys things for me that he knows I’m going to like or things I’ve even asked for. Not that I usually ask for specific gifts but have done.
Having said that if it’s a person who wants to lose weight and had shown as interest in exercising then it’s a pretty fine gift. I sure wouldn’t be knocking it and would thank the gifter.

In the UK advertising on commercial channels is sometimes overwhelming and theres was talk of flash adverts: ads that flash instantaniously onto the screen while a programme is on. I dont think its happening over here...yet. wondering if you get this form of advettising in the USA and Canada?

I wish I could see the ad. It wouldn't let me see it either. I can't think, though, that most men would just up and give their wives something like an exercise bike without her expressing an interest in it to begin with. I got an elliptical machine last Christmas. It was a present from my husband. After I told him I wanted it and showed him which one. ;)

I think the outrage is directed at the husband in the commercial (who, by the way, is just a freaking actor). Shame on him for (I guess) shaming her for not exercising? Like so many "outrages" these days, it's PC run amok. Never mind that she looks positively delighted with her present. Never mind that it's just a dang commercial, never mind that she might have even asked for it. Must be hard to be an ad exec these days, having to worry about whether someone will be triggered by something in an ad.

All I got to say is... if anybody want to buy me a $2500.00 exercise bike feel free....

I'll probably return it, but just go ahead.

I didn't see anything sexist about it...You got to did deep and conjure up a whole bunch of scenarios to get there.

I think the outrage is directed at the husband in the commercial (who, by the way, is just a freaking actor). Shame on him for (I guess) shaming her for not exercising? Like so many "outrages" these days, it's PC run amok. Never mind that she looks positively delighted with her present. Never mind that it's just a dang commercial, never mind that she might have even asked for it. Must be hard to be an ad exec these days, having to worry about whether someone will be triggered by something in an ad.
I agree with you. The PC thing is way overdone these days. It's like I say, it's like walking on eggshells and glass shards.

To me, there's a weird kind of vibe to that ad. I got the impression hubby got her the "present" as a wake up call, about keeping herself in shape. It's kind of strange that old hubby isn't peddling his butt off, either. Just, the obviously in shape wife. For me, that ad reeks of creepiness. There's a lot of undertones, and unsaid suggestive ploys.. To be honest, I believe this ad was designed to say if you want to keep your man, you need to peddle yourself thin and fit. I think they did a creepy job of inferring that motivation for getting the bike.

To me, there's a weird kind of vibe to that ad. I got the impression hubby got her the "present" as a wake up call, about keeping herself in shape. It's kind of strange that old hubby isn't peddling his butt off, either. Just, the obviously in shape wife. For me, that ad reeks of creepiness. There's a lot of undertones, and unsaid suggestive ploys.. To be honest, I believe this ad was designed to say if you want to keep your man, you need to peddle yourself thin and fit. I think they did a creepy job of inferring that motivation for getting the bike.

Of course they are trying to motivate people to get that bike -- it's an AD! And just because they don't show hubby pedaling doesn't mean he's not doing it -- it's an AD, not great theatre.

I'm not defending the ad as such, but just saying that the so-called "outrage" over this ad is way over the top. If you don't like the ad, don't buy the bike.

I don't really know anybody, who is "outraged", if they are they have a low outrage meter. But I think there is a weird vibe presented in that ad. And what's not mentioned is the 'male' version of ads for the same product.. And in those ads, a guy is just using the bike to get in great shape. No little present from wifey. No impressions of coercion. from her. No hint of losing her love. All those things can be intimated from the 'female" type ad. There aren't spelled out, but hinted at. There is none of those hints in the male version. It's that weird vibe thing.

Saw a Peloton commercial just today, it featured a man peddling it at [what appeared to be] late night......I assume, a man just trying to get/stay in shape when he had the time.....I don't hear anyone bitchin'bout that one.

The CEO of this company was on TV for an interview, yesterday. He danced all around this ad but never addressed it in any way. I come to feel this whole thing was a Madison Avenue contrived "outrage" over a purposely provocative ad to create internet chatter and "legs" for the ad.

Back